American Idol Season 11
The anticipated 'Bones' spin-off, 'The Finder,' will kick off the network's new scripted lineup on Thurs., Jan. 12.
Meanwhile, J.J. Abrams' new mystery drama 'Alcatraz' -- the high-concept series that halted production in November in order to re-shoot a few scenes in the first seven episodes -- will premiere Mon., Jan. 16.
Kiefer Sutherland's new series, 'Touch,' is getting an 'American Idol' lead-in for a series premiere preview on Wed., Jan. 25, before heading to Sutherland's old '24' slot on Monday nights in March for its official premiere.
The Fox singing competition returns in January and if the preview below is any indication, it will be filled with our favorite 'Idol' standbys: frustrated contestants, Steven Tyler's antics, tears and declarations that these 20somethings will be "stars."
Tyler will be joined at the judges table by both Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez, despite lengthy contract talks for the latter. Ryan Seacrest returns as host.
Check out the video after the jump. One of those people could be the crowned the next 'American Idol' ...
After all the upheaval surrounding Season 10 after the departure of Simon Cowell and the most of the judging panel, Lythgoe says he's done changing the show around. He told the AP "I think we made a lot of tweaks last year. I'm not sure that we want to make too many more tweaks this year."
Lythgoe acknowledged that the biggest change he made to the show in Season 10, which was to stop making contestants sing in styles other than their own, had been a game-changer. It produced the first country winner since 2005, and made it possible for contestants like Casey Abrams to go further in the competition than they might have done otherwise.
"I am delighted to say that all three judges, along with the brilliant host of 'American Idol,' [are] back for the next season," Lythgoe said in an interview on 'On Air with Ryan Seacrest.'
Lopez's 'Idol' future was up in the air for much of the summer. In an interview with BBC, Lopez said she was unsure whether or not she would return to the Fox reality competition series.
Jennifer Lopez and Fox have reportedly reached a new deal to keep the singer/actress with 'American Idol' for another year. The deal will net a Lopez a sum of just over $20 million, according to The Wrap.
Lopez joined the show in Season 10 as part of the new judging panel alongside Steven Tyler and 'Idol' veteran Randy Jackson. Her contract was for only one season and Lopez made statements to the press about her indecision to stick with the Fox reality series.
"I don't know," Lopez told BBC Radio about returning to the hit show. "I haven't been forced to make a decision and I'm glad about that because honestly I'm very on the fence about it."
According to the Hollywood Reporter, her Season 10 deal was for $12 million. In 2006, Simon Cowell signed a contract that gave him $33 million per season for 'American Idol.'
According to 'The Wall Street Journal,' Lopez is close to signing a deal that will bring her back to the 'American Idol' judging panel for at least one more season.
When Lopez's original one-year contract -- estimated at $12 million -- expired back in May she said she was "on the fence" about committing to the series for another season, and she's been pitching her own TV talent show to networks.
'Idol' execs, in return, then let it be known that they were lining up possible replacements should they be unable to lure her back.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal' Season 3 Episode Photos
- [Video] 'The Originals' Sneak Peek: Has Klaus Become His Father?
- 'The Following': 15 Shocking Moments from 'The Messenger'
- 5 Reasons USA's 'Chrisley Knows Best' Is Must-See TV
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 18 Official Photos: Celebrities with Their Partners
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Salem': Iddo Goldberg would cast a spell for fast Amazon delivery (also world peace)
- 'Teen Mom 2' exclusive clip: Is Nathan 'too good to be true' for Jenelle?
- Terry Crews: 'I'm game' for Marvel's 'Luke Cage' Netflix series
- 'The Following' Season 2, episode 8: Why was the big twist revealed before 'The Messenger' aired?
- 'Doctor Who': Is a major villain returning in Season 8?
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch Tuesday: S.H.I.E.L.D. Meets Thor, Raylan Vs. Eric Roberts, Sitcom Weddings & More
- The Bachelor Finale: Who 'Won'? Why Was Juan Pablo Glum? And Who's the New Bachelorette?
- Teen Wolf Recap: 'Chaos Has Come Again'
- Do You Believe In NBC's Supernatural Drama?
- The Voice Recap: Maybe Just One More Try?
- More From TVLine