October 24, 2014

The Month That Made Me Love Kelly Ripa

by Maggie Furlong, posted Dec 2nd 2011 2:00PM
Kelly RipaKelly Ripa is cute and fashionable and does a helluva job making me believe I need shiny new energy efficient appliances in my home. But still, I've never really been a fan. Until now.

Yes, TV people, this was the month that made me love Kelly Ripa. She's now charming audiences sans Regis every morning with a roundup of guest co-hosts for 'Live! With Kelly' that makes me think someone's picking names out of a deep and diverse celebrity-filled hat over there. And you know what? The chemistry is totally there, with all of them.

But that's not what turned the tides and made me see the bright, talk show host light about Kelly Ripa. Here are just a few recent examples of her media perfection, in and outside of her 'Live!' day job.

1. Re-enacting 'Real Housewives' on 'Watch What Happens Live'
Bravo host Andy Cohen goes way back with Kelly and her hubby Mark Consuelos and has guest hosted 'Live!' several times (he was even on the rumored short list to replace Regis Philbin until Bravo made his chat show a nightly endeavor). But when Kelly and Mark did some 'All My Housewives' roleplay in the clubhouse, I couldn't get enough. Their Melissa and Joe Gorga 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' impersonations were spot on -- not many celebrities would even attempt that, let alone nail it.

2. Embracing her cheesiness on 'Live!' for a flash mob with Nick Lachey
Nick Lachey was filling in for Regis for the big 'Live!' Halloween show, but he's not always exactly what I'd call intriguing. Kelly pumped up her energy to accommodate, rocking purple lycra pants and showing off her best dance moves for a fun flash mob start to the show. How many moms of three do you know who'd do that?

3. Judging on 'Iron Chef America'
There was this adorable "training" video of 'Iron Chef' fact man Alton Brown showing Kelly how to judge on the food competition show, but the best parts came from her banter on the actual show, daring to disagree with food maven Donatella Arpaia several times. When it came time to critique the fine food offerings, Kelly was thoughtful, articulate and appreciative that she wasn't eating grilled cheese sandwiches.

4. Enjoying being Regis-less with fun guest co-hosts
Look, I love Regis. The man might even be eligible for national treasure status. But it was time to shake this show up, and Kelly hit the ground running in her first solo weeks. 'How I Met Your Mother' star Neil Patrick Harris was a highlight this week -- seeing these two "high" on some kind of bizarro helium, quoting movies with booming low voices, was a delight.

5. She's even fun during commercial breaks
Let's get one thing straight: Live TV is not easy. You've got to hit your marks, nail the interviews and fit in all your segments, without the help of editing to trim away the not-so-great bits. All the bits need to be great and, as a host, you always have to be "on." This fun behind-the-scenes video of Kelly with co-host Jerry Seinfeld on her first day hosting without Reeg shows that Kelly never turns it off. And if you thought she over-shared on the show, just wait until you get to the part where she confesses that her underwear have fallen down. Somehow? Yep, adorable.

Tell me: Are you a fan of Kelly already? An even bigger fan now? My job here is done.

Hi There!!!!

I watch the show only until she mentions her family, then I shut it off. Average time is 10min...so I have never seen the entire show..

December 08 2011 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paige Cohen

she ia a bore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

December 04 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Maureen

Love Kelly Ripa! She is a true talent - funny, smart and beautiful! Go Kelly!

December 03 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Suzy

It's about time Kelly Ripa was recognized. Too bad it's only taken 10 years. I have been a fan of hers since even before she became Regis' permanent co-host. When she used to guest co-host with him I was hoping she would be selected as permanent co-host and was very pleased when she was. It was the best thing that show ever did. Kelly has a natural talent for comedy with impeccable timing. She's thinks fast on her feet and can keep up with the best of them, including Regis. My favorite guest co-host for Regis over the years has been Anderson Cooper! He and Kelly were hilarious together and have great chemistry also. Too bad he has too many shows of his own now heh. I love Kelly's self-deprecating humor and how she can make you relate to her. And she was always respectful towards Regis. These two had wonderful chemistry and knew how to play off of each other. I miss Regis and the show will never be the same without him but it's a comfort knowing Kelly is still there. Yes, something is very much missing when Regis is not there and this time sadly, it's permanent. But hopefully Kelly will become more comfortable with time in her role without Regis.

December 03 2011 at 10:19 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
POOFIE

I've been a fan of Kelly's ever since she started as Hailey Vaughn on AMC.
I must say, her chemistry with Neil Patrick Harris is fantastic....He would be a great successor to Regis, never a replacement, because, that does not exist.
Keep the show going, Kelly and Neil, will and can do it!!!

December 03 2011 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomAndDeb

She makes me love Kathy Lee even more,that i watch her and Hoda on NBC
I could never see what they saw in her.She has what talent?
She looks like an under nourished bird.
With Regis gone i no longer watch.

December 03 2011 at 9:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bimatnj

How can one not like Kelly, she is genuine, funny and definitely not over the top; She makes me laugh and I love how she made Regis crack up. I miss the chemistry that she and Regis had on the show and I hope that they find someone with whom she will have that same connection. She is no Cathy Lee who was so full of self and though it was evident that she likes Regis, did not connect with him on the same level as Kelly. Keep up the good work Kelly.

December 03 2011 at 8:16 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bimatnj's comment
cmwoj1014

How can one NOT like Kelly?? Well, it's very easy!

December 05 2011 at 11:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kadens Grandma

I've been watching Live with Regis and Kelly for years. Yes, Regis is a national icon, but it was long past time for him to
head out to pasture. I watched him many years ago when he was Joey Bishop's sidekick and also on local Los Angeles TV, and I respect his contribution to TV. However, his memory loss had become painful to watch. He was boring. No, make that Boring. I thought Kelly was cute with a quick wit, and I was delighted every Friday when Regis took the day off. No matter who Kelly had as her guest co-host, the show was far more enjoyable than when Regis was there. The best Regis days were when Joy was his co-host. When Kelly and her husband have hosted together, the show is just more fun than I deserve at 9am! Mark seems to have his own busy career and probably doesn't have time, but I do hope he will fill in as often as possible. I hope Regis keeps dinner doing dinner theater with his wife, if he can remember his lines or she can keep filling in the memory gaps.

Luckily for most of us, people like Roverboy are slowly getting educated and learning tolerance. I hate to think what a boring world this would be without all our differences. Over the years I have found that the most outspoken anti-gay people are those who are really deeply frightened because they are attracted occasionally to the same sex. Roverboy needs some therapy and I hope he's not teaching hate to his children.

December 03 2011 at 8:16 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kadens Grandma's comment
cmwoj1014

That's YOUR opinion, I loved Regis and his "memory loss" happens to EVERYONE. I guess you're PERFECT!

December 05 2011 at 11:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cmwoj1014's comment
Katie

Mark busy with his own career??? What career he doesn't even have a job they closed his off broadway show after a few weeks, Oprah dumped him and is production company is a bust. Busy I think not. He just follows the blonde ditz around like a puppy dog.

February 29 2012 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Melissa

Not too many people have chemistry with everyone who come on their show and that is what sets Kelly apart from the rest. She is an amazing entertainer. She is cute, sweet, full of energy and absolutely hilarious! Love Her!

December 03 2011 at 8:12 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cajamb

I really think she is a genuinely funny, entertaining, talented, happy person...and it shows.

December 03 2011 at 8:01 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply