July 29, 2015
by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'MasterChef' Interview: Prowling the Kitchen with Stephen Lee
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Photos: Kaitlyn Says Yes!
- 'Dance Moms' Recap: Can the ALDC Maintain the Top Spot in the Competition?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Photos: Who Will the Mystery Woman Be?
- 15 Times Taylor Swift Lyrics Perfectly Described 'Pretty Little Liars'
- More From BuddyTV
- Sarah Michelle Gellar's Daughter Has Her 'Buffy' Skills! See Charlotte's 'Bully Proof' Moves!
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe and Fiance Shawn Booth Just Can't Stop With the Intense PDA
- Channing Tatum Reportedly Exiting His 'X-Men' Spin-off Movie, 'Gambit'
- Tina Fey's 'Flawless' Beyonce Lip Sync Will Complete Your Life Forever
- Angelina Jolie Pitt Hopes Filming in Cambodia Will Help Maddox 'Understand Who He is'
- More From ET