60 Minutes might actually be closer to sixty minutes long this Sunday. The iconic news program will have only one sponsor, Philips Electronics. Two brief ads from Philps, along with spots for CBS shows and ads from local markets will result in about six and a half minutes of ad time, or about half of what the show usually utilizes, providing "more content and less clutter," according to executive producer Jeff Fagen. Hopefully this will also give Andy Rooney more time to complain about herbal shampoo.
Mike Wallace has been one of the main faces - some would say the main face, along with Andy Rooney - of 60 Minutes since its debut in 1968, but the 87-year-old is finally going to cut back on the amount of stories that he does on the show (he'll do about 5 or 6 stories this year).
He'll also have a different position in the opening. For years he's been saying "I'm Mike Wallace" at the start, but now he'll say "I'm Lesley Stahl" instead. Just kidding. He'll be at the end of the opening now, doing the "those stories and Andy Rooney" line. Ed Bradley will replace Wallace in the first position, and Dan Rather will be coming over from over from the cancelled 60 Minutes II.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 21 Best Finale Cliffhangers of the 2014-2015 TV Season
- 15 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2015
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Woman in the Whirlpool'
- 'The Whispers' Season Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'UnREAL' Cast Photos: Meet the Bachelor, Contestants and Production Folks from 'Everlasting'
- More From BuddyTV
- Chicago Med: Arrow Alum Colin Donnell Joins Spinoff as Series Regular
- Teen Wolf: Five Teases from the Twisted Season 5 Premiere
- American Odyssey: Allison Mack Learns a Big Secret From Odelle's Daughter
- TVLine Items: Married Parents Cast, Oil Renamed, GH's New Dillon and More
- HBO's Clarence Thomas Movie Casts Greg Kinnear (as Biden), J-Hud, Others
- More From TVLine
- Singer Sarah Blackwood on Being Booted From United Flight: 'A Big Mess Over Nothing'
- Miranda Lambert Has the Most Badass Response to a Sexist Country Radio Exec
- 13 Best Pieces of Advice From 2015 Celebrity Commencement Speeches
- New Documentary Explores the Pressure for Boys to Act Like Men
- Chris Soules & Whitney Bischoff Speak Out After 'Bachelor' Breakup
- More From ET