Murphy responded to Hathaway's pleas to make TV magic happen by revealing to the world he and Hathaway will meet to discuss her ideas. Looks like Hathaway's very public "Call me, Ryan!" worked.
"I'm meeting with Anne in the next couple weeks," Murphy told MTV News on the Emmys red carpet. "We're not going to do guest stars at all the first half of the season, but I would love to work with her, and she supposedly has the whole thing mapped out. I'm curious as to what she wants to do. I love her. I think she's great."
According to Deadline, producer Brett Ratner has just one name on his wish list this year -- Murphy's -- and is expected to present his top host choices to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in a meeting on Tuesday.
Hathaway and Franco were universally panned for their performances as Oscar co-hosts last year -- her for being too peppy, him for being too blase -- so choosing a well-known, experienced comedian for the job could please the critics.
"I'm planning on it," Hathaway said about her guest role as Kurt's aunt on 'Glee.' "I don't know if they're planning on it."
All this started after the Golden Globes last winter. Hathaway, who is currently filming 'The Dark Knight Rises,' said an innocent meeting between her and Ryan Murphy turned into a media storm. On her way to the bathroom, she ran into Murphy. Hathaway had already talked about her desire to be on 'Glee' in November 2010, so when she met Murphy he invited her on the series.
"Ryan Murphy goes, 'Anne Hathaway! Come on 'Glee.' And I said, 'Yes!' and he said 'Fab, I'll call you,'" Hathaway said.
After the Globes, Hathaway said Murphy was telling reporters it was a done deal.
Her nerd choice, apparently, is a love of the game Scrabble, which lead to what may be the longest interview discussion about Scrabble in the history of talk shows (at least with someone who isn't some kind of world Scrabble champion).
Jon Stewart and Hathaway talked about strategies playing on the computer, and some wisdom that Stewart got from his seven-year old son. The PC game offers you four chances to use a "Best Word" feature when you're playing the computer.
Lauer asked how her Catwoman would be different from those past. "That's getting a little too specific," she said. "All I can say is Chris Nolan has directed 'Batman' movies, and my version of Selena Kyle fits into Chris Nolan's Gotham City."
She was, of course, talking about her Catwoman costume for 'The Dark Knights Rises.' While fans have only seen it in glimpses, Hathaway has spent far more time with it, and it's not necessarily time always enjoyed.
When asked how she gets into it, Hathaway admitted it takes motivation and literally three people to get her into it.
"That sounds like a nightmare," Chelsea Handler said. She went on to marvel at the discipline that it must take for Hathaway to commit to such a costume for a six month movie shoot. "So are you not doing any drinking or anything like that," she surmised.
In addition to voicing characters, they both sang in the film. "'Rio' was not the first time that Anne Hathaway was singing," noted Lopez. And he wasn't referring to the Oscars. Before showing the clip, he added, "This will bump up your street cred."
Unbeknownst to Hathaway, the show's producers had dug up footage of a teenage Anne singing, dancing and even rapping at Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, N.J.
Horrified, Hathaway screamed, "Oh, no!!" and then began to laugh. "Thank you, Paper Mill Playhouse," she said sarcastically.
Goldberg, who has herself hosted the Oscars four times, specifically pointed to Melissa Leo's F-bomb during her acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actress, and said that such a gaffe requires strong hosts to keep the show moving forward.
Yet Sunday's telecast on ABC was about as painless as these things get, relatively speaking. James Franco and Anne Hathaway didn't necessarily make a brilliant splash as co-hosts -- Hathaway seemed determined to overcome Franco's sodden, wooden presence through sheer perkiness -- but they acquitted themselves respectably.
All in all, the telecast, which saw crowd-pleasing yet thoughtful fare like 'The King's Speech,' 'The Social Network' and 'Inception' winning big, had a classy, low-key vibe. The tributes to film history were gracefully done, there were a few entertaining speeches and it was fun to watch the parade of gowns (including Hathaway's glam costume changes).
Hathaway sang her number in a very nicely tailored tuxedo, so Franco decided to continue the gender bending by coming out in a rather ill-fitting pink dress.
"Oh wow!" Hathaway said when Franco came out. Her reaction was so genuine we suspect this may have been a surprise for her as well. Or maybe ... acting!
"You got to wear a tuxedo, so I wore this," Franco explained. "The weird part is I just got a text message from Charlie Sheen."
With this year's hosts -- Anne Hathaway and James Franco -- coming from the world of movies themselves, there was a lot of anticipation as to how they might interpret this tradition. They did so by sticking to what they know best. They brought us into the movies.
More specifically, they decided to use the technology of 'Inception' to step into the dreams of Alec Baldwin to learn how to be the best hosts they can be.
Franco says he was excited to co-host with Hathaway because he was hoping to strike up a romantic relationship. But, alas, he realized she already has a boyfriend. "One of the reasons I was excited about Anne hosting is I, you know, thought maybe I had a shot. And then I realized there's a boyfriend around. So, those dreams have been shot," he said.
"I think Anne Hathaway hosting the Academy Awards is going to be brutal," O'Reilly opined. "She's going to be like Joan Rivers out there. I can't imagine."
"She created her own character, and we ran into her, and I said 'Really?' and she said 'Yes!' so we're going to do that," Murphy told E! Online. "We love her."
Executive producer Brad Falchuck added, "[With] someone like her, it's sort of hard to say no!"
In other casting news ...
• Lily's sister will still drop by 'Gossip Girl,' but she'll be played by a different actress. Illeana Douglas, who had previously been cast in the part, had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. The character is in the midst of being recast. [TVLine]
• 'The Talk' has been on the air for less than five months, but it's already losing a cast member. Marissa Jaret Winokur announced she was leaving the CBS daytime show to work on her own projects, including developing a cable show and launching a clothing line. [People]
• The main character on NBC's 'The Chase' is getting a father. He'll be played by William Frost, who also played the ill-fated father of a lead on CBS's 'Hawaii Five-0' earlier this season. [TV Guide]
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You can tell Jay Pharoah has great affection for the greats he mimics, like Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy. On the other hand, this year's rash of Jay Leno impressions were polished with bile.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 8 Girls Performance Rankings
- [Video] 'Glee': Sue Performs 'The Trolley Song' with Carol Burnett
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from 'The Lawn Chair'
- 'The Amazing Race' Leg 3 Prediction: Which Team Will Go Home?
- [Video] 'Real Housewives of Orange County' Star Tamra Judge Leaks 'Sex Tape' with Husband
- More From BuddyTV
- Jada Pinkett Smith Leaving Gotham
- Video: NCIS Alum Cote de Pablo Leads a Tour of the Dovekeepers Set
- NBC Thursday Shake-Up: Allegiance Cancelled, The Slap on the Move
- Are You Missing Vintage Scandal? Should Good Wife Wrap Campaign? Is Drunk Cookie Delicious? And More Qs!
- Ratings: Scandal, Elementary and Blacklist Slip; Grey's, Odd Couple and Bang Rise; American Crime Tops Hour
- More From TVLine
- 4-Year-Old Girl Has the Perfect Reaction When a Boy in Class Telling Her She's Ugly
- Kelly Clarkson Denies Calling Miley Cyrus a 'Pitchy Stripper,' Admits to Dating Justin Guarini
- Zack Morris Is Doing CrossFit Naked!
- Kristin Cavallari Thinks She's Hotter Than Olivia Munn
- 'American Idol' Contestant Jax Wore #TheDress!
- More From ET