December 20, 2014

'Supernanny' Jo Frost on Her TV Replacement: 'I Am Not At All Happy'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 28th 2011 5:45AM
A year ago we heard the news that 'Supernanny' Jo Frost had quit her successful ABC television show to get married and have children of her own. Now, just as 'Supernanny' production company Shed Media is about to launch 'America's Supernanny' on Lifetime, Frost's come out swinging and denies that was ever her plan.

She says that not only was the story about her starting a family totally invented by Shed Media, but that their new 'Supernanny,' Deborah Tillman, doesn't have the right credentials for the job.

Frost told 'The Daily Mail' that "I decided to leave after season seven, earlier this year. But then they [Shed Media] made up this story that I was running off to get married and have children. I am not at all happy. I feel like I worked really hard to get where I am. I am Supernanny. That's me. I only know that Deborah Tillman is an accountant and a businesswoman. She has never been a nanny."

The 'Mail' quotes a source as saying that Frost quit after 'Supernanny' producers refused to give her a raise and told her that she was expendable. Frost told the 'Mail' that "I don't really want to get into a public slanging match. Let's just say that my leaving 'Supernanny' was not exactly the Disneyfication of the story that it was made out to be."

There's a marked change of direction in 'America's Supernanny,' which premieres Tuesday night on Lifetime. The 'Mary Poppins' cape and the Naughty Step are gone, and in their place Tillman (known as "Miss Deborah" on the show) will introduce her parenting techniques such as Calm Down Corner and Lose What You Like.

Tillman originally trained as an accountant, but after several bad experiences finding childcare for her son she quit her job and went on to found Happy Home Child Learning Centers, a small chain of preschools in northern Virginia. She also earned a a master's degree in early childhood special education from George Washington University.

Talking about her new TV role, Tillman told 'The Washington Post,' "I don't want to mimic anybody. This is me being very real, very transparent. It's not a role. I just go in and do what I would normally do and put techniques in place to help families."

However, Frost is not convinced that Tillman's qualified to replace her: "She has teachers who are the real ones who do the work. She sits behind a desk. Until you have dealt with the sick and the mess of children, it is very hard to advise anyone else. I have been a nanny since I was 14. I've been in the trenches. What qualifies her to offer advice?"

Could there soon be a 'Supernanny' TV showdown? Frost says she is far from retiring: "I am working on a brand new show of my own for America. Ask anyone who Supernanny is. It's me. End of subject."

Watch Deborah Tillman giving parenting tips on 'Anderson:'

'America's Supernanny' premieres Tuesday November 29, 9PM ET on Lifetime.

Follow Catherine: @TVClaw.

Jennifer Runnestrand

I agree with Jo BUT don't get too big for your nappies, we are all expendable these days. And it's amazing how quickly fans can turn on you.

April 01 2014 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
halfenhammer1

Jo Fsot.
come over to my hosoe for me need some halp and csuion luera she mauty name momther the summp need
some halp for me and if you come over to bed weirlds celling momther name is stuamp and if you come over to my husoe for me halp for me and if you in my husoe for csuion luera she mauty bed momther the sutmp and if you need some halp for me Jo Jo need some halp for you me love julie

November 24 2012 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sophie

BIGGGG fan of JOJO sorry she is not on the show anymore. I did watch Ms Tillmna , allthough she was nice she cames acroos as cold and detached.
JOJO was warm and you know she really cared for the children and families
Two different approches two different people.

May 13 2012 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda Kiscadden

I want to know when Jo's coming back? No offense to the book learning technique but it is not working in this household. I have 4 wonderful children (or so I am told by everyone else) that fight constantly don't listen to a word I say and tear my house a part with little more then a " I don't feel like it you do it" attitude. I have done the time outs and cool down corners even taking things away that they hold dear and they don't even bat an eye. I am at my wits end and so I turn on Supernanny and my kids sit down and watch it with me they love JoJo and it is the only time I feel like a functioning family. I tried to get them to watch the American Supernanny and all the techniques she was using where the same ones I have tried out of the thousands of parenting books you can by at the corner store.

January 29 2012 at 1:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
andrea

I think it's ridiculous for some posters to state that if African-American women knew how to discipline their children there wouldn't be so many black men in jail! Obviously there are so many successful black people who came from a single parent home usually with a mom being the main parent who raised them. Any race of child who wasn't disciplined as a child can wind up in prison. It has nothing to do with whether they are black or white, hispanic or otherwise.!

A woman who is educated in childcare who also heads up childcare facilities is just as qualified as a nanny who learned many of her techniques via trial and error. I think both women bring a unique take on discipline-both use similar approaches that have positive results. Hopefully there won't be a manufactured by media feud between the two women-I think parents can learn from both of their expertise in early childhood development/discipline techniques.

