by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Downton Abbey' Season 4 Q&A panel live stream
- 'Game of Thrones': King Joffrey's 10 most evil moments
- 'New Girl': A Super Bowl episode with Prince?
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 3b trailer: Dark times for Stiles, Scott and Allison
- WWE's The Miz on 'Christmas Bounty', 'Real World' and 'Tribute to the Troops'
- More From Zap2it
- Kurt Sutter to Follow Up Sons of Anarchy With Period Drama Pilot for FX
- Grimm's David Giuntoli Talks Sewers, Stunt Mishaps and Why Santa Had It Coming
- Video: Dulé Hill On Psych's Musical Episode, [Spoiler]'s Looming Death and the Series Finale
- TVLine Items: Goldbergs Casting Scoop, Survivor Renewed, Gail O'Grady Gets Revenge and More
- Community Trailer 'Rings' in Season 5 With Britta Worship, Donald Glover In-Jokes, Walton Goggins
- More From TVLine