July 28, 2014

'CNN Heroes': Go Behind the Scenes with Anderson Cooper (EXCLUSIVE)

by Crystal Bell, posted Dec 10th 2011 12:40PM
cnn heroes anderson cooperMost televised award shows celebrate accomplished actors and performers, but for one very special night, CNN will honor everyday people, who are making extraordinary strides in their communities to make the world a better place, during their fifth annual 'CNN Heroes' broadcast.

"I've never gone through a whole show without tearing up backstage somewhere," host Anderson Cooper revealed in this exclusive behind the scenes clip. "When you tune in to watch 'Heroes,' you really are transported and transformed in a way."

Joining Cooper will be 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 13 winner, J.R. Martinez, who will co-host the pre-show of 'CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute' on Dec. 11. Before joining the cast of ABC's 'All My Children,' Martinez, an United States Army infantryman, was badly injured when his Humvee truck ran over a landmine in Iraq. He suffered a coma and intense burns on over 40 percent of his body, lost most of the hair on his head and one of his ears.

Following his accident, Martinez spent over two years in the hospital, undergoing 33 surgeries in just 34 months, including skin grafts and tissue expansions, to repair the damage to his body.

Participating in this year's tribute include comedians Jerry Seinfeld and George Lopez; actors J.R. Martinez and Chris Colfer; musicians Ice Cube and will.i.am; model Christy Turlington Burns; former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner; and actresses Laura Dern, Mary-Louise Parker and Sofia Vergara. In addition, Kid Rock will perform his song 'Care,' while Miley Cyrus will perform her multi-platinum hit ballad, 'The Climb.'

Go behind the scenes with Anderson Cooper as he explains the ups and downs of hosting a live show, in the clip below. 'CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute,' will air on Dec. 11 at 8PM ET on CNN.

Cate

He's a rare, awesome human being. I'll be watching!

December 11 2011 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leroycanty

He needs to talk about more important issues like 90% of all the illnesses and diseases is cause by the fluoride (poison) in our drinking water and food.

December 10 2011 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Why does it seem like EVERY single media source keeps pushingbthis guy on us .... And still, NOBODY watches him. He is in the ratings basement.

December 10 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sean's comment
Cate

I watch him everyday. Nobody is pushing him on you, you ARE interested, otherwise, why comment? He's talking about honoring heroes, and you're bashing him. Classy you are not.

December 11 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lamduck

I watch Anderson Cooper every day. I find him to be a very intelligent, warm, caring person. His shows are very interesting and informative. Keep it up Anderson!

December 10 2011 at 6:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lamduck

December 10 2011 at 6:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
4EVR

Anderson Cooper. He has a very famous mom?

December 10 2011 at 5:50 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Shelby J. Craw

I like Anderson Cooper, he is a gentle man who brings class to the news. I wish he would join Fox and Friends then my Television News Progams would be complete. Good Job Anderson.

December 10 2011 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelby J. Craw

I Lke Anderson Cooper, I find him to be a nice gentle man, I wish he would move to Fox and Friends, he complete my news watching.

December 10 2011 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shelby J. Craw's comment
Cate

Why would he move to Faux News? Change the channel and learn something.

December 11 2011 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee Duncan

I think with Anderson's new talk show on NBC, he has the chance of becoming the male Oprah, not to mention his work on 60 Minutes and CNN. Three jobs. WOW! And all that after losing his only brother to suicide. Now that's what I call "carrying on." He is excellent and personable on all three. GO ANDERSON!

December 10 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stevepustic

Anderson Cooper is a moronic idiot.

December 10 2011 at 2:49 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to stevepustic's comment
Cate

Just admit you have a crush on him. Go on.... admit it.

December 11 2011 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply