September 1, 2014

'Homeland' Recap, Episode 10: Brody Runs Right Over Carrie

by Michael Hogan, posted Dec 4th 2011 11:00PM
What is Brody up to?

Every week, I watch 'Homeland' and find myself caught up in the trajectories of all kinds of sub-plots and supporting characters, only to return in the end to that same question: What is Brody trying to accomplish? Who is this secretive, seemingly tortured soldier, really? What does he want? What makes him tick?

Though the episode was titled "Representative Brody," Sergeant Nick's story line was a lot less interesting than Carrie's this week. Things had been looking up for poor Carrie, but the what-goes-up-must-come-down logic of this show demanded that she must suffer, and suffer she did. Start with the look on her face when she realized what a fool she'd been to think that she and Brody might have a future together. She'd gone to the trouble of introducing a bottle of white to her desolate refrigerator and cueing up a bit of Miles Davis, and all he wanted was to make sure that she had no intention of ever telling anybody about their little weekend at the cabin. Claire Danes earned her inevitable Emmy nomination with the expression of tasered hope that crossed her face. I felt like crying for her.

What even she didn't seem to realize as she ushered Brody to the door with a final promise never to breathe a word about their romp in the hay is that she now holds the key to his eventual undoing -- something she is entirely capable of using, as she demonstrated in the sting operation against Sahrani, the Saudi diplomat who had been working with Tom Walker and Abu Nazir. I don't care how much you despise terrorism: you had to wince at the tactics Carrie and Saul so eagerly used to get this guy to spill. Talk or we'll tell your family and your bosses that you're gay. Oh, you don't care? Fine, talk or we'll deport your daughter and make sure she spends the rest of her life behind a burka. Remind me: we are supposed to be the good guys, right?

Unfortunately for Sahrani, his decision to cooperate with the C.I.A. was tantamount to suicide. (Honestly, has anyone in this show survived the decision to cooperate with the C.I.A.?) The operation to trap Walker at the square was as tense as anything in a "Bourne" movie but more realistic, I'd wager, given the lack of fictional whiz-bang tracking technologies. As usual, Carrie was the first person to detect that something had gone wrong, that an attack was imminent, and as usual, she was a fraction of a second too late to prevent disaster. Say what you will about Carrie, though, she is one courageous mama bear: when that suitcase bomb went off, she was running at the bomber, not away from him. And from the way she wept in her hospital bed, it wasn't clear if she was relieved or disappointed to have gotten off with just a bad concussion.

But back to Brody. He spent the entire episode methodically -- you might even say diabolically -- dismantling Jess's opposition to his run for Congress. Now that we know that he's running to send a signal to Abu Nazir, we have to ask: Why? Is he really letting Abu Nazir know that he's ready and willing to carry out a terrorist attack against his own country? Is that even what Abu Nazir wants from him? Is a Congressman, who must dwell day and night in the public eye, even capable of doing such a thing? Or is Brody playing a double game, building Nazir's trust so he can betray it later?

Or could Brody be targeting a specific individual inside the government -- one whose downfall might be good for Nazir and America.

Consider this: At the end of the episode, Saul tells Carrie that she was right, that Abu Nazir has a mole inside the United States government. At that moment, the camera turns to the TV, where Vice President Walden is introducing his new Congressional candidate, Sergeant Nicholas Brody. Are we meant to infer that Walden is the mole? He was there in the situation room overseeing the Walker sting that went so horribly wrong. But everything we know about Nazir and Brody tells us that they both despise Walden -- he killed Nazir's son and then lied to the world about it!

Still, I have to ask: How did Sahrani know that Walden was going to ask Brody to run for Congress? Whoever the mole is, he or she must be close enough to Walden to know what he's going to do next.

I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but I can't wait to see what you guys have to say in the comments, since you've outsmarted me every week so far. All I know is that I don't believe that Brody, who supposedly turned against his country after seeing a boy he'd come to love like a son get killed in a bombing, would abandon his own family in the interests of bombing his own country.

There has to be another explanation.

This week's Brody-o-Meter score: 50.

ThomasG

>Remind me: we are supposed to be the good guys, right?

CIA officers are not "supposed" to be any kind of guys. They are supposed to protect this country's interests, whatever it takes. And in a potential ticking bomb situation, that means ... whatever.it.takes.

December 08 2011 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaTtHeW

What if Carrie is the mole? What if she has an alter personality that she doesn't even know she has?

December 08 2011 at 5:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Holly Houston Stein

After watching Homeland again last night, I noticed several important things. First of all the second man to arrive at Brody's house as a secret service agent sure looked like Carrie's assistant, Galvez. Can you work for both the CIA & the Secret Service? I don't think so! Perhaps he put some surveillance equipment in Brody's house to make sure Brody follows Nazir's mission.

