April 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Regis Tells 'The Talk' That His 'Live!' Departure Wasn't About Money (VIDEO)

by Stephanie Opella, posted Nov 29th 2011 5:45PM
Regis Philbin may not be on 'Live!' anymore, but that doesn't mean he's done with daytime TV. Tuesday on 'The Talk,' (weekdays, syndicated on CBS) he was crowned the 'King of Television,' and sat on a throne wearing a crown, cape and holding a scepter while he talked about why he left the show he created 28 years ago.

Julie Chen started in on him with a true or false question: "Were you asked to stay at an insulting pay cut?" Regis confirmed that a contract extension at a lower rate was something that he discussed with ABC, but ultimately decided against. But Reeg wouldn't let Chen off the hook that easily. He jokingly screamed back at her, "There was a pay cut as there was in ALL OF THE NETWORKS, HELLO!" Chen awkwardly protested that there hadn't been any cuts at CBS, and the two went back and forth for awhile until Regis mercifully changed the subject.

Regis then clarified that regardless of pay, he had decided it was time to move on. Sheryl Underwood offered a nice way out of the somewhat uncomfortable situation by saying, "And you said you were going to go out while you're on top!"

"That's right, and look what happened to me!" Regis replied, tapping the scepter to his crown.

mchmlb

I really like Regis & glad I got to watch him all those years.
I think the man is very intelligent & also humorous.
I also like Kelly & think she is doing a great job & looking forward to when they find a a co-host.
Keep up the good work Kelly & if youhappen to read the nasty comments just let them slide off your shoulders since there are a lot of unhappy people in the world who are just sad in life.
So,Stay positive & keep on keeping on with the laughs & entertainment....;-)

November 30 2011 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hpmustang1

Only wish he had left right after he shafted Cathy Lee Gifford. That skinny Bimbo he brought in is when I changed to another channe. I hope he goes away and stays away and takes Gelman with him.

November 30 2011 at 12:05 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bubba1zfg

Tried watching this week without Regis, just not the same. Would have been better to revamp the show, take it off until the 1st of the year, and then started over new.

November 30 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stacymill8

I already miss him.... I think he is soooooooooooo funny.

November 30 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harolddundee

Regis is an egotistical,whining,senile,nasty old buzzard.

November 30 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to harolddundee's comment
Grey

Don't hold back your true feelings and sugar coat things. Say what you really feel. ;D Haaaaa!

November 30 2011 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hpmustang1

You forgot self serving money hungry, backstabbing ,phony,ego maniac and will never live long enough to spend all the mony he's hoarded all these years. Hos wife is just like him. A match made in hell!

November 30 2011 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sensible

I'd give "Live" about 3 more months.

November 30 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linjack39

I knew Regis & Kelly wouldn't be the same without Regis and I was right! I miss him already.

November 30 2011 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Dude

When you bang the boss, you don't have to worry about pay cuts.

November 29 2011 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to The Dude's comment
Grey

EXACTLY!! Chen is such a know-it-all. I wonder how far she'd get at another network - *without* baning the boss.

November 30 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply