August 30, 2014
by Adam Finley, posted Sep 4th 2006 3:01PM
Sometime ago I had a brief e-mail confab with Amid Amidi, a cartoon historian and writer who also worked for Spumco, John K's animation studio. We talked about a book he was working on titled Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in Fifties Animation. That book is now available for purchase, and I recommend it to anyone interested in this particular era of animation and design. The book is filled with wonderful production stills and sketches from the television age, and Amidi goes into great details about the production studios (Hanna Barbera, Terrytoons, etc.) as well as all the great artists of that era who took a new direction from the animated images of the 30s and 40s and introduced a brand new modern aesthetic: Tom Oreb, Maurice Nobel, and the recently deceased Ed Benedict, who was able to create distinct characters for Hanna Barbera on a low budget that are still admired today. Amidi also has a Web site called Cartoon Modern, and he runs the Cartoon Brew site with fellow animation buff Jerry Beck.
by Adam Finley, posted Jun 10th 2006 8:03AM
Hey, how's your weekend going? Pretty good? Got any plans? Did you say just say "yes?" Why did you answer me out loud? It's not like I can hear you. Anyway, I like to occasional toss random tidbits your way on these lazy weekends, so I invite you to click over to News from me, which has a very funny clip from Sid Caesar's seminal comedy variety series, Your Show of Shows. This was the serious that featured the talents of some of the greatest actors and writers in the business such as Carl Reiner, Woody Allen, and Neil Simon. In this clip, Caesar, Reiner, Howie Morris and Imogene Coca play mechanical figures on a town clock that slowly begins to go haywire. Sit back, laugh, and watch how the pros used to do it.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- Fall 2014 Calendar: 121 Premiere Dates
- More From BuddyTV
- Looking Finds Season 2 Gigs for Crossbones Co-Star, Late Night Comic
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Finding Carter and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Anna Paquin
- Outlander's Sam Heughan on Whether Jamie's the Man to Govern a Clan
- Report: Amazon to Revive The Tick, Starring Patrick Warburton
- More From TVLine