November 23, 2014

Melissa McCarthy: There Are Other Things to Worry About Besides My Weight

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 29th 2011 10:30AM
Melissa McCarthy WeightMelissa McCarthy has had one incredible year. The star of 'Mike and Molly' took home the Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy, besting Edie Falco, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Laura Linney and Martha Plimpton, and received rave reviews for her scene-stealing role in the hit film 'Bridesmaids.'

She followed all that success up with her first guest host gig on 'Saturday Night Live.' That's an impressive body of work for one year. However, she still can't escape talking about her real body.

"I've been up and down," McCarthy told Anderson Cooper during an appearance 'Anderson,' Cooper's daytime talk show. "I've been much thinner since my second baby. I'm still working on it. It's a work in progress."

On 'Mike and Molly,' McCarthy plays Molly, one part of an overweight couple that meets at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. In addition to all her career success -- McCarthy also recently sold several projects, including a movie and TV script -- the 'Gilmore Girls' veteran is launching a plus-sized clothing line. Yet the actress said she's still working on her body, but it's not exactly a priority.

"I hope I wake up at, like, 94 pounds," she said with a laugh. "But I don't think that's going to happen ... There's so many other things to worry about. I still worry about it, but I think, my kids are healthy, I've got a great husband, and I go to work every day and do what I want. I'll keep working on the other, I just can't put any time to worrying about it."

MBathWalkin

My dad always said "Did you ever notice there are no fat old people?"

November 29 2011 at 3:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
NANCY

I like her & her show. not everyone can be a perfect size 4. She looks happy & healthy being herself. Besides skinny isnt healthy or beautiful. there is more to this world than the youth, beauty, riches & immorality. Mike & Molly is a great program because it is about real people.

November 29 2011 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOROTHY MERCER

i think she is a doll dont change a thing unless you want to love your show molly watch it ever week keep up the good work

November 29 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
georgettec28

BenGfrorer
I would rather be a fat cow than a piece of crap like...well, you fill in the blank. I think you know what I mean.

November 29 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BenGfrorer

Mike and Molly SUCKS. Two giant fat cows, who wants to see that. This lady is annoying and has no talent, good looking people should be the only ones on TV; they earned it. I recall Steve Reeves had a hard time breaking into Hollywood and was told that good looking actors have to most trouble (implying the gold mine was in character acting). TV should be filled with good looking healthy people, it sets a good example. Also I think cosmetic surgeons should find innovative ways to lower their costs, such as a 10% discount for each customer you bring in (bring 10 and yours is free).

So to reap, No more COWS. NOOOOO MOOOOOre.

November 29 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Jack

I am so tired and done with self righteous and image obsessed Americans. Get over yourselves. There are people in this world who in order to be the "ideal" weight you all have decided we should be, almost kill themselves. Overweight is not catching nor is it any of your business. Look to your own homes and lives. I find it amazing that you can be a drug addict, an alcoholic, a thief,or a womanizing politician and the poor things just cant help themselves. Let us also not forget if you believe in God and do all of the above but attend church every Sunday...all is forgiven, but do NOT be FAT!

November 29 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jack's comment
Annie.

You are so wrong. I am over 60, and when I was a kid, all the way up thru my 30's, ALMOST NO ONE WAS FAT. We thought Mama Cass was the hugest thing we had ever seen, and now 7 out of 10 people you see on the street are her size. It is the result of modern convenience food, whether fast food drive thru or all the prepared frozen stuff you buy in the grocery. I still weigh what I did in high school as I was brought up eating correctly. My dad is 93 years old, and weighs 120 lbs at 5'8". Tell me skinny is not healthy if you eat right, and I will tell you that you are full of BS

December 05 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

you have a death wish Melissa? 94 lbs would make you look skinnier than Calista Flokhart. Sorry, I say you are gorgeous and if anyone has a problem with your looks, they can kiss your beautiful behind. :D If you feel the desire to lose weight, do it for YOU, not for the media or the public. they will tear you apart no matter how you look if they think they can!

November 29 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cdd300wm

That is one funny broad(no disrespect) on M&M. The whole cast is great and I'm glad their talent is being reconized. Billy Gardell was just Ok on Yes Dear but thats because his part wasn't that large. He really has gotton to be great, but I worry about their long term health and the show will get tired if its only fat jokes all the time.

November 29 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sethjj1975

Before you all go Mooing on about how wonderful she is for choosing to remain heavy you should think about her children that she supposedly is so lucky to have. Were she to really feel that lucky she would want to guarantee her kids as many years with her as possible, so it's sad to hear that "she can't put any time into worrying about that," because inevitably her weight will bring an end to that time.

November 29 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
TheFutureIsNOW

If you take the extra time it takes to eat, there's your worry time right there. And actually going to an OA meeting would be helpful. It's a great organization. It's all about meal plans, accountability to someone else, moving forward and forgiving oneself. But it is not about denial, which she seems to be living in. Her kids are not emotionally healthy when mommy can't run around with them and get on the floor and play. And if she has heart problems or diabetes, she will have a shorter life, not great for the kids either. And her marriage... well that's her deal. I know weight is a huge issue, for most women, but she must get serious about her own health if she loves her kids, or she won't be around for their 21st birthdays.

November 29 2011 at 1:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply