Actually, it probably failed because of a Jeff Zucker curse. But still, what of poor Andy? He seems to have been operating under a perpetual cloud ever since he left Conan's side the first time, when he quit his job as sidekick on 'Late Night With Conan O'Brien' in 2000 for a Hollywood career. He's worked consistently since then, but his list of credits over the last decade consists largely of box office flops and short-lived TV series. To which we can now add 'The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien.'
All's well that ends well, though, and Richter is happier than ever, paired again with Conan O'Brien on The Tonight Show, getting to do what he calls a "silly little comedy show" without dealing with the backwards world of the sitcom. I spoke with Richter earlier this week about Barker and being back with Conan.
Do you think Andy Barker, P.I. got a fair shake when it was first out?
Oh, certainly not. Absolutely not. It was sort of just, you know, shoved on TV and meant to go away.
Like Danny reported back in May, Andy Barker, P.I. is finally coming to DVD. Shout! Factory will release the entire series on Nov. 17. The two-disc set will include all six episodes, some with commentary by Richter and producer Conan O'Brien, plus a retrospective feature and a doc about the show's amazing writers, including Jonathan Groff (How I Met Your Mother), Josh Bycel (Psych), and Jane Espenson (Buffy, BSG). Click through for a better look at the DVD cover art.
Get ready to welcome one that got less sunlight than your goth cousin gets in a year.
The Late Night Insider blog, the underground blog of the former Late Night with Conan O'Brien, reported that O'Brien and former and returning sidekick Andy Richter are recording commentary tracks for a new Andy Barker P.I. DVD.
Now, this doesn't mean that we'll see Andy on the couch next to Conan, as he was in Late Night's early years. He's the announcer; think of what John Melendez does for Leno and add the fact that, you know, Andy actually has comedic talent. Richter will announce the show and participate in both live and pre-taped comedy bits.
For fans of Andy Richter the actor, though, this isn't good news. After starring in two very funny failed sitcoms, Andy Richter Controls the Universe and Andy Barker, P.I., it seems like his returning to the daily Conan fold would preclude him from starring in another one anytime soon. But that also means he won't star in another Quintuplets, either, so maybe this is a good idea.
Hola, mi muchachos and muchachoettes! It is I, Schedule Boy, back from wherever the hell I was. I'm here this time to present a comprehensive list of upcoming season and series premieres and finales for you, my adoptive TV Squad family.
What a crazy season its been! Shows that had so much potential (The Nine, Studio 60) struggled to stay on the air, while others (Ugly Betty, Friday Night Lights, Jericho, 30 Rock) surprised us with their growing fan bases and popularity. Then there were shows like ER that made a sudden comeback and ones like Gilmore Girls and Scrubs that didn't seem to find their way for the first half of the season. Well, at least we could be confident that hits like Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, 24 and Lost would carry us through the season. Then again, maybe not. Like I said, crazy season.
So, sit back, relax, and enjoy this fine presentation, presented in color with limited commercial interruption. You can find the list of premieres and finales (as well shows returning from hiatus) after the jump. Remember, dates are subject to change, so we'll be updating as time moves forward.
Amy Farrington played his wife in the pilot of his NBC mid-season replacement show, Andy Barker, P.I. But Farrington has now left the show and her role will be played by Clea Lewis. You might remember the small, squeaky-voiced Lewis as one of bookstore workers on Ellen.
I hope this show is good. I liked Andy Richter Controls The Universe, though I didn't think it was as brilliant as everyone else seemed to, but it was certainly good and FOX should have stuck with it. I can understand why Quintuplets was cancelled.
Now, where is NBC going to put this show? Thursday nights some place?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.12 Photos: The Merge and Steroline at the Hospital
- 'Supernatural' Recap: Charlie's Battle of Good and Evil
- 'MasterChef Junior' Recap: Does an Advantage Turn into a Disadvantage in the Tag Team Challenge?
- Best 'Originals' Quotes from 'Brotherhood of the Damned'
- 'Sleepy Hollow': 18 Moments of Hawley's Loyalties and Ichabbie's Fractured Bond from 'Kali Yuga'
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: Freezer Burn
- Criminal Minds Spinoff Pilot Adds Walking Dead's Tyler James Williams
- Post Mortem: Flash Boss on Wells' Agenda, Joe's Secret, Barry's New Girl
- HTGAWM EP Teases 'Murder Night' Fallout, Connor's 'Changed' Sex Life and Michaela's Wedding Woes
- Pilot News: CBS Orders Code Black Drama, Based on ER Documentary
- More From TVLine
- Chris Hemsworth's Twins Will Melt Your Heart
- Donald Trump on Chances of 2016 Presidential Run: Decision in 'Very Near Future'
- Sia Releases Ballad From 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Soundtrack
- 'Grey's Anatomy's' Sarah Drew Opens Up About Daughter's Premature Birth
- The All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Gets a Cast! Find Out Who Will Join Melissa McCarthy
- More From ET