April 18, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Toddlers Locked in Their Bedroom on 'America's Supernanny' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 7th 2011 6:00AM
'America's Supernanny''America's Supernanny' (Tue., 9PM ET on Lifetime) Deborah Tillman stepped into a world of craziness when she visited Mandy and Amy, along with their six children. With two-and-a-half year old quadruplets, it's all the couple can do to maintain any sort of order in the household.

But there were a few things that were absolutely shocking to Tillman, though Mandy had a justification for just about every one of them. First, Tillman was more than disturbed to see Mandy allowing the children to eat chips that had fallen on the floor after she had swept them into a pile.

"Forget the 5-second rule," she said. "Mandy had the 100-second rule."

The most uncomfortable moment, though, came when Amy put the quads to bed by locking them in their bedroom. "When you lock a child in a room, that's sending a whole lot of messages," Tillman told the parents. Messages like, "You're animals."

As expected, Mandy tried to justify it as a safety thing, but there's just no reason that this can be acceptable. After some good tutoring, and some restructuring of the house to establish more of a day care environment for the little ones, the women were finally able to get on board with a healthier way to manage their household and raise their children.

Lisa Werth

AOL you fail to mention that many techniques that were tried were not effective either. A 50 minute time out for two year olds---- um no. Show me in any childcare book where that is acceptable. She wanted her own limited system instead of trying other techniques.

December 10 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Barnett

I just have one question for all those who are appalled at her locking her kids in at night. Did you use a baby gate, crib tents, a baby proof door handle cover, or even just shutting the door at night before they could work the door handle, to keep your kids in when they were little? What is the difference between that and what she does? Those are all things parents do to keep their kids from wondering the house at night and really no different then what she did. You are talking about 2 year old toddlers here.

December 08 2011 at 1:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
turtle

We have let our children take over. We are afraid of our kids. When I was little(I am now 55),if I had acted like kids do today I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week. I would never have thought of talking to my parents like kids do today. I knew to respect my elders whether they were realitives or neighbors or strangers. I raised two children a son(now 29) a daughter(26),I would never let them act the way I see children everywhere act. In the stores children don't need to run around and pull things off the shelves. Tell them "NO" if they scream and act up take them out and go home. Do this a few times and they will learn. Parents need to GET A BACKBONE and take charge. Spankings and timeouts and groundings don't hurt anyone.

December 07 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kay mace

All I can say is SERIOUSLY!!! The whole thing is so wrong on so many levels I could not even imagine what to critize first...

December 07 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sageparadox

Tell the truth. It is not a safety issue. You look them up so that you don't have to deal with them. 4fs, is you didn't want to spend the time to raise your kids right, you should have them.

December 07 2011 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cfmom65

I find it amazing how quick people are to judge!!!! As parents we all make mistakes some where along the way. They obvisouly asked for help and this is why they were on the show. I do know the couple in which you are talking about, and happen to know that they are 2 of the most loving parents you will ever meet. They are kind, generous, and do the best they can. We all need to step back and put ourselves in their shoes before we judge. As far as stating that CPS should be called, shame on you!!!!! There are far worse situations that we should be concerned with!!! Much love to Amy and Mandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 07 2011 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trisha Lynn Dragon

What I saw was two people who couldn't figure out what the heck to do, realized they were failing and said screw it the kids come first lets get it fixed.

Spew all the hate you want, you go on one of those shows, you know full well you are going to be under the microscope of criticism. How many parents do you know that are drowning, their kids are out of control...but they do nothing? Throw there hands up and say they are out of ideas? How many parents just quit? Give em to foster care, let 'em rot in the juvenile system?

If you don't love or want the best for a kid, you don't throw yourself under a public bus. Which is what they did. I'm perfectly willing to forgo judging them and devote that energy instead to supporting their desire and effort to change. Any parent that signs up for something like this WANTS and NEEDS change. They were overwhelmed, and doing some messed up stuff, thats a fact. Shut UP about it and criticizing them with your freakin' hateful idiocy. Stuff like this needs to be ok to talk about. Needs to be ok to ask help for and needs to be met with sympathy and agreement that "yep, whats going on needs to be corrected."

Anybody more interested in judgement than educating and supporting those asking for much needed help, isn't worthwhile enough a human being to be bothered with anyway.

December 07 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GRANPRIX49

what parent allows their child to eat off the floor , nasty nasty, germs people, just seeing the previews I know Deborah Tillman will let them have it , they should be reported to social services, and to lock toodlers in a room, not safe at all,,,, I'am a parent aand a grandmother , I have never allowed my kids to eat off a floor, if anything you tell them to put it down when you see them about to put it in their mouth,,, what Idiot thinks its cool for their children to eat off the floor , this is just pathetic, these 2 individuals arent the best of parents, after this I hope social service knocks on their door,

December 07 2011 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elizabefal

This situation is not cool, not healthy for these children

December 07 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chocolate

As long as the floor is clean, I don't see much of a problem with letting the kids eat off the floor... it's not preferable, but also not extremely harmful. It just happens with very young kids.
Locking kids in their rooms at night is another thing entirely. Unless there is a valid medical or safety concern, it's not right or safe. If a child gets sick or hurt, they need to be able to get help fast. If a fire started in or near their room, the kids would likely die before their moms could get to them. Teach them to stay in bed, and give them time outs if they don't listen.

December 07 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply