August 23, 2014

EXCLUSIVE: Misha Collins on Castiel's 'Supernatural' Return

by Laura Prudom, posted Dec 5th 2011 11:35PM
Misha CollinsOn Monday afternoon, 'Supernatural' fans finally received word that many had been waiting for with bated breath: Misha Collins is set to return to the cult series for episode 717 and at least two more when the show comes back from winter hiatus.

The news was met with such enthusiasm that Collins' name became a worldwide Twitter trending topic soon after his guest spot was announced.

Reps for the show informed us that they couldn't give specific details about Collins' return or which other episodes the actor would be appearing in, so AOL TV went straight to the source. Though Collins admitted that he couldn't reveal much, he would offer one tantalizing hint about what fans can expect when he makes his much-anticipated return ...

"I can confirm that the character of Castiel is returning to 'Supernatural,'" he told us. "I'm not supposed to talk about any details, but I will tell you this: The character is coming back somewhat changed. I'm not going to tell you everything, but I will tell you that the "new" Castiel no longer wears undergarments."

Since it's almost impossible to get a straight answer out of Collins even on a normal day, we're happy to take what we can get. We did ask Collins whether he could confirm that Castiel will appear as himself, rather than as a Leviathan or as his vessel, Jimmy Novak, as some have speculated, but he deferred, "I cannot confirm or deny that."

When the season began and Castiel's fate seemed sealed, executive producer Sera Gamble reassured us, "You certainly should not just ring the final bell on seeing Cas or Misha just because you don't know what episode he'll show up in next," so keep that in mind before you make any snap judgments regarding Collins' reappearance.

That being said, we'd love to hear what you make of this news, and what you think the aforementioned changes in Castiel might be (besides the lack of underwear) in the comments below!

Follow Laura on Twitter: @LauinLA

Alyssa Wolcott

Oh. my. god. THAT was by far the best supernatural episode I have ever been fortunate enough to live to see. He...*tears up* comes back!!! Oh glob. Today I saw the hunger games movie as well. Who needs drugs when you have amazing shows and movies like these? Please, oh please add him as a main character. Like Meg said, the boys need backup now that they don't have bobby.

March 23 2012 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AweomeSAuce

Sweet. Back in the saddle.

March 23 2012 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
memosladyi

On CW's website, the writer's promised we would be happy at the end of the season. It was hinting that Bobby and Castiel would be returning. I really, really hope that is the case, as I have grown to love Bobby and Cas. The show just doesn't seem the same without them. I love Dean and Sam, but come on! Don't bring us hotness like Cas and then take him away! And Bobby is a well needed kick in the **** for both the Winchester sons. XD

March 17 2012 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I will miss Bobby like he was my own family. RIP Bobby!!!!
I am thrilled to hear Cas is returning. I hope that "no undergarments" means that he is going comando and is going to start kicking some ***. Welcome back Misha. You were missed.

March 02 2012 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katy

i loveee deann...bt CASSS is my 2nd fav character in the showw.. i see supernatural before and after cass...bt with cas itss AWSUMMMMMMMM

February 04 2012 at 5:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
memosladyi

My daughters and I LOVE CASTIEL!!!! The show was 99.9% better with him on the show. We really want him back. We love Sam and Dean and Bobby, but Castiel really made the show more...yummy! ;-)

January 21 2012 at 12:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sue-pernatural

Hurray Cas is coming back. I still enjoy the show every week but have missed Cas/Misha in the show so this is really good news.
I like Rosemary Keenan's thinking : )

January 12 2012 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LaPierre

I almost stopped watching the show when Castiel "died". He's been my favorite character since he showed up. Bobby is my second favorite. Why do all my favorites have to die? I'm happy to see that at least one of them is coming back and I hope Cas will become a permanent member of the show. Whether Angel, deformed fallen Angel or human it doesn't matter to me, because Sam and Dean on their own just doesn't do it for me anymore.

January 11 2012 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MyBloodyValentine

Well... I'm happy that Cas will be popping up... But I'm hopingthat it's the REAL Castiel. Not just a Leviathan wearing our favorite angel as a meat-suit. *thinks* Maybe if the underwear thing is real... perhaps he'll be re-born as an Angel again. Maybe God will intervene for him again. And perhaps Bobby will be still hanging on in a coma, and Cas could heal him!

Yeah right, now back to REAL Supernatural. First, pretty sure Bobby's dead. You could hear the Reaper's clock ticking away the time Bobby had left. And at the end of the show, you heard the clock stop.

So to recap, Bobby's most likely dead, and I highly doubt it will be OUR beloved Castiel who comes back.

December 30 2011 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply