October 22, 2014

'Laugh-In' Star Alan Sues Dies at 85

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 5th 2011 10:50AM
Alan Sues Dies at 85Alan Sues, a regular on 'Laugh-In,' has died. He was 85.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Sues died Thurs., Dec. 1 at night while watching TV.

"He had been in failing health the last couple of years, but it was nothing you could put your finger on; just old age," Michael Gregg Michaud, a longtime friend, told the LA Times. "Mentally, he was funny and 'on' as usual. He was a delightfully funny man, with a wonderful career that spanned six decades."

From 1968-1972 Sues was a regular on 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.' On the hit series Sues played several recurring characters including Big Al, the effeminate sportscaster, and Uncle Al the Kiddies' Pal, a constantly hung-over children's show host.

Prior to 'Laugh-In,' Sues made appearances on 'The Doris Day Show,' 'Twilight Zone' and 'The Wild Wild West.'

Sues' last credited TV role was an episode of 'Sabrina, the Teenage Witch' in 1998. He appeared at the 2008 Emmys, pictured above, to help present the award for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series.

Michaud said Sues was gay, but not out publicly because he was afraid it would ruin his career. A World War II veteran, Sues made his Broadway debut in 1953 in 'Tea and Sympathy.' He returned to Broadway in the 1970s, playing Professor Moriarty in 'Sherlock Holmes.'

He's survived by two nieces and a nephew.

Tell us: Do you have a favorite memory of Alan Sues on 'Laugh-In'?

nlee

Yes, I have memories of Alan Sues. I remember we could laugh our butts off as kids, and his sexuality (as mentioned in the report) never crossed our minds. We focused on the laughs he brought, and it never crossed our minds what he did when he wasn't working. Too bad many people can go back to the good-old-days.

December 05 2011 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Spok99202

He died watching TV? That doesn't surprise me. TV really is awful these days.

December 05 2011 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis

I think the world will miss this guy - one of the great comedians of all time - along with Gilda Radner, Eddie Cantor, Charles Nelson Reilly (I think I got it right) Jack Wilde, Martha Raye, Goldie Hawn, Harvey Korman, etc -
I think it is cool that they mentioned he was gay - we need to not be so hung up on gay vs straight - it is neat to know what people in history were gay - and what they contributed to our society.

December 05 2011 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fabfuzfoe

poor guy, Rest in Peace

December 05 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
calciofmly

"Michaud said Sues was gay".... ok, so what.

December 05 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
LOKS750

one ringy dingy, two ringy dingy.......RIP

December 05 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LOKS750's comment
ssnugsbug

The ringy dingy was Lily Tomlin's deal, not Sues.

December 05 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
floridanorm

Alan was the male Goldie on Laugh In. He made us all laugh, and will be missed!

December 05 2011 at 6:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jktejas

He was outrageously funny......Laugh-In was the perfect show for his style of satire. I would love to see re-runs of the old Laugh-In when so many of today's stars were so young, experimental and unique......RIP, Allen......thanks for all the laughter.

December 05 2011 at 6:28 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

What a sad thing to hear. All my memories of him are wonderful.

December 05 2011 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jgmrealestate

He would say Hi Big Al here with the sports and would crack me up,,. as a kid in the 60s and my friend Costa would say that to me in class and I couldlnt stop laughing so my teacher made me stand in the corner .

December 05 2011 at 6:17 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply