Actually, it probably failed because of a Jeff Zucker curse. But still, what of poor Andy? He seems to have been operating under a perpetual cloud ever since he left Conan's side the first time, when he quit his job as sidekick on 'Late Night With Conan O'Brien' in 2000 for a Hollywood career. He's worked consistently since then, but his list of credits over the last decade consists largely of box office flops and short-lived TV series. To which we can now add 'The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien.'
There are plenty of great TV collections being released all the time now, bringing back classic TV, shows that had short runs, and current favorites. You know about most of the big shows, so here's a mix of more popular and some maybe less-heralded collections.
House, M.D.: Season Five: This was a breakout season for the show, where the secondary characters really came to life and House broke down and finally had to face his addictions and personal failings. Season five may wind up being a pinnacle for the series as a whole.
Like Danny reported back in May, Andy Barker, P.I. is finally coming to DVD. Shout! Factory will release the entire series on Nov. 17. The two-disc set will include all six episodes, some with commentary by Richter and producer Conan O'Brien, plus a retrospective feature and a doc about the show's amazing writers, including Jonathan Groff (How I Met Your Mother), Josh Bycel (Psych), and Jane Espenson (Buffy, BSG). Click through for a better look at the DVD cover art.
Get ready to welcome one that got less sunlight than your goth cousin gets in a year.
The Late Night Insider blog, the underground blog of the former Late Night with Conan O'Brien, reported that O'Brien and former and returning sidekick Andy Richter are recording commentary tracks for a new Andy Barker P.I. DVD.
Returning reality shows include America's Got Talent, which has a new host ... Jerry Springer. Expect the throwing of chairs and DNA tests to be "talents" this season, which starts May 29. The Biggest Loser, which returns for a fourth season late in the summer with new host Allison Sweeney (Days Of Our Lives). It still amazes me that a show about fat people losing weight can be a hit and last for four seasons. Before The Biggest Loser returns, we'll get another season of Last Comic Standing, which will also have a new host, Bill Bellamy. It returns on June 13. And then we have the new show Age of Love, a "new twist on the reality dating show format" (yeah, right). It will be hosted by Mark Consuelos.
This just shows us how accurate Studio 60 was, with that whole plot involving the new VP of alternative programming at NBS pitching a show titled All You Need Is Love. NBC says that Age of Love will be "bringing romance back to television." Oh, I can hardly wait.
Julia mentioned previously that Amy Sedaris would be appearing in a guest role on Andy Barker, P.I. Well, Julia wasn't lying, but you won't see the episode on TV. Instead, click on over to NBC's site to see "The Lady Varnishes," in which Sedaris plays a sex-crazed older woman who spent some time in the slammer. Funny, that sounds an awful lot like her Jerri Blank character from Strangers with Candy. The two characters do share similar traits, but who the heck cares, I'd give my left leg to see Sedaris in anything (and that statement will mean more to you after you've watched the episode).
- At 8, CBS has a new Survivor, followed by new episodes of CSI and Shark.
- FOX has a new Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? at 8.
- TBS has one of the great Friends episodes at 8, "The One With All The Thanksgivings."
- At 8:30, Showtime has the documentary Fired! (I read the book, it's quite good.)
- At 9:30, NBC has a new Andy Barker, P.I.
- At 10, ABC has a new October Road.
- Food Network has a new Throwdown with Bobby Flay at 10, then a new Ace of Cakes.
- At 10:30, Comedy Central has a new Showbiz Show with David Spade.
Check your local TV listings for more.
The half-hour comedy series is a mid-season pick-up for NBC. Richter stars as a CPA-turned private eye when he is mistaken for the detective who used to occupy his workspace. I only watched the pilot, but the jokes are very Conan O'Brien-- which is not surprising since he created, produced and wrote the show. Tony Hale (Arrested Development) plays a movie snob who owns a video store, but is bored so he joins Andy to solve mysteries. I laughed out loud a few times- mostly at Hale's comments about Sandra Bullock and Meet the Fockers.
In case you're old school and like to watch your television the way they did when you were a kid, Andy Barker, P.I. premieres on Thursday, March 15th on NBC at 9:30 pm.
In addition to all that, Medium and Identity will also begin streaming full episodes in March. That brings NBC's total of full episode streaming series to 13 when added to The Apprentice, Heroes, 30 Rock, Las Vegas, Friday Night Lights, Passions, Studio 60, and My Name Is Earl. The network also plans to make the full seasons of Heroes and Friday Night Lights available, starting with the pilots, beginning in the spring.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf': 15 Times Lydia Martin Proved She Is Better Than You
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'Teen Wolf': 17 Unfortunate Moments from 'Strange Frequencies'
- 'Arrow' Season 4 Interview: John Barrowman on Malcolm's New Take on the League of Assassins
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Executes a Dreadful Plan While Kira Tries to Save Herself
- More From BuddyTV
- American Horror Story: Darren Criss Eyeing Spooky Hotel Residency
- Revenge Spinoff Not Impossible, Says ABC Boss: 'It's a Wonderful Brand'
- Kelly Osbourne Sorry for Offensive Latino Comments on The View
- Quantico Boss Promises Terrorist Reveal By End of Season 1
- TVLine Items: Sneaky Pete Trailer, Jimmy Kimmel in NYC and More
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Teen Mom 2' Star Jenelle Evans Calls Off Engagement to Nathan Griffith
- Zayn Malik Ends Engagement With Perrie Edwards
- Here's the Epic Jon Stewart Takedown of Fox News You've Been Waiting 15 Years For
- Kelly Osbourne Apologizes After Remarks About Latinos: 'I Clean My Own F**king Toilets'
- Khloe Kardashian Goes Braless, Flaunts Her 'Revenge Body'
- More From ET