As part of the new deal, episodes of new seasons from Disney-ABC shows will be available on Netflix 30 days after the last episode of each season airs.
'Alias,' 'Switched at Birth' and 'Kick Buttowski' will now be available on Netflix. The new deal extends to the previous seasons of 'Lost,' 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'Ugly' Betty,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Private Practice' and 'Desperate Housewives' that are currently on the streaming service. 'Army Wives,' 'Melissa & Joey,' 'Make It or Break It' and various Disney Channel shows will also remain available.
Overseas sales of the show aren't strong, either -- a surprising fact, considering that a lot of syndicated action shows do better overseas than they do in the United States.
This is all a way to explain the following: ABC has renewed 'Castle' for another season. ABC is not just jumping on a strong pairing of 'Dancing' and 'Castle,' because you can't count on that always being the best draw of a Monday night.
To use a well-worn phrase...Good News, Everyone! Your friends over here at TV Squad are heading on out to San Diego during the last week in July to cover one of the bigger, if not biggest, comic book and science fiction conventions on mainland America and the world. I speak, of course, of ComicCon.
From July 24th through July 27th you'll see us with our TV Squad T-Shirts (and underwear -- viewings of those by appointment) as we join the rest of the throngs attending the convention. At some point we may even be doing a bit of Twittering to find out where you are at the convention so you can find us in order to shake our hands (or, in the case of some of our commenters, punch and kick us) and potentially get some free stuff as well.
Now comes words that the Ugly Betty production may actually pull up stakes and make New York its real home, complete with costumes, props, studio and stars. The ABC Studios are contemplating the relocation for financial reasons, including very lucrative tax credits. While that's good for the producers, it sucks for the crew. They won't be transported to the city; they'll be let go -- about 150 in all. But if you're a glass half-full kind of person, that's 150 new jobs for New York workers. As for the stars, this change isn't a big deal as most are from New York and aren't objecting to moving -- at least that's the word from ABC.
But the network hemmed and hawed about making those wrap-up episodes. So now ABC Studios is finally talking about making the long-threatened move of moving the show to its parent network, ABC. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the two Disney-owned companies are in negotiation to bring 18 episodes to the alphabet network, likely starting next fall.
I have a confession to make: I don't hate According To Jim.
Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for home-based sitcoms or maybe it's because I've had a huge crush on Courtney Thorne-Smith since the 80s (Day By Day!), but the few episodes I've seen were cute, amusing, and harmless.
Of course, that doesn't mean I necessarily welcome this news, that ABC is in talks with ABC Studios to bring the show back for an eighth season.
Last Friday intrepid TV Squad reporter Isabelle Carreau posted an item about Criminal Minds lead Mandy Patinkin not returning to the CBS drama. Now it has been confirmed by both ABC Studios and CBS Paramount Network Television that Patinkin is definitely not returning to the program for the new season.
In press releases sent to the hugely palatial TV Squad offices both ABC and CBS stated that Mandy left the show due to "creative differences" and not because of contract renegotiations or salary disputes. As Isabelle reported in an update to her post Patinkin will return for one episode early next season that will explain his departure from the series. In the meantime, a new character will be added to Criminal Minds to fill his spot.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Season 4 Premiere: 17 Shocking Moments from 'Green Arrow'
- 'Criminal Minds': The 9 Moments Leading Up to the UnSub's Final Plan in 'The Witness'
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from the Season 11 Premiere
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Episode 3.3 Photos: Pandora Unleashes a Dangerous Artifact
- 'NCIS' Episode 13.4 Photos: Vance Returns to Field Duty
- More From BuddyTV
- FX Renews Tyrant for Season 3
- Halt and Catch Fire Scores Season 3 Renewal Amid Showrunner Switch
- Twin Peaks Recasts Major Role for Revival (and It's a Total Bummer)
- Game of Thrones Casts New Red Priestess, But What Does It Mean?
- Ratings: Arrow Hits Best Premiere Number Since Series Launch
- More From TVLine
- Lance Bass Clarifies 'Inappropriate Touching' Comments: 'No One From *NSYNC Was Molested'
- Janet Jackson and N.W.A. Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Once Upon a Time' Sneak Peek: Hook and Emma Relive Their First Date -- And It's Intense!
- Marvel Announces 'Ant-Man' Sequel -- and a Female Superhero Is Finally Getting Her Name in the Title!
- Alek Skarlatos Asks Fans to Pray for 'Stone Family' After Fellow Train Hero, Spencer Stone, Is Stabbed
- More From ET