September 16, 2014

Was the Justin Bieber & Mariah Carey 'All I Want for Christmas' Video Too Risque for NBC Tree Lighting?

by Alex Moaba, posted Dec 1st 2011 11:15AM
Justin Bieber and Mariah Carey debuted their video for the remake of 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' during NBC's Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony on Wednesday night, a move that's already drawing the ire of viewers who tuned into the festivities hoping for family-friendly programming.

The video features Carey singing in a skimpy Santa costume and getting close with Bieber, who's showcasing his new, lower-singing voice. Although there's nothing any more objectionable in the video than standard MTV fare, the awkward spectacle made some NBC viewers uncomfortable. Whether it was because of the age difference between the 41-year-old Carey and the 17-year-old Bieber, or because of Bieber's paternity controversy with another Mariah, it appears the Peacock network may have ruffled some feathers.

The comment section of the video's post on NBC.com was filled with negative feedback from outraged viewers who found the video objectionable. One comment, from a user named Whitewolf80, read: "The All I Want For Christmas video was EXTREMELY inappropriate and quite gross;and I mean gross on every level you can imagine! This is a FAMILY show and you have 41-year old cougar Carey in a sexy Santa suit coming on to a 17-year old Bieber. She even caressed her breast!Would you show a shirtless Steven Tyler singing and grabbing his crotch in front of Selena Gomez?! You'd all be in jail. Typical entertainment lack of standards and double standards. Unbelievable!"

Check out the video below.

Watch Justin Bieber & Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas Is You'

Watch Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' Video

martinru2

Chistmas is supposed to be about "PEACE ON EARTH & GOOD WILL..." What is Mariah Carey suggesting to the young? That they can seduce anybody at any age at will?

December 05 2011 at 6:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Mariah looks absolutely beautiful/stunning in this video and the entire performance was cute and classy. She doesn't look her age (not that that matters) and people need to get past the age difference. It was just a performance and her costume and dancing were no where near as revealing and skanky as most of the music videos out there. I absolutely love this video and Mariah's voice was beautiful and blended nicely with Beiber's. I am a 50 year old woman and not a teeny-bopper Beiber fan. I just find it offensive that people are criticizing Mariah's playful perfomance in this video and making the "cougar" remarks. It's an upbeat and fun video - the critics are reading too much into it. Pedeophilia? I mean really. Get your minds out of the gutter and see the video for what it really is, festive and fun.

December 03 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vvvdreams

I"m definetly not a prude or religous, but mariahs performance tainted the otherwise fantastic celebration Is there not one time of the year that sex ual iinuendos can be left out of a performance so we can enjoy the extemely talent ed performers.

December 02 2011 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRYSTAL

I think so. I love Mariah but her "puppies" don't always have to be on display.

December 02 2011 at 3:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

She is truly one of the most unattractive people I have ever seen .... She looks like Miss Piggy!!

In the current climate of older men, and women, being accused and convicted of sexual impropriety with children - how in the world was that appropriate?

December 01 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

I've never seen anyone work so hard trying to be sexy. We get it, Mariah, you lost the baby weight...

December 01 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skye Escobar

And the comments about the kids looking at it please give me a break she was not dry humping him or anything why dont you get mad about something real. Kids see more on cartoon network and nickelodeon... Idiots.

December 01 2011 at 2:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Skye Escobar

Okay first of all I watched videos like these all my life with the rockers And WOMEN WITH LESS CLOTHES! You guys are mad cause he is looking at an attractive older lady... Everytime a woman shows her sexuality it makes everyone cry like little girls but when a man does it with younger girls it is ok. I see it all the time when men get on stage to perform you always get underage girls. Mariah just had babies and is flaunting her body nothing wrong with that. All boys look at girls or women grow up.

December 01 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

It's a Christmas song, so why does Mariah feel the need to trash it up with the slutty outfit, on top of the whole justin Bieber thing? God bless she looks great, but it's Christmas not a night club. I'll stick with the old version, because I don't need Bieber singing either. Wrecks the song.

December 01 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hvan

A kid singing to his slutty mom. What is she doing in this video -- other than humping the wall and squealing?

December 01 2011 at 1:01 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply