September 1, 2015
by Maureen Ryan, posted Sep 11th 2011 10:25PM
Andy Whitfield, who played the title role in the first season of Starz's 'Spartacus,' passed away Sunday. The actor was 39.
"No words to express the depth of such a loss," 'Spartacus' creator Steven DeKnight said Sunday evening on Twitter. "You will be deeply missed, my brother."
According to a statement released to the AP by Whitfield's family, he died at home," on a sunny Sydney morning, in the "arms of his loving wife." His wife Vashti called him a "beautiful young warrior."
"He passed peacefully surrounded by love," said the statement from Vashti Whitfield. "Thank you to all his fans whose love and support have help carry him to this point. He will be remembered as the inspiring, courageous and gentle man, father and husband he was."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Mindy Project Season 4 Photos: Meet the Lahiris (and Mindy's New Man)
- CBS, Gloria Allred Team for Legal Drama Inspired by Firebrand Attorney
- Girl Meets World Reels in Shark Tank's Mark Cuban for Season 2 Guest Spot
- Supergirl Taps Salem Actor as DC Hero Red Tornado — But There's a Twist
- Hawaii Five-0 Casts Sarah Carter as Steve's GF — What About Catherine?
- More From TVLine
- Rachel Platten Sings 'Fight Song' With Inspiring 7-Year-Old Cancer Patient
- EXCLUSIVE: Behind-the-Scenes With the 'Code Black' Stars in Medical Boot Camp!
- Kanye West's VMA Speech Re-cut as a Stand-up Comedy Set Works Astonishingly Well
- Kylie Jenner Launches Anti-Bullying Campaign on Instagram, But Can't Stop With the Racy Selfies
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Shares Sweet Throwback Pic to Celebrate 13th Wedding Anniversary
- More From ET