October 26, 2014

Michelle Duggar Miscarries 20th Child

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 8th 2011 5:11PM
Michelle Duggar MiscarriageMichelle Duggar, the matriarch of the popular Duggar brood featured on TLC's '19 Kids and Counting,' has miscarried. According to People, Duggar recently had a routine check-up and the doctor could not find her 20th child's heartbeat.

The 45-year-old reality star was in her second trimester.

"After the appointment, we came back home and told the children," Duggar told People. "We had just been talking about baby names last night and they were getting excited about naming a boy or a girl. It has been a real sad disappointment."

The Duggars plan to select a name for the baby and hold a funeral service. Michelle and her husband Jim Bob have 19 children, ranging in age from one to 23 years old.

This is the Duggars's second miscarriage-- Michelle previously lost a baby during her second pregnancy. She cites oral birth control as the reason, which is why the couple said they decided to leave the number of their kids "up to God."

Before their TLC series, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared in several TLC/Discovery Health specials.

"Earlier today at a routine doctor's appointment, Michelle and I received the sad news that we lost the baby," Jim Bob Duggar said in a statement. "Michelle is resting comfortably at home with the support of the entire family. We are grateful for all the thoughts and prayers, but ask for privacy during this difficult time."

enjoi.enjoi

I still think the family is extraordinary, though! I'm literally in aw, when I see them and listen to them speak.

March 21 2013 at 6:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
enjoi.enjoi

After Josie was born I really hoped that they wouldn't have anymore kids.....not because it's too much, but because of the health of Michelle and the other babies that would come after Josie....too me it seems like it's getting to the point of a health risk....

I wasn't surprised when their 20th child miscarried at all....i feel like if they keep going, they're just going to keep "killing" more kids and Michelle's health will diminish.

March 21 2013 at 6:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rightersbloque

Good! Hope they miscarry the first 19 too.

March 12 2013 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jms150766

Folks, it is clear that leaving the # of children up to God is relinquishing the responsibility all people have for sane behavior. I wonder when their teenagers come of age if leaving the # of pregnancies up to God will still be a fashionable idea? Being a person of faith does not mean we have to be persons lacking will and a process for making the decisions that are decidedly of this world. Miscarriage is sad. Denial of self- responsibility even sadder.

December 14 2011 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jms150766's comment
iamdatria

But it's fine, because their children would never have sex before they get married.

April 14 2012 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

I am not a fan of this show. Religion or not she is a Baby Factory. For MONEY. I don't care who is offended by my comment, but if they have enough money to raise all of these kids, I would think that they could give a lot of kids who are in need a home. With the world as it is now there are so many children who have no family and often go to Foster Homes and are often used as housekeepers or babysitters or are sexually abused. I know because I have been in a few Foster homes during my childhood. I was not enrolled in school, because they needed me as a housekeeper. To me giving a home to a foster child is a much more Godly act than becoming a breeder. I know a lady who didn't have that many children, but she had 11. The last two were retarded, with different types of retardation. The body can only take so much. I get disgusted every time I am changing channels and see them. What will happen if something happens to her and her husband. Where will those kids be then. I am really appalled at their decision to keep having kids.

December 14 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sdbennett23

I feel the Duggers are lucky with nineteen children. My thoughts are how can they spread themselfs and give eaach one of the children the proper attention. What is their reason for having so many children. I have my own thoughts about that but I will keep it to myself. I feel they should quit and enjoy the children they have. Don't risk having another baby for the safety of the baby and the mother. Thats just my own thoughts.

December 14 2011 at 12:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Barb

I can not beleive how many people send prayers and hate at the same time.

December 14 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ava

who pays to support these kids? Just asking.

December 14 2011 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
terri

If you haters have nothing nice to say then just shut up and keep your comments to yourself. The Duggars need support during this very difficult time not dumbass comments from you jealous haters. My prayers go to the Duggars and may God Bless them in this very hard time. I know they will get through it because they are a very close loving family.

December 13 2011 at 1:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
terri

you people that sit here and critisize the Duggars have no right at all this is what they believe in and I think they are a wonderful family. I think they are both saints to be able to love and take care of that many children. Most people can't even handle one child let alone 19. What about the women who have sex with many different people and get pregnant, then abort just because they don't want the baby or can't handle it, or the parents who murder their children because the baby wouldn't stop crying. The Duggars should be praised for how well their children are behaved and how they have grown. I wish my family was as close as theirs. My prays are with the Duggar family during this most difficult time.. And all you haters can go to Hell and f off.

December 13 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to terri's comment
hockeychick3993

For such a "Godly" person, you sure have such a hateful, nasty response. I do not hate thr Duggars and I am sorry she miscarried, however I personally feel that at some point it's a mater of more than God, but the health of yourself and child. 19 is a hell of a lot of kids to have and she did have complications with the 19th. I am not denying the kind of people they are, but their children are not living a "normal" realistic life. It is one thing to just be home schooled, but it is another where you only socialize with other big families and can only go out in groups. The older kids grow up taking care of the younger ones all the way down the line (helping the parents, not raising them), but that is no life for a child. They need to have a real childhood, socializing with kids their age who do things for their age group. It's great to have a close family, but these children need to experience real life outside from their parents and siblings.

December 15 2011 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply