April 28, 2015
by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice' Season 8: Top 8 Performance Rankings
- 'Castle' Recap: Castle and Alexis Team Up to Catch a Killer
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.21 Photos: Oliver Joins the League of Assassins
- 'The Originals' Recap: Dahlia Offers Klaus a Deal
- 'The Voice' Recap: Gwen, Usher and Cee Lo Return to Advise the Top 8
- More From BuddyTV
- Secret Celebrity Marriages Gallery
- Nicki Minaj Performed at a Bar Mitzvah for the Luckiest 13-Year-Old Boy in the World
- 'DWTS' Season 20: Week 7 Celebrates Music Through the Ages Before a Shocking Elimination
- Did 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Pressure Lead to Kim Richards' Breakdown?
- Best Moments from the Daytime Emmys
- More From ET