Second point, when Sahrani was being questioned, and Saul mentioned the terrorist plot on the roof of Faisel & Eileen's house, Sahrani seemed totally surprised and he was believable. Perhaps since Galvez was the only one on the roof at the time, he followed Nazir's orders and said that you could see the airport and Marine I's spot. Thence throwing a red herring out, to divert the CIA from what Nazir's real mission may be.

Also I think Galvez was probably with Walker when Walker detonated the bomb, seemed like he waited for Carrie to be in the target range, and Galvez would have pointed her out to Walker. No love lost between Walker & Carrie, as Walker knows that Carrie was the one with his wife when she tried to trap him.

Also perhaps a metal chip was placed in Brody so Nazir knows his whereabouts at all times, thus placing Carrie in danger.

But Galvez makes the most sense, as he's been missing from the CIA recently, he was with Carrie in the car when she followed Faisel (hence giving Faisel the warning to leave), and he also went with her to the Mosque. He also drove Brody to the safe house. He's a Muslim, and we are unsure about his history, sounds like a mole to me!

December 07 2011 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AOL BlackVoices

I am getting a suicidal feel from Saul, not only in his despondency and emptiness, but also how he keeps handing over responsibilities to Carrie that surprise even her. Alhough as I typed that, it occurred to me that perhaps Saul is setting Carrie up for something by doing so. When he whispered "Carrie? Carrie?" after the bombing in this episode, I sensed guilt mixed powerfully with love and concern. I almost felt like Saul is pushing Carrie to figure out he's the mole, that he is starting to want to be brought down.

I am not that intrigued by how the diplomat knew the VP would ask Brody to run, since it seems to me it was an open secret. The Democratic Ntl Party chair and his wife seemd to know it at Elizabeth's party, plus Saul and Elizabeth, plus maybe Estes Elizabeth first came to him to check Brody's mental status. Even Jessica figured that was the direction it was going, so I think lots of people on the could have known/suspected/deduced.

Overall, dull episode for me. I liked seeing Brody be so manipulative - he learned from the master Nazir, after all - and I liked seeing Carrie's reaction when Brody shuts the door on their relationship. The bomb scene was exciting. But other than those three things, kind of an empty episode for me. And Jessica as a character is going downhill for me; she doesn't do anything anymore. Where is her job? Where are her flaws? How is she truly feeling and interacting with her husband these days? In almost every scene, she's the controlled supportive wife, nothing else, and I'm tired of it.

December 06 2011 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bitchstolemyremote

We sincerely hope that there's a more interesting story there than simply insinuating/revealing Brody is truly a turned terrorist. This coming from 24 they should know better, but hopefully they recognize we're in this for more than hasp-worthy twists and turns.

Really enjoyed the Carrie interrogation scenes this week - those taunt, adult conversations are where the show's true strength lies.

Check out our take on bitchstolemyremote.com here: http://wp.me/p1VQBq-8u

December 06 2011 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sedition

Remember a few episodes back when Saul failed the lie detector test? It is most definitively him. He is the mole.

December 05 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jorokhed

Let's see, who's inconspicuous, money-motivated, shady, a confidant of Carrie's, and was involved in the failed sting for what seemed like tenuous reasons?

December 05 2011 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shinetteb

I think it would make perfect sense if Saul turns out to be the mole. Think about it...you can dismantle the idea that anyone else is for various reasons. He's the only one for which I can't think of a reason NOT to be the mole!!

December 05 2011 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly Houston Stein

Of course we know Damian Lewis is a Brit!! I have been following his career since "The Forsyte Saga" on TV. I think he's a brilliant actor, as is Claire Danes.

I'm agreeing with the idea that I can't believe Brody would want anything to happen to his family, by agreeing to a terrorist attack on this country. Others keep hinting that the V.P. could be the mole, while I was kind of thinking it was David. But I had forgotten about Sahrani knowing about Brody being asked to run for Congress. That's a good point, how would he have known that? I don't think a mole in the CIA could have told him that, unless it was Saul. Saul was at that party with Elizabeth Gaines, where she told him what her plans were for Brody. That's what is so great about this show, it's so intricately layered and the characters are so complex, it's so difficult to figure out.

December 05 2011 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Austinlad

Me, I'm not predicting or even thinking about what might or might night come next ... just enjoying being able to lose myself each week in the story as it unfurls.Fine casting and acting all around (anyone on this thread know that the actor who plays Brody is a Brit?), especially, Danes and Patinkin.

December 05 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply