Here's a look back at ten stars that have done double-duty (and sometimes more) in TV's most demanding genre.
Anne Heche, 'Another World'
Played: Marley Love. The sheltered sister of Donna and Peter Love, Marley had traditional teen woes before discovering her family tree had a case of root rot -- Marley was, in reality, Donna's daughter.
Check out the rest after the jump.
It went pretty much downhill from there, aided and abetted by the show's stars, Thomas Jane and Jane Adams.
Jane, on his audition process: "I had to go into the other room to disrobe, so I wouldn't hit anyone in the eye. It's for safety."
Adams told a critic that it was interesting he was making so many penis puns "While you're holding that mike."
Co-creator Colette Burson got into the act, calling the member of Jane's character of Ray Drecker as "The Platonic Penis. It's the ideal penis on a certain level."
Especially when your show is only "eh" to begin with. The biggest flaw in the premiere of Hung was how it ended. You have to consider that after only one episode to get to know your premise and characters, you're going to be asking people to wait two weeks and then come back for more. That means you have to grab onto them with something that makes them need to come back. Hung just kind of withered at the end.
Rob Owen of TV Q&A at the Post Gazette discovered that ABC had posted the "we're not canceled" cliffhanger ending online by mistake earlier this week. One of his readers asked, "Much to my surprise the episode on the Internet had a different ending than what was shown on TV. It ended with Jack's ex-girlfriend, Lynn, leaving their baby girl on the doorstep of Marin's house and driving off."
Owen confirmed that ABC had indeed posted the wrong ending online for a short time. He also expects that Warner Bros. will save both endings for a DVD release.
- I guess Bill and Geraldo have made up.
- Best Week Ever lists the Top 15 Sexiest Nerd Boys, then readers weigh in on the Sexiest Nerd Boys they forgot. And hopefully that's the last time I have to type the phrase "Sexist Nerd Boys."
- Aaron Barnhart gives a rundown of what we learned at last week's network upfronts.
- Radar has a gallery of stars giving the finger, including David Schwimmer, Paris and Nicky Hilton, and Jeremy Piven.
- Anne Heche's divorce is starting to get nasty.
- PETA dumps something on Gordon Ramsay's doorstep (and I do mean "dumps").
Sorry to be the bearer of bad somewhat bad news Elizabeth (and all other Men In Trees fans who have emailed us about the show) but the series will not return until next Fall.
I think the storyline I liked the most this week was Patrick and Annie's. Derek Richardson (Patrick) does a great job playing stressed out. He doesn't breathe and makes me hold my breath as he's freaking out! Anyway, I liked this because Patrick and Annie became independent together, if that makes any sense. they're starting to figure out how to function as a married couple. I imagine this season will end with a wedding, a baby, and a Marin/Jack reunion cliffhanger.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Is Kevin Federline insulting restaurant workers with his portrayal of a fast food employee in an upcoming Superbowl commercial or are we all getting a little too eager to be offended? I think, as usual, he's mostly just offending himself.
- Tyra Banks is extremely hurt that a website published swimsuit pictures of her under the headline "Tyra banks is Fat."
- Co-star couples: Anne Heche left her husband for Men in Trees co-star James Tupper. Why does this keep happening?
Anne Heche sure loves 'em and leaves 'em. ET is reporting the Men in Trees star has left husband Coley Laffoon (with whom she has a son) for co-star James Tupper. Heche and Tupper's characters are romantically involved on the show.
But here's the problem with co-stars hooking up: they often eventually break up. And when they do, it sure causes havoc with TV storylines.
(S01E13) Well, I totally identified with Marin's constant procrastination so she didn't have to face writing her book. As a person who makes her living as a writer, I always found every excuse in the world to avoid writing: laundry, yardwork, etc. Anyway, the town rummage sale served as a metaphor for what was happening with a bunch of the couples in this episode. They were trying to figure out how much old stuff they could throw out before they could start anew.
As far as Orlando's television experience, he's all over the map. He has the distinction of being an original cast member of MAD TV, was the 7UP spokesman, played a lead role in the short-lived show Evidence, and hosted the short-lived The Orlando Jones Show on FX in 2003. Bottom line: the guy is hilarious and will make a terrific addition to the cast. Look for him in Elmo early next year.
[Via TV Tattle]
Marin, Jack and Lynn: Yep, Lynn's pregnant. ABC kind-of gave it away in last week's promos (*shakes fist at the sky*). Luckily, it's not Jack's baby. But it still complicates things. Jack obviously feels some sort of responsibility for Lynn's predicament, even though he really doesn't have to. Plus, how hot was that kiss between him and Marin? Steaming hot.
Here's why I like Men in Trees: it makes me happy. But, I wouldn't call it cheesy. It's about Marin Frist, a relationship coach whose own relationship falls to pieces as she's on a book tour in Alaska. She ends up staying in the small town of Elmo, where she's studying men and also learning more about herself. Anne Heche is surprisingly wonderful in the role of Marin, a character who is not flawless but learns from her mistakes. She's not a fumbling, ditzy blonde. And I adore the supporting characters, who are all very complex and not at all stereotypical of a small town.
(S01E07) The writers switched things up a bit this week and I was happy for it. Instead of tension between Ben and Teresa, it was between Sara and Teresa. And, Marin had her sister to contend with, rather than anything Alaska-related. Even Patrick and Annie had a different storyline this week, in which Annie took a back seat.
Does anybody believe that Buzz is Patrick's father? How is that even possible? How many people did Patrick's mother sleep with? He's a 26-year old man who believes his father is still alive, even though the man obviously died in a plane crash in the Alaska bush before Patrick was born. I pretty much guessed what Patrick's mother was hiding from him, which she said could make things better or worse. I'm almost positive that he's still pissed off at his mother for lying to him about who his father is, so that's a storyline that could stretch for a few episodes and make for some bonding between Annie and his mom (although, I like how the mom treats Annie poorly- it makes for some good comedy).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Kicks Off with Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- UnREAL Finale Preview: Rachel's Choice, Quinn's War, Broken-Hearted Jeremy and Season 2 Scenarios
- Stephen Colbert's Late Show Promos Wield Magic, Mitt and a 'Dreamboat'
- The 100 Season 3 Video: Cast Talks Jaha's Revenge, Lexa's Return & More
- More From TVLine
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire's Kerry Bishé on Donna's Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn't a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Probably Going to Be Pissed Off if There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- More from Vulture
- 'I Am Cait' Gets Emotional and Educational During a Road Trip With Some New Friends
- Cara Delevingne Shows Off Pink Hair at Girlfriend's Concert in Montreal
- Eliza Dushku Got Kicked Out of Hotel Room to Make Way for One Direction
- Jericho the Lion Is Alive Despite Reports
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys a Girls Night Out with Shania Twain: 'Music is Medicine'
- More From ET