Marisa Tomei is set to star in a comedy pilot for CBS titled The Rich Inner Life of Penelope Cloud. Tomei will play a writer who's struggling to write a second novel after her first novel is met with great acclaim. Like all the other pilot announcements, this one doesn't offer many details, except that Tomei's character learns to recapture the optimism of her youth.
I have to say, I've never understood anyone who feels that children are automatically optimistic. As far as I can remember, I was never all that optimistic as a kid. If anything, I was morbidly realistic: while my friends would laugh at Tom and Jerry cartoons I would see Tom's continuous battering as a symbol of the futility of existence and the inevitability of death. I wonder if CBS has any interest in a pilot about a kid who watches cartoons and then crawls under his bed and cries for six hours? I should give them a call.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Reign' Episode 2.20 and 2.21 Photos: Mary Questions Everything After a Bittersweet Discovery
- 'Bones' Episode 10.16 Photos: The 206th Episode Will Name All 206 Bones in the Body
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.22 Photos: The Team is Surprised to Discover Gibbs' New Friend
- 'Orphan Black' Postmortem: Co-Creators on [Spoiler's] Death, Team Hendrix's 'Suburban Madness' and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Descendants Trailer Conjures the Kids of Maleficent, Cruella, Other Baddies
- Daytime Emmys: The Winners Are....
- Mentalist DVD Sneak Peek: Who Was 'Scared' About Jane/Lisbon Hook-Up?
- Good Wife Sneak Peek: Kalinda Pays Alicia a Visit, Ends Up in Tears
- Quotes of the Week From Scorpion, S.H.I.E.L.D., Wendy Williams and More
- More From TVLine
- Entertainment Tonight Wins a Daytime Emmy!
- 2015 Daytime Emmy Arrivals Red Carpet
- Hologram Stephen Hawking Consoles One Direction Fans With Multiverse Theory
- The Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Award Winners: A Roundup
- The Best Zingers From Cecily Strong's White House Correspondents' Dinner Speech
- More From ET