October 5, 2015
by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Leftovers' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Has Another Departure Happened?
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 1 Finale Recap: The Group Breaks into the Army Compound
- 'Once Upon a Time' Recap: Can Regina Be the Savior?
- 'Arrow' Episode 4.2 Photos: The Team Protects a Mayoral Candidate
- 'The Flash' Episode 2.2 Photos: Meet Jay Garrick
- More From BuddyTV
- Miley Cyrus Parties All Night After 'SNL' Premiere
- Lady Gaga Makes Red Hot Rare Appearance With Fiancé Taylor Kinney at 'American Horror Story' Premiere
- Britney Spears Crashes Kate Hudson's Game Night
- Caitlyn Jenner Claims Kim Kardashian Forces Her to Wear Makeup Every Day
- Khloe Kardashian Shares Adorable Photo of North West & Penelope Disick
- More From ET