Soap opera weddings are often the culmination of years of dealing with heartache and conquering adversity. But just because the couple exchanges "I do's" doesn't mean it's happily ever after -- as Sonny and Brenda's upcoming wedding on 'General Hospital' is proving.
Many, but not all couples on soaps get hitched for the right reasons. Sometimes the bride or groom is blackmailing the other or someone just wants to land a rich spouse!
One thing's for sure -- soap weddings are always memorable. Here's a look back at 20 soap wedding ceremonies (or post-ceremony moments) that fans remember fondly. Is your favorite not on the list? Let us know!
And there seems to be no weakening on the part of CBS's powerhouse program. Currently averaging 3.6/12 in households, 5.17 million viewers and is also ranked first among daytime programs in women 25-54 (2.3/14) and women 18-49 (1.7/11) season-to-date.
That kind of sustained success is to be rewarded, which is what CBS did when it renewed 'Y&R' through the 2013-2014 season back in November.
Here's a look back at ten stars that have done double-duty (and sometimes more) in TV's most demanding genre.
Anne Heche, 'Another World'
Played: Marley Love. The sheltered sister of Donna and Peter Love, Marley had traditional teen woes before discovering her family tree had a case of root rot -- Marley was, in reality, Donna's daughter.
Check out the rest after the jump.
I remember vividly watching Another World when Beverlee McKinsey was front and center. She was a dynamic actress, a real scene stealer. She commanded your attention as the spoiled, grown daughter of millionaire scion MacKenzie Cory, Iris, on Another World. Her voice saying, "Daddy," is embedded in my memory.
Right now I'm beginning to see a pattern on Days of Our Lives that's kind of upsetting. The show seems to be stuck in retro mode. They've been bringing back characters by the boat load. This is nothing new. All soaps do it. On All My Children, they just brought Cady McLain back -- and her character Dixie, who's supposedly dead. One Life to Live is resurrecting greatest Tina of all, Andrea Evans. So what's the big deal with what Days doing it? Nothing. It's perfectly legitimate. I support it...to a point. When it reaches a point to where new characters are not taking hold and more and more of the past is becoming the present.
There is no chance that Passions is coming back to NBC. The soap was yanked from the daytime lineup last year, but in a deal with DirecTV, Passions has remained in production. The satellite provider has been showing episodes of the bizarrely-plotted show for months. However, in a recent development, DirecTV has decided to pull the plug. Universal Media Studios, which produces the one-hours, has been trying to find a new place on the dial for Passions without any luck.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Nashville' Finale: 7 Burning Questions for Season 2
- 'Hannibal': 21 Creepy Moments from 'Trou Normand'
- 'Nashville' Music Videos: Juliette's 'Nothing In This World' & Avery and Scarlett's 'Moon is High'
- Blake Shelton Organizes Benefit Concert for Oklahoma Tornado Victims
- 'The Glades' Season 4 Preview: The Proposal Cliffhanger, a Time Jump and Jim as a Step-Dad
- More From BuddyTV
- Jimmy Fallon's 'Game of Desks' names Seth Meyers the 'real true 'Late Night' heir'
- 'Teen Wolf' Season 3 spoilers: 8 things to know about Scott, Stiles, Derek and more Beacon Hills faves
- 'Law and Order: SVU' Season 15: Mariska Hargitay signs on to continue as Olivia Benson
- 'Arrested Development' Rewatch Season 3 finale - 'Development Arrested'
- 'Fresh Prince' reunion: Will Smith does theme song rap with Alfonso Ribeiro and DJ Jazzy Jeff
- More From Zap2it
- Performer of the Week: Tatiana Maslany
- Mariska Hargitay Returning for Law & Order: SVU Season 15 After Closing New Deal
- LOL Video: Will Smith, Alfonso Ribeiro Reunite for Fresh Prince Theme, Carlton's 'Unusual' Dance
- Video: Arrested Development Faves Reveal Everything (and Nothing) About the New Season
- Rookie Blue Sneak Peek: Andy Meets Sam's New Girlfriend, Gets Awkward With Her Ex
- More From TVLine