January 29 2012 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GRANPRIX49

TOO much negativity about the Super Nannies, I know Mrs. Tillman personally, I worked for her at 1 of her childcare centers, No Mrs tillman doesnt wear a Apron, yes she wears pearls, And yes beyond the shadow of a doubt she knows what she's doing, if she didn't , she wouldnt be on the TV at all, I just dontlike the Title that was Given for her , she is a Teacher , she is a Guidance Counslor, she knows how to deal with children, since it was said that she would be the new Super nanny, poeple are making all kinds of comments, it wasnt up to us to make the selection of the new super nanny, who ever it was that made the choice of Mrs. Tillman, obviously had a good reason to select her, bottom line there are many familes out there that can use her teaching abilities, let Deborah Tillman do her job, if she doesnt help but 1 family, God Bless her, it's not easy, Give this Lady her props... nothing negative againt Jo either , but Deborah Tillman is there now,

December 26 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
wendy w

The bottom line...it's a business. Jo made a lot of people a lot of money - both in the UK and the US. They suck you dry and when they sense your popularity may be diminishing (even a little) they start looking for the next big ticket item. So now when Jo (who has every right to ask for more of the pie) they figure they are onto something good...so they decide to build off of everything she's created. They (the decision makers) feel they have enough leverage to say - no...and if you walk - that's okay because we've got some other things brewing. So Jo being the wise woman she is...walks.
I am a HUGE fan not only of Jo Frost as Super Nanny...but of what she stands for in general. I only wish I had her help when I was raising my son. I DO believe others are capable of doing what she did...and being just as effective doing it a different way. I don't believe that Jo Frost owns the market of parenting and disciplining children. I do believe she did brand the name Supernanny...and they should leave well enough alone. But I'm also glad she is still doing what she does best and that's helping families.
I wish this new person much success. I think she deserves a fair shot as did Jo. Many did not...and still do not believe that Jo is qualified - just on the basis she has never had her own children. We all know that's bull.
I will personally look forward to viewing more of Jo's work here in the US.
The best thing Jo can do...is continue impacting families one at a time...and avoid defending herself in the media or questioning the creditability of any new comers. She will always be SuperNanny...end of subject.

December 23 2011 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DPurpleLamb

Wow..it is hard to believe in this day and time people can be so shallow. Jo as Super Nanny was okay but who says that one person has to be "IT". We have many doctors, teachers, nurses, actors who are all great in their own right and we don't feel that we should just have one great doctor, etc. Jo does not "own" the rights to be "Super Nanny" because not actual having children of her own does limit her ability. "Helping' raise children is nothing like being the actual "parent". Having the credentials that Miss Deborah should say a lot. If we say here credentials don't count then why do we required our teachers to have certifications to teach our school. Having been a Nanny since age 14 would not qualify Jo to teach in any school. I think Jo was okay but the "naughty corner" to me was negative. Regarding the issue someone left about why Africian American males are in prision could it be because the lack of "child psychology" techniques being used rather than folks just thinking they know because they have been raising kids. Just because Jo was a Nanny for a long time does not mean she was a good one..if she was why did she leave those other positions. African American males are in prisons because of a lot of reasons, yet we fail to note all of the African American males who are NOT in prision who were raised by their parents to be upstanding people. The reference to Michelle Obama I think is so off...are we saying that any educated African American female who wears pearls with the similar hairstyle is a "wanna be'. That just proves a point being left out if you are African American you have to be 'twice as qualified'...I watched the show and loved it. My mom use to take care of other people kids and many of those kids are sucessful today because of her parenting skills, although not educated in child pyschology. The key thing there was like millions of "maids/nannies" they raised other people's children and did not have the time and energy to raise their own. Some of those African American males in the prisons are those children, maybe if their had been shows teaching how to blend the skills of early childhood psychology and basic skills those mothers would have known how to raise their children. I pray the show is a success...and Jo Frost can have her own show. Competition is always good and it would allow for a choice. McDonald and Burger King are two different fast foods and most of us eat at both at different times for different menus so why not have two Super Nanny because in the end it is the parents responsibility to raise their children. what does that say for the parents who need their help?

December 18 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cousinsbethany

Jo Frost rocks! I was actually one of the people who applied to be the new Supernanny. I have seven children and have been caring for children since I was 14. How is this new Supernanny more qualified than that? The only reason she was chosen was her very horrible misrepresentation of Michelle Obama.

December 14 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cousinsbethany's comment
Kat Marie

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/americas-supernanny/about/deborah-tillman The new Supernanny is very qualified, and she seems like a great woman. I don't understand why none of you did any research on her at all before spouting your mouths about her on sites like this.

December 20 2011 at 12:40 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jadǝ Trunks

I love Jo Frost and her strategies. If I had kids, I would certainly use the same strategies. I watched "America's supernanny" once and wasn't at all into the show. I suppose I have to watch more than one to judge, but it's just not to my liking and I don't usually do what I don't like.

December 05 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply