October 30, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Early' Takes Closer Look at Reality TV Study (VIDEO)

by Stephanie Opella, posted Nov 28th 2011 8:00PM
'Jersey Shore,' 'Bad Girls' Club' and 'The Hills' are incredibly popular reality shows, but what do they teach the young girls who watch them? 'Early' (weekdays, 7AM ET on CBS) correspondent Michelle Miller examined a survey done by The Girls Scout Research Institute, that concluded reality TV was harmful to teenage girls.

Miller interviewed high school students and educators in an attempt to get some first-hand perspective on the study. "You cringe at what they're laughing at or what they think was funny or okay," said Mark Otto, Assistant Principal of The Facing History High School in New York, where they use reality TV as cautionary tale. Stephanie Diaz, a senior at the high school, gave Miller her view of the shows. "You're a woman and you could be strong. You could be the best of the best of everything and you show people the worst part of you," she said.

Julie Ross, MA, the Executive Director of Parenting Horizons, had a very logical formula for countering the effects of media on children. "We have to spend more time with our children than they spend with the TV," she said. She also recommended education for parents as well, observing that a common problem with parents is that "they go into being a parent without really educating themselves on how to do that ... They think 'I'll be able to do it through instinct,' but that's not the case."

Chelsea

I grew up watching Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Magic School Bus, Hannah Barbara cartoons, Golden Girls, Boy Meets World, sports, and network news. And there was also this weird concept of actually READING A BOOK?! Countless times my mom would make me turn off my lights and put my book away to go to bed and I would grab my flashlight and read under the covers....And I loved it! I must have been a freak of nature compared to these shallow, self-absorbed, petty, prima donnas of today. Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian and their ilk do nothing for me, except make me weep for humanity.

November 29 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Dawny is Hot !!!

I am a Jersey Shore party girl and I totally love it !!

November 29 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajt1025

these reality show suck. I am sure that the networks can find something better to put on then that crap.

November 29 2011 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmgoodenergy

OK I typoed and miss spelled alot, but I hope the best to all. Thank you for your time.

November 29 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mmgoodenergy's comment
vampyreincubus

i was going to make a comment but your first one said it all better than i could thank you for saying it cuz someone needs to

November 29 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmgoodenergy

Reality TV is when you are talking to someone you know on SKYP. Network reality TV is an imberassment to human inteligence. Network Television is distracting and and on a constant ignor function. They are like extraterestrial aliens. You can see them, they hide alot, and they do what ever they want, but they are technically antisocial and unable to actually communicate with their audience in real time. They remind me of a mental patient standing on a corner screaming and yelling at bypassers not caring for a responce unless it is to sell something. Reality is always closest to the beholder. Sit closest to me and you will be my most outstanding reality. Reality does not have an off button, but it can be changed. Network Reality TV has an off button and can not be changed with out human contact, but thats not possible because you have to get past the door guards. Actually, Network Reality is not even a person. It is a conglomeration of human echos. You can not communicate with an echo because it is not capable of responce except through acoustical manipulation which is like talking to a TV rerun. Network TV has no capability of representing actual reality except when they are treating your lifespace like an accoustical manipulation. My advise, be very assertive with what comes out of the Network Television System. Beware the sheep in wolves clothing, because the sheep is actually a desguised centipede. When I talk to you I am not talking for many. I am talking for me. The internet is not a Network TV. It is a step closer to Reality Tell-a-vision where you can actually tell the vision and get a responce. Hording is a share thing and yes sometimes a greed thing. I once horded everything I wrote and they piled up into boxes of information no one could ever had seen without a way to get it out to my public. Then came the internet. Problem solved, boxes eliminated. The reality of hording is they are very lonely people. Some people hord inside their minds and are no different than those who hord touchable things. Praying is a good way to organize and eliminate mind clutter. Activity is a good way to stimulate communication. Hording is a form of regression. If you care about a horder, spend time with them and talk with them about their things. And ask them about their things. Show them an interest in being real with them and their things will become less interesting and in time together you and your friend can eliminate and organize. The horder will become a new person and understand the purpose of value and where values are stored. Real valuables belong in the heart and the mind. Everything e3lse is utility for basic survival and shairing. This year for honika or christmas or what ever give a gift that can not be touched but can be felt, understood, and cherished by a horder or anyone anywhere. Oh and don't pay for it or ask for anything in return. You would be surprised how many invisible gifts there are.

November 29 2011 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHERYL

they say that the female prison population is rising, huh, i wonder why. one thing kids see is that there are no consequences to the stupid things done on reality tv. too bad tor them that's not how it goes in the real world

November 29 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
GYPSYREV3

Whatever happend to parents paying attention to what their kids are watching? Bottom line the parents are responsible for the programs their kids watch. I also wonder why some parents allow their kids to watch this kind of trash.

November 29 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tina

It's not whether or not reality shows are real or scripted, it's the perception that they are real. They look 'real', they act 'real' and to a teenager they are reality. Teens can be influenced by video game characters, movie characters and regular TV characters - why wouldn't anyone think for a second that reality show characters wouldn't have a profound effect? And for the record - duh...who the hell let's their teens watch crap like Bad Girls Club, or any of the other junk reality TV??

November 29 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Fran Bishop

You think????? Honestly, you are just realizes the little sponges are harmed by this?

November 29 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
emmitch32

Um ..... realtiy tv isn't......real. That's what they have to realize. It is scripted television shows in a live setting. It is NOT reality.

November 29 2011 at 1:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply