Remember that? It was the disastrous reformulation of the Coke taste that people didn't really like and it came and went rather quickly in the mid-80s (though you could still get it in some areas as recently as 2002!). Wikipedia has the history of New Coke (long, but very much worth the read), and here are the commercials that introduced it to the world.
There are a lot of choices. In 1994 we saw the premiere of Friends, ER, The Game Show Network, Due South, Touched By An Angel, My So-Called Life, and Inside The Actors Studio. Or how about 2000, which saw the debuts of Survivor, Ed, CSI, and Curb Your Enthusiasm? And 2004 wasn't too shabby either, with the launches of Lost, Rescue Me, Entourage, Veronica Mars, House, and Desperate Housewives.
Amy Heckerling, the woman behind such movies as Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Clueless, Johnny Dangerously and the Look Who's Talking films, is developing a series for NBC with the working title of 1985. The series will serve as a sequel to George Orwell's 1984, except it won't, because I'm lying. Actually, the series will focus on a young girl growing up as a teenager during the Reagan era. The sitcom has been picked up as a script by NBC, with Heckerling slated to write, direct and executive produce. The project will also use music from the 80s, which makes sense because using songs from the Civil War would just be confusing. The show will also have a voiceover of the young girl as an adult reflecting back on her childhood. I've always found it interesting how narrators on TV shows can recall every detail of their childhood when I can't remember what I ate for breakfast three days ago. I guess that's the magic of TV for you.
[via tv filter]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Separation of Crows'
- 'Nashville' Recap: Will Rayna Choose Career Over Romance?
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Edward Mordrake's Hellish Carnival Gets a New Freak
- 'Criminal Minds' Recap: No Treats for These Kids on Halloween
- 'Arrow' Recap: The Devil Returns to Starling City
- More From BuddyTV
- Revenge Sneak Peek: Victoria Loses Her Cool During David's Big TV Interview
- Reign Wedding Drama: Jonathan Keltz Talks Leith's Future With(out) Greer
- NCIS Fave Diane Neal to Bring Agent Borin to NCIS: New Orleans
- Vampire Diaries Newcomer Talks Jo's Dark Past, Bright Future With Alaric
- Nashville Recap: Ruke-lear Disaster
- More From TVLine
- Apple CEO Tim Cook: I'm Proud to be Gay
- Ricki Lake Files for Divorce from Second Husband Christian Evans
- If You Must Be a Country Cliché for Halloween, Maddie & Tae Can Show You How
- Is MTV's 'Slednecks' Their Craziest Show Yet? Watch The Cast Take a Shot of Blood!
- ET Sneak Peek: On Set With 'How To Get Away To With Murder' and Viola Davis
- More From ET