October 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Giuliana Rancic Will Undergo Double Mastectomy in Battle Against Breast Cancer (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Dec 5th 2011 12:20PM

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Giuliana Rancic, the E! host and star of the reality show 'Giuliana & Bill,' announced Monday on 'Today' that she would be undergoing a double mastectomy in her battle against breast cancer. The surgical procedure is more drastic than the course of treatment she had planned initially, when she told 'Today' in October that she would treat the disease with a double lumpectomy and six weeks of radiation therapy. But after the lumpectomies failed to remove all of the cancer cells, she changed course, and updated viewers on her treatment plan.

"Now, instead of radiation I'm going to go ahead and move forward with a double mastectomy," Rancic said stoically. When Ann Curry asked if that decision was related to her desire to have children, Rancic confirmed that had something to do with it. "That was actually a big part of it ... if I had chosen just to do another lumpectomy and then do radiation and then do anti-estrogen therapy, which means 2-5 years of medication that basically puts me into early menopause, then I would have to put off having a baby for several years," Rancic explained.

"But to be honest, at the end, what it really came down to was choosing to live, and not having to look over my shoulder for the rest of the my life ... So for me it was just very important to get the cancer out," she said.

Rancic explained that the double mastectomy, which will surgically remove both of her breasts, moves her chances of a recurrence down to 1%, as compared to another lumpectomy, which would have left it closer to 20-30%.

The couple's desire to have children was one of the central focuses of reality show 'Giuliana & Bill.' One of the reasons doctors were able to find the cancer so early was because of a mammogram Rancic's doctor suggested while she was undergoing IVF therapy.

While Rancic has a tough road ahead, she credited her husband Bill with helping her stay strong and remain focused on a healthy future. "I couldn't be more at peace with the decision," she said. "I still break down some nights. When it's quiet in bed, it's easy to start crying and just be sad. But I'm OK."

lovethemlips

what a huge inspiration you are to all of us that are scared to death that one day we will receive the same scary news that you did. Your husband is such an amazing supporter and his love for you is admirable.. You will be fine and this will all be behind you in the near future never to be worried about again...

December 06 2011 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sevans5345

Julianna and Bill...may you both be blessed with continuing to be strong for and with each other. I am a three year breast cancer survivor and my Dear Husband was and is my daily strength...God bless...and be with you each day as you continue on your journey.

December 05 2011 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dzdoterra

I wish you both the best. You will be in my prayers....God has lots planned for you....you will beat this nasty disease and live a long life. You are a strong woman...I know you will look this in the EYE and be just fine. You are blessed to have a great support/partner in your life.

December 05 2011 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vallontina

OMG Guiliana - I'm so sorry to hear this. I really hope that in doing this you will be totally cancer free and make a fresh start in trying to have a baby. I wish you a speedy recovery.

December 05 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Lord, that woman cannot catch a break!

December 05 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brandy729pa

Good for you Giuliana I wish the best. God Bless ou . I had a race cancer of my right leg. A Nevere Shaf sacoma & it was 3 grade. I was 110 Had a good shape & did not want my leg cut open & a muscle removed. I said no. But in the end they gave me 3 years if best to live & I went & get cut & had 33 treatments of radition. THAT WAS 11 Years ago. I am so glad I did that & HAPPY YOU ARE GOING TO DO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, BILL YOU ARE A GREAT SURPORT FOR YOUR WIFE. I did not have that. God Bless you both

December 05 2011 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CucaTita

god for you, giuliana. I chose the same and am still here 9 years later. God bless you!
You're gonna be fine!