October 25, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Astro Puts 'X Factor' in the Past, Says He Won't Be Writing Raps About Simon (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Dec 6th 2011 1:00PM
Astro may have been eliminated from 'The X Factor' last week, but the 14-year-old rap phenom isn't exactly bummed about it. Tuesday on 'Good Day New York,' (weekdays, syndicated on Fox) Astro insisted that he's put the talent competition in his rear-view mirror, and is now focused on writing his own new music. "I'm just ready to work on some music honestly ... my mind was focused on writing as soon as I was eliminated," he said.

He declined to reflect on his temper-tantrum that went viral after he refused to perform after being put in the Bottom Two. "That's the past ... I'm not even on the show anymore, I don't even find a reason to talk about it. Not to seem like a jerk or anything, but that's the past ... I'm good. I'm on 'Good Day New York' right now because of what happened," he said.

When asked if he'd be writing raps about Simon and his experience on the show, Astro drew another line in the sand. "The show is the past, I don't even remember the show really," he protested. It's pretty clear that he thinks he has to put some distance between himself and the show that gave him his start in order to be taken seriously as a hip-hop artist. So far, he's doing a pretty good job of pretending his stint on the show never even happened.

jjosefmeyer

people keep saying hip hop is not music...strange because i have the very same impression about long haired, drug fueled guys strumming guitars to no rhythm screaming all over the place and calling their "product" music!

December 15 2011 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gsemedia

HipHop Artist? A perfect oxymoron.

December 08 2011 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sekinu2

He may be off X factor but this kid has skills and is a true MC. He will have a deal and the label smart enough to snatch him up will have an artist for years and years. he will be a money makin hit.

December 06 2011 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mate

Has anyone told this kid that he is named after a cartoon dog?

December 06 2011 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
remgenman

Astro, you are such a damn liar! You do care about the show, you did get voted off and you are a whinny, sissy ass boy in a man's world. 'Duh show is in the past," "Ya know what I'm sayin,..." You will be right there for the final just like everyone else. That is your problem, people took the time to vote for you every week and you ended up being a sissy that bites the hand that feeds you! What are you going to do when X-Factor doesn't want to have anything to do with you!? Who is going to produce your work then? No one will want to touch you due to your childish attitude. I have an idea for your next rap... "My name is Astro, a whinny, sissy ass boy who pouts and cries when I can't get my way!"

December 06 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to remgenman's comment
Marlon

You have no idea what you're talking about. Astro is putting all the controversy behind him, and he's doing the right thing by choosing not to address questions about it. Besides, the show is no longer "the hand that feeds him". For one, the X Factor WILL want something to do with him, because both Simon and LA Reid are interested in picking him up as an artist in the future. But even if that doesn't happen multiple big names in hip hop have already reached out to him on twitter. Astro will be just fine, and it's because of people like you that he's trying to put the show in the past.

December 06 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kizzchef72

Just another ****** With Attitude...NWA

December 06 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
V Cianci Cipullo

Can't understand why "Astro" should want to forget the show, it was Simon, and the rest of the cast who put him where he is...if they didn't---- he would still be in his bedroom writing music, and hoping to get his break in my opinion....:)

December 06 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply