(S01E01) In the first five minutes of this show, viewers are treated to a visual definition of the phrase "fish out of water."
I generally don't like any comedy that starts out with the the main character losing everything and starting her life all over again. In a drama, it kind of works that the hero has to go from town to town searching for something she lost. In a comedy, it just means that we'll be spending the next half hour watching the hero say things like, "What did I get myself into?"
The drama begins with twentysomething Megan Smith (played by Joanna Garcia) unexpectedly getting hired by Laurel Limoges to tutor the woman's teen granddaughters. Laurel is a widow whose fortune comes from a successful cosmetics empire.
Shannon Lucio (The O.C.)has bounced back after getting axed from the perpetually transitioning Moonlight to land in Oaks over at Fox. It's a pretty good gig as the show will be run Shawn Ryan of The Shield, and the network has already given a series commitment. Oaks tells the story of three different families, in three different decades, all living in the same house. Not enough for you? Well, what if the house is haunted by a spirit that all of the families have to deal with? Matt Lanter (Heroes) and Bahar Soomekh (Day Break) have also been added to the cast.
Over at TNT, they know drama, and apparently are set to get to know Martin Mull. They've already picked up William H. Macy's Family Man, and now Mull has been added to the cast. He'll play the intellectual older brother of Macy's character, who used to run hotels, but now can't hold down a job.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Orange Is the New Black Season 2 Trailer: Feisty Piper Growls 'Don't Make Me Rip Your Throat Out'
- Orphan Black Preview: Season 2 Brings 'Character Shocks' and … a Traitorous Felix?
- What to Watch Thursday: Scandal and 3 Other Finales, Vikings Set Sail, Parks and Rec and More
- Idol Exclusive: Top 6 Week Theme Revealed!
- American Idol Top 7 Performance Recap: Filler Queen [Updated]
- More From TVLine
- Neil Patrick Harris: I Got 'Jared Leto Manorexic' for My New Role
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Is Getting a Sequel!
- Zooey Gives Us an Up-Close Look at Her New Tommy Hilfiger Line
- John C. Reilly Takes You Behind The Scenes Of Disney's 'Bears'
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Abusing Teen Boy
- More From ET