For some reason, the writers have this idea that Alan as the object of affection to older women is funny. No, not really. It didn't work when Carol Kane guested as the mother of a girl Alan was dating and it didn't work tonight with Annie Potts as Judith's mother, Lenore.
ABC decided to dump Alyssa Milano's show, Single With Parents, claiming that there were creative differences between the show's creator, Kristin Newman (How I Met Your Mother), and the rest of the producers. Ouch. Can't we all just get along?
Actually, if there are problems at this stage of the game -- after just producing a pilot -- it might be better for the network to pass on this and consider working with Alyssa on something else down the road. We've seen far too many shows make it to air that should have never gotten the greenlight, so maybe in these tough economic times, caution is wise these days.
I am about to write something that I normally don't do when it comes to the way networks program their primetime schedules. It's something that will shake your foundations, rock the world, turn Republicans into Democrats (and vice-versa) and make Amy Winehouse finally get sober. Ready? ABC is being smart with its programming schedule.
There, it's done. Now to sit back and wait for the accolades.
Seriously, after years of relying on only a handful of shows to carry the schedule throughout the year, ABC has been filling out their schedules with a number of backup shows to fill those gaps that always appear when a fall premiere tanks. Granted, some of these mid-season replacements also tank, but at least the network is letting them try. Because of that we have been lucky to enjoy shows like Samantha Who? and Eli Stone. This time around, ABC has five new series - all scripted - that will be premiering during the 2008-09 season. You'll find a brief explanation of each after the jump.
(S02E11) Many weeks ago (man, it's been a while since we've had a new episode) I shared my dream of a Dixie Carter-Vanessa Williams showdown. This week, Amanda visited a psychic played by another Designing Women cast member, the wonderful Annie Potts. So close! It's great to have Ugly Betty back, at least for now. The sad truth--that there are only two episodes left--is beginning to sink in. Who's panicking?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'True Blood' Beginnings: Everything You Need to Know About Jessica Hamby
- 'The Voice' Season 4: Top 10 Performance Rankings
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 16 Finale Predictions: Who is Going to Win?
- 'Revolution': 23 Shocking Moments from 'Clue'
- 14 TV Characters Who Would Make Good Drinking Buddies
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Bachelor's Funniest Moments': Foot fetish, orange-rind mouth and more
- 'Downton Abbey' auction lets you read poetry to Mr. Bates - um, what?
- TV ratings: Final 'Dancing With the Stars' performances rise while 'The Voice' dips Monday
- 'Grimm' Season 2 finale preview: 5 things to expect in 'Goodnight, Sweet Grimm'
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 3 finale: McGarrett finds himself in a tight spot
- More From Zap2it
- Ratings: Voice Dips, DWTS Rises, Five-0 Finale Tops Hour, Goodwin Games No Winner
- Nashville Finale First Look: The Truth Comes Out – Are Rayna and Deacon Finished?
- Exclusive Preview: Marvel's Avengers Assemble on Disney XD — Plus: The Super Premiere Plan
- What to Watch Tuesday: Grimm's Dead End, DWTS' Last Dance, Bachelor Bloopers and More
- The Voice Performance Recap: Imperfect 10?
- More From TVLine