April 20, 2014

'The X Factor' Recap: Top 4 Revealed - Who Was Eliminated? (VIDEO)

by Laura Prudom, posted Dec 8th 2011 9:10PM
The X FactorFor one blissful moment around the ten minute mark, I almost fooled myself into thinking that this week's 'X Factor' results show was only a half hour long. Surely, I thought, they couldn't stretch the announcement of the final four over an hour. (Do I even go here?)

Sadly, thanks to musical performances from Lenny Kravitz -- with no probing questions about 'The Hunger Games,' for shame, Steve Jones -- and Mary J. Blige, plus an inane video introducing us to the tireless backstage crew, the producers just about managed to pad the episode. And what a shocking episode it turned out to be.

The act sent home this week was ...

Rachel Crow. (I know, I'm as baffled as you.)

Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene and Melanie Amaro were put through by America's votes, while Marcus Canty and Rachel Crow had to sing for survival.

Marcus, a veritable pro at being in the bottom two at this stage of the game, chose 'I'm Goin' Down,' and once again left it all out on the stage. He was less nasal than he was last week, using the stage well and adding a few interesting runs to spice things up, and that consistency undoubtedly made it a harder contest to judge.

Rachel tackled 'I'd Rather Go Blind,' and it was one of her best performances to date, suiting her husky, bluesy tone. She lost her pitch a little in the latter half of the song, but she kept her composure far more than Marcus did the first time he was in the bottom two, only shedding a couple of tears at the end.

Simon and L.A. inevitably voted to save their acts, while Paula chose to send Marcus home, as Rachel was "the one who really blew me away." Nicole (once again making it all about her) cried and flapped and chose not to make the decision because she adored both acts so much, which was an action she'll be having nightmares about for the rest of her life, I'm guessing.

Sending the decision to deadlock, America's votes then sent Rachel home. Nicole's inability to act like a grown-up was certainly a deciding factor in eliminating another of Simon's contestants, but since it was America's vote that struck the final blow, the viewing public was responsible for the shocking exit this time around. Simon promised that we'd be seeing more of Rachel (the ink is probably drying on her new contract as we speak) but Nicole seemed devastated -- and rightly so.

Seriously, though, people -- does Marcus have to kill a puppy on stage to get voted off? Whatever else happens, I think Nicole would be wise to start packing for the UK now.

'The X Factor' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on Fox.

Were you shocked by America's vote? Who do you think should've gone home this week?

Follow Laura on Twitter: @LauinLA

Sheri

hating nicole.on x-factor I wont be watching it anymore

December 12 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

how creepy that little girl is she seems mentally disturbed the mother did that to her i bet she is like a little old woman.

December 10 2011 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dlane64

Why even have them sing for their lives? If the judges don't base their decision on the performance. That whole part of the show is a waste of time. Just say ok America has voted, and the lowest amount of votes go home. Why even bother to have them sing their hearts out for a chance to stay. When Rachael should have stayed last night. This is comming from a big Marcus fan.I think it was not fair. But who am I to say?

December 09 2011 at 9:52 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
gloriasmom50893

I hope that Nicole is happy that she was instrumental in voting off one of the three best contestants on the show. I would bet that America didn't mean to vote Rachel off, sometimes people just don't vote or they figure she's a shoo-in. Nicole is a terrible judge. I happen to like Josh best but think that he would be better off with anyone else as a mentor. I had to agree with Simon that all those stupid dancers were an unnecessary distraction and could cost him the contract. The top three should definitely be Melanie, Josh and Rachel in no particular order. Marcus has been in the bottom three for 3 weeks now. Does that tell you something NIcole? That's why the judges are asked to step in so flukey weeks don't prohibit a true talent from inadvertenly being voted off! Let's vote off Nicole!

December 09 2011 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gloriasmom50893's comment
Theodore

The viewers voted her off ! Nicole only played by the rules.

December 10 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barkoz1

Nicole when you took the job as a judge you have to make a choice you dissappointed the audience the voters yourself you should not be a judge any longer you should have never done what you did

December 09 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
snoopypye

I was shocked that Chris Rene is still there. Now lets think about it seriously. Even if he was the best ( and he isn't) does it make sense to put someone who is trying to get his life together away from drugs, to encourage him to become a recording star? I do think there are many, many, did I say many STARTS in rehab because of drugs? Rachel Crow is another Srirley Temple type. talented, beautiful young face and smile not to mention the personality plus. She was born to be on stage. Of course my favorite is Melanie Amaro.... another great voice and diva born to be a star. As an old timer I keep saying I am not going to watch any more cause it ends up being who is talking to whom on the Judge Panel. Too much going against each other like protecting their prodige. Puts too much DRAMA to the show. In the other shows American Idol and America's Got Talent, the judges are impartial..... Ok I have said my piece.... LOL Thanks for allowing us to share our thoughts. I am 71 so computers are very intimidating to our generation.

December 09 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
monicaw818

Without a doubt...THEY GOT IT WRONG. Rachel not only out sung Marcus, but she was consistant on all her performance. Marcus does not have an identity, he is trying to hard to be like Usher or any other R & B male singer. It may be true that Rachel got the least amount of votes (which I truly don;t believe) but I think that Nicole did not want Simon to have two powerhouse singers in the final. I like Josh and think is a very talented, but Nicoles actions will have negative ramifications because people will not vote for him to spite her for voting off Rachel. It is a shame because I agree that Josh, Melanie and Chris should be in the finale. Marcus was in the bottom for the last three weeks for a reason. Rachel will be just fine...she has such a presence and I know her fans will see that she succeeds. And a Note to Nicole: Remember POP STARS??? Karma is real and you just sealed you fate.

December 09 2011 at 6:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
d111wise

the X factor has to be the worst show on tv terrible talent worst judges and so much fake drama just sorry that they renewed this show for a second season

December 09 2011 at 6:00 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
eturoel

This little girl is as cute as the proverbial "Pin."
I can see how Nicole was unable to reach a decision.
Rachel's reaction was heart-breaking.
I wish I could have heard her performance but my computer only showed the judging part.

December 09 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikoba

Sara, you're kinda missing the point. The "Sing for your Life" component of this competition is supposed to help prevent this kind of misstep. Sometimes America gets it wrong and this provides an opportunity to correct that. Really, very few people really believe Marcus is better than Rachel, they just thought everyone else would vote for her.. so they cast votes for the other underdog. Nicole apparently thought the same, surely Marcus got the least votes after being in the bottom two THREE times. Oops... nope, she blew her chance to ensure the right person made it to the finals. Just like all those who didn't vote for her because they were certain she'd make it through. What it all really boils down to is this... the safety net broke. Thanks Nicole!

December 09 2011 at 5:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mikoba's comment
day123

I know, right?!!!!!

Seriously- at this point, they need to start psycho-analyzing these judges before they sign them to a contract!!! This is RIDICULOUS!!! All she had to say was- "Marcus as much as I love you- you have been in the bottom 2 for the 3rd consecutive week. I'm sorry, honey, but I'm going to have to send you home".

I mean.....IS IT REALLY THAT DIFFICULT?!!!!! Put him out of his misery, for goodness sake!!!!!!!

December 12 2011 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply