This year if Billy were there, his medley would be about 20 minutes long to include all ten nominated movies! They'd have needed an oxygen tank in the wings to revive him after that.
But here's a wickedly wild idea that might have set the Oscars into to fierce wilderness of 'oh-my-God' TV. The Oscar producers were toying with the idea of having Sacha Baron Cohen host the show. Yep, believe it. Producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic were on NPR's 'Fresh Air' with Teri Gross, and they said when they contemplated shaking up the broadcast, they thought of 'Borat.'
Since the turn of the new millennium -- been a while since you heard that phrase, huh? -- cable networks have been playing the movie game. TBS, HBO and others have all brought big name movies to television at a very slow pace.
USA Network has made a 11-movie deal with Universal Studios to bring films such as The Bourne Ultimatum and Children of Men to the NBC-owned channel.
The video is after the jump. It's pretty long, so if you just want to see the modeling bit, it's at 8:00.
- Ali G Show - Complete Series
- Alias - Season 5 and Complete Series sets
- Boston Legal - Season 2
- Dr. Katz - Season 2
- Family Affair - Season 2
- Get Smart - Complete Series
- How I Met Your Mother - Season 1
- Kenny vs. Spenny - Season 2
- Match Game '73 - Best Of
- NoTORIous - Season 1
- Perry Mason - Season 1, Vol. 2
- Seinfeld - Vol. 6
- Star Trek Animated - Complete Series
In the excerpt that RS has posted online, we learn a few interesting things: for instance, we've known for some time that Cohen is Jewish, but here we learn that he's so observant that he keeps kosher and observes Shabbos (you'll never see him on Friday nights or Saturday during the day). We also find out that he's a bit reserved and would rather be plying his comedic trade behind his characters' faces than do anything on his own. It's an interesting read that makes me want to actually pick up the dead-trees version to read the entire article, which is saying something in this web-centric world.
With the release of Borat this Friday to movie theaters around America, HBO wants to remind you that they were the ones who gave U.S. audiences a look at the lovable Sacha Baron Cohen character that appeared regularly on Da Ali G Show. So, with that in mind, the network is going to go Borat crazy over the next two weeks.
It will begin this upcoming Saturday when HBO airs all 12 episodes of Ali G not once, but twice. The run of episodes (I get tired of saying marathon because it really isn't) will begin at noon and end at 6:00 PM. Then, the network will air eight episodes on Monday (from 9:00 pm to 1:00 am) and four on Tuesday (8:00 pm to 10:00 pm). If you miss those episodes they will be available on HBO on Demand from November until late January.
One can hope that the media blitz on this new movie as well as the word on the street makes Borat the hit of the year in the theaters. We shall see come this Friday.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.21 Photos: Oliver Joins the League of Assassins
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Live Blog: Eras, Immunity, Dance-Offs and the Top 7
- 'The Voice' Live Blog: Gwen, Usher and CeeLo Return to Advise the Top 8
- 'Gotham' Recap: Does Gordon Rescue Barbara?
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- More From BuddyTV
- Viola Davis to Play Harriet Tubman in HBO Film From John Adams Scribe
- The Voice: Advice, Caveats and Dream Set Lists for the Season 8 Top 8
- NCIS: Emily Wickersham Previews a Sad Loss, Gibbs''Secret Relationship'
- The Originals' Danielle Campbell Talks Davina's Plan to Kill Klaus, Revive Kol
- The Unauthorized Full House Story Greenlit at Lifetime
- More From TVLine
- Before Adam Lambert's 'Ghost Town' Premiere: Hype Williams' 14 Best Music Videos
- Bruce Jenner's Fellow Olympian on Friend's Transgender Announcement: 'Hardest Thing I Could Ever Imagine'
- Ellen Pompeo Speaks Out on Patrick Dempsey's 'Grey's Anatomy' Exit
- Kris Jenner Refutes Claim That She Refused to Comment on Bruce Jenner's '20/20' Interview
- Penelope Cruz Sizzles in a Skintight Red Jumpsuit for 'Zoolander 2'
- More From ET