August 1, 2014

ABC Daytime President Brian Frons Exiting Network

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 2nd 2011 3:40PM
Brian Frons Leaving ABC DaytimeBrian Frons is leaving his post as president of ABC Daytime.

Frons will be replaced by Vicki Dummer, currently the senior vice president of current series and specials.

Frons, who became a reviled figure to many viewers after canceling 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' will exit when his contract ends in January. His departure comes as ABC restructures under the new division Times Square Studios. Times Square will handle all daytime and syndicated productions.

"While my decision to try something new was not arrived at easily, nine years is a long time in television terms," Frons said in a statement. "I'm proud of the performance of ABC Daytime over that time, and of all of the accomplishments that our team achieved along the way. I'm especially pleased by the early results for 'The Chew' and excited for the launch of 'The Revolution,' which will be one more positive step in transforming ABC Daytime for our viewers. I'll miss my colleagues and the wonderful talent that makes our shows, but know they are in very capable hands with Vicki going forward."

'The Chew,' 'The Revolution,' 'Katie' and 'General Hospital' will continue to be part of the programming at ABC. 'Live! With Kelly' will stay with the ABC Owned Television Stations Group division. In April, Frons canceled 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.' Despite a very publicized licensing deal with Prospect Park, plans to transition the soaps online never came to fruition. 'One Life to Live' ends in January.

"Brian Frons has been the driving force in our successful Daytime division since joining us in 2002, and while we understand his decision to leave at the end of his contract, we're sad to see him go," Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group, said in a statement. "We took this opportunity to rethink our business, and the result was the creation of Times Square Studios. Having it be part of the ABC Entertainment Group, under the supervision of proven executives Vicki Dummer and Paul Lee, provides us the opportunity to bring greater creative resources, development strength and operational flexibility to this key area of our business."

pjwkort

just another note------how can you possibly think canceling the soaps is a good idea----i will not be watching abc from 1 until 3 and later than that is gh goes and i think i will also forgo the view --------the chew---really

January 10 2012 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pjwkort

GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE "GENTLEMAN" WHO GOT RID OF THE SOAPS-------I HOPE HE CANNOT GET ANOTHER JOB

January 10 2012 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbrown0209

I've been watching the soaps for over 20yrs and can't believe that OLTL is being cancelled... IT WAS enough when All My Children ended but come on now...Is there any way the soaps can remain....I am a loyal viewer and I am sure there are many more like myself

January 09 2012 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonita

I will also be leaving ABC daytime television also, and I hope all AMC and OLTL fans do the same. I wish all the cast and crew the best. There is nothing that compares to the feeling of tuning into your soap to escape the real world for an hour. Seeing all our favorite stars that have been part of our lives for 40 years. If ABC thinks soap viewers will tune in to see how to lose weight or get fit, in place of their stories, they're idiots! Those shows will come and go, but they will never have the viewers like they did with the soaps. Good riddance Mr. Frons!

January 09 2012 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Good riddance Mr. Frons. Hope you can sleep at night knowing the huge blunder you made by not trying to save "All My Children" and "One Life to Live." You disenfranchised millions and millions of loyal viewers. I will never watch ABC daytime between 1 p.m. and the evening news again.

Maybe your replacement can come up with a way to bring our shows back in a way that ABC can afford and make so many people happy. If you can't afford both soaps, how about alternating weeks? And bring in some great writers for the quality story lines of the 1980s and 90s to increase viewership.

January 09 2012 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PSN

Best Wishes to all those on OLTL who have entertained me from day one. You will all be missed. Many Thanks!

Good Bye to ABC Daytime. Looking forward to both of your new shows ending up in the toilet!

And Frons... HA... Why don't you try your hand at politics. You're slimey enough!

January 08 2012 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ehmidman

It's a pity Mr. Frons didn't decide to resign before he cancelled the 2 best hours of daytime television! I don't know anyone that wants another talk show. Most of us scheduled our college classes around "All My Children" and "One Life To Live". ABC has made a huge mistake! I, for one, will not be watching ABC during the day....Eileen H Midman

January 07 2012 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dalyautumn

People come home from school, work like myself put up our feet with a cup of tea or coffee and finally relax
and are entertained by our soaps! We have been watching for so many years!!! How can you do this and now you are retiring??? Give me a break! The Chew????? I and so many people I know no longer put channel 7... It is disgusting that you did this!!!!!!!!!

January 07 2012 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeAnne

Your decision to cancel One Life to Live and then resign your position seems to be ideal for you not to face the negative retributions your decision to cancel popular daytime tv shows will cause. I for one will not watch either of your new shows. I have been watching One Life to Live for over 33 years and can not believe it will end. Sad that something so good will be gone. I wish those stars and the people behind the scenes all the best and will miss you and the show greatly.

January 06 2012 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Massey

What a dumbass thanks for making alot of people VERY unhappy.

January 06 2012 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply