60 Minutes might actually be closer to sixty minutes long this Sunday. The iconic news program will have only one sponsor, Philips Electronics. Two brief ads from Philps, along with spots for CBS shows and ads from local markets will result in about six and a half minutes of ad time, or about half of what the show usually utilizes, providing "more content and less clutter," according to executive producer Jeff Fagen. Hopefully this will also give Andy Rooney more time to complain about herbal shampoo.
Mike Wallace has been one of the main faces - some would say the main face, along with Andy Rooney - of 60 Minutes since its debut in 1968, but the 87-year-old is finally going to cut back on the amount of stories that he does on the show (he'll do about 5 or 6 stories this year).
He'll also have a different position in the opening. For years he's been saying "I'm Mike Wallace" at the start, but now he'll say "I'm Lesley Stahl" instead. Just kidding. He'll be at the end of the opening now, doing the "those stories and Andy Rooney" line. Ed Bradley will replace Wallace in the first position, and Dan Rather will be coming over from over from the cancelled 60 Minutes II.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- First Look: Gracepoint Detective Issues a Stern Warning to Danny's Killer
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Arrow, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, Longmire, Castle and More
- 'Ship Shape: How Fave Pairs From Major Crimes, Defiance, Witches, Falling Skies and Other Shows Are Faring
- TVLine Items: Fringe Fave Goes Orange, Ferb Gets Lost, Vikings Trailer and More
- Lee Pace 'Proud' of Halt and Catch Fire, Hungry for Hannibal and More Pies
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE! Channing Tatum Teases 'Magic Mike 2' Will Be 'Very Different'—Find Out How!
- Kiefer Sutherland Responds to Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Comments
- Hilary Duff's Comeback Single 'Chasing the Sun' Leaks
- Robert Downey Jr. & 'Avengers' Cast Unleash 'Age of Ultron' Details & Big Laughs at Comic-Con
- Freddie Prinze, Jr.: Working with Kiefer Sutherland Made Me Want to Quit Acting
- More From ET