This year if Billy were there, his medley would be about 20 minutes long to include all ten nominated movies! They'd have needed an oxygen tank in the wings to revive him after that.
But here's a wickedly wild idea that might have set the Oscars into to fierce wilderness of 'oh-my-God' TV. The Oscar producers were toying with the idea of having Sacha Baron Cohen host the show. Yep, believe it. Producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic were on NPR's 'Fresh Air' with Teri Gross, and they said when they contemplated shaking up the broadcast, they thought of 'Borat.'
Since the turn of the new millennium -- been a while since you heard that phrase, huh? -- cable networks have been playing the movie game. TBS, HBO and others have all brought big name movies to television at a very slow pace.
USA Network has made a 11-movie deal with Universal Studios to bring films such as The Bourne Ultimatum and Children of Men to the NBC-owned channel.
The video is after the jump. It's pretty long, so if you just want to see the modeling bit, it's at 8:00.
- Ali G Show - Complete Series
- Alias - Season 5 and Complete Series sets
- Boston Legal - Season 2
- Dr. Katz - Season 2
- Family Affair - Season 2
- Get Smart - Complete Series
- How I Met Your Mother - Season 1
- Kenny vs. Spenny - Season 2
- Match Game '73 - Best Of
- NoTORIous - Season 1
- Perry Mason - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Seinfeld - Vol. 6
- Star Trek Animated - Complete Series
In the excerpt that RS has posted online, we learn a few interesting things: for instance, we've known for some time that Cohen is Jewish, but here we learn that he's so observant that he keeps kosher and observes Shabbos (you'll never see him on Friday nights or Saturday during the day). We also find out that he's a bit reserved and would rather be plying his comedic trade behind his characters' faces than do anything on his own. It's an interesting read that makes me want to actually pick up the dead-trees version to read the entire article, which is saying something in this web-centric world.
With the release of Borat this Friday to movie theaters around America, HBO wants to remind you that they were the ones who gave U.S. audiences a look at the lovable Sacha Baron Cohen character that appeared regularly on Da Ali G Show. So, with that in mind, the network is going to go Borat crazy over the next two weeks.
It will begin this upcoming Saturday when HBO airs all 12 episodes of Ali G not once, but twice. The run of episodes (I get tired of saying marathon because it really isn't) will begin at noon and end at 6:00 PM. Then, the network will air eight episodes on Monday (from 9:00 pm to 1:00 am) and four on Tuesday (8:00 pm to 10:00 pm). If you miss those episodes they will be available on HBO on Demand from November until late January.
One can hope that the media blitz on this new movie as well as the word on the street makes Borat the hit of the year in the theaters. We shall see come this Friday.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.18 Photos: Elena Reevaluates Her Vampire Life
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.17 Photos: Sam and Cas Investigate the Mark of Cain
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.19 Photos: Everyone Observes a Big Surgery
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Psychic in the Soup'
- Masi Oka Returns as Hiro in 'Heroes Reborn'
- More From BuddyTV
- Killing Jesus Video: Kelsey Grammer's King Herod Meets His Maker
- New Girl Sneak Peek: Jess Makes Sweet Music With NFL Star JJ Watt
- John Noble Recalls His Time on Fringe, 24, Sleepy Hollow and More
- Heroes Reborn: Masi Oka to Return as Hiro! Plus, Premiere Date Scoop
- TVLine Items: School of Rock Casts Its Class, NBC's First Date and More
- More From TVLine
- Jake Gyllenhaal Shows Off Insanely Ripped Body in Intense 'Southpaw' Trailer
- Karrueche Tran Explains Her Relationship With Chris Brown: 'He Needs Love'
- McDonald's Launches Fashion Line Based on Big Macs (and We Want It All!)
- This Is What the 'Grey's Anatomy' Cast Looks Like 10 Years Later
- Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris Show PDA at Kenny Chesney Concert
- More From ET