September 3, 2014

'The Good Wife' Season 3, Episode 10 Recap (VIDEO)

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 5th 2011 12:05AM
The Good Wife Season 3, Episode 10 Recap['The Good Wife' - 'Parenting Made Easy']

I'm a sucker for Julianna Maruglies walking down hallways in tears.

What does that mean? A few things first:

Michael J. Fox, Jennifer Carpenter and John Michael Higgins (he was freed from 'Happily Divorced' for a hot second!) all sat around in a room with Alicia for much of the episode. MJF turned in an understated performance, in a good way. Carpenter was pretty convincing as a uber Christian professor trying to get her job back and a far cry from potty-mouthed Deb Morgan. Quite refreshing. JMH fit the role of greedy arbitrator nicely.

For the first time in a while, the case of the week wasn't overly complicated, nor did it have to contend with an action-packed installment of the Eli Gold show. It had space to grow. It wasn't the most compelling, but that's OK.

MJF's Louis Canning is quite the character. Battling Alicia one minute, rushing her around town looking for Grace the next, then sneaking into her bag. He's kind of amazing.

The meat of the episode: Grace goes "missing." And by "missing" I mean she butt-dialed Alicia 12 times and she went to a seedy part of Chicago to get baptized. Normal kid stuff. From the commercials and the start of 'The Good Wife' (eerie dream alert!) I was expecting the Grace story to be a very large portion of the episode. I believe it lasted no about 20 minutes. Alicias frantic behavior wasn't out of left field. She's been worried about her kids and what her fling with Will has been doing to her home life for the majority of the season. That's what makes 'The Good Wife' so great. Any other show on broadcast TV would have just made Alicia worried for this episode and this episode only. With 'TGW' there has been a build up, a slow, sometimes painful, build up. It was worth it. Seeing Alicia throw that negligee in anger/guilt/horror was so incredibly powerful.

Goodbye, Will. Their break-up will irk some, but for me, I'm ready for the next chapter. There goes Alicia walking down the hall in tears, this time my heart didn't break (that much), but I did watch twice ... as of publish time. I'm kind of excited. What's next on 'The Good Wife'? The investigation into Will isn't going anywhere and it's beyond time for Alicia and Kalinda to knock back some tequila shots. When Grace asked if she wanted to come in so Alicia could thank her I wanted to scream "Yes!" Hugs and tequila, soon. Please?

Now that the Will and Alicia stuff has cooled (at least I think it has), I'm very, very, very ready for Diane to get some time to shine. Christine Baranski isn't given very much to do as Diane Lockhart, despite easily being one of the best actresses on TV right now. However, with what she does get, she knocks it out of the park with ease. Eli pep talks, Will consoling, broach-wearing, etc. She's a master of it all. Viva Diane/Christine Baranski!

Gasp count: 2.

Some other things:

* Alicia's sassy head til at Louis Canning will never stop being perfect.

* I've made it no secret that Grace is my least favorite character, especially on her own dancing with her tutor or talking about religion. But put Alicia in a scene with her? So moving.

Did you like the episode? Do you wish Grace stayed missing? The end of Alicia/Will -- yay or nay? Tell me below!

'The Good Wife' airs Sundays, 9PM ET on CBS

Follow Chris on Twitter.

pdwolfe

1. I would hate working in an office with glass walls and doors,
2. Can't decide which I like less, Will or the husband whose name always escapes me. Peter, right? Peter Florick.
3. I don't like the Eli story line either.

December 11 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zenson88

Watch The Good Wife Season 3 Episode 11 What Went Wrong FREE Online Streaming

December 10 2011 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

One of the things I found interesting this week was Alicia crying out in the open. The old her would have waited until she was alone, like in a closet somewhere, or the car. But, she COULD NOT hold it back. To me, that meant she has/had REAL feelings for Will.

I also like how they show the complication of every day issues. It's not so black and white. Lazy writing makes things b/w-- "he's the bad guy" "he's the good guy". But on this show- everyone is different levels of both.

Even the gay issue- Alicia didn't tell her daughter what to think. She asked Grace how SHE thought. For me, this was probably Grace's least annoying episode. I was thrown by the previews- I should know better by now. Kept waiting for her to get kidnapped. LOL.

December 05 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Christine's comment
chrisharnick

The Good Wife has always had exceptional storytelling, sometimes the show just tries to take on too much.

December 05 2011 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I truly hope this not end of Will and Alicia do not break up, I wait for each episode with baited breath, I have NEVER been disappointed yet.

December 05 2011 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glitterkorn

This was another great episode of The Good Wife, despite the gut-wrenching heart break of the closing scene. Chris - how can't you be a fan of Team Gardner?! I agree with so much of what you say (especially when it comes to Diane!), but not being a fan of Will and Alicia? That teary-eyed walk down the hall was enough to throw me over the edge... or at least send me to find a giant bottle Scotch in which to fill my Team Gardner mug.

I think they most telling remark came in the last two lines of the show with Diane and Will. She thinks Will was the one to end the relationship and he's not doing anything to dismiss that myth. While he agreed "she'll get over it" I have a feeling he means, "she'll get over her decision to break this off" because I don't think he'll be getting over it any time soon. Flash back to the earlier episode, 'Feeding the Rat,' where he inadvertently drops "I love you" into a telephone goodbye. He's not going to let the love of his life give him the world's best hug and walk out of his office in tears. Let operation "new plan" begin... and who's to say Kalinda won't be encouraging every step of the way?

In any case, I am excited to see how other story lines develop - Kalinda and Alicia are sure to be shooting tequila before the end of the season.

December 05 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Glitterkorn's comment
mike

I think you missed something. What I gotten from the Will/Diane scene at the end was Diane thought Will was the one who broke up with Alicia because Will was going to break up with Alicia to save his skin, but Will got lucky when Alicia broke up with him instead.

December 05 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrisharnick

I want Alicia to be on her own a little bit, I think that'll be interesting to see in terms of character development, that's why I'm not Team Will. I really hope Diane gets some more stuff besides being a supporting character on Eli's show.

December 05 2011 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
codemanz4

LOL at Chris Harnick getting all emotional at "Alicia in tears walking down hallways". Get some balls!

More stereotyping of Republicans. And yet people laugh when I say this show is in bed with the Democratic party.

Good, I'm glad Willicia is dead. The show, then Obamacare is next.

You fans do realize this show is getting killed by Sunday Night Football, right?

THIS SHOW MUST DIE1

December 05 2011 at 8:32 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to codemanz4's comment
Jimmy

Yes, "we fans" do know that. My response, "Well, no sh!t, Sherlock!" There was never any expectation that it would beat SNF. As for Republican stereotyping, I actually thought the Republican character was treated rather fairly. The religious aspect wasn't mocked and was actually used to defend the character's right to freely express herself. Stop projecting.

December 05 2011 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elvira

you are an idiot.

December 05 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sveskas

Noooooooo! i was crying when wil and alicia broke up they were so perfect together gahhahaha whyyy! i hope when alicia go's and saves kalinda kalinda can say some stuff to alicia about will! like pls kalinda say somethin.

December 05 2011 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Merle

Amazing season 3, i have fully watch it.

December 05 2011 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply