Granted, there are a few pitfalls in the way. Creator Joss Whedon is busy with his series Dollhouse and his upcoming movie Cabin in the Woods. Plus there may be some confusion regarding the character if they get that Whedon-less Buffy movie made.
There is definitely still life left in the Buffy franchise (look at all the successful series and movies out there involving vampires with a female protagonist). I'm sorry Joss didn't use that Eliza Dushku contract to make a series about the character of Faith rather than Dollhouse, although I understand his creative need to spread his wings. In my mind, there is only a matter of time before they make a feature film that is a direct spin-off from the television series that involves Joss Whedon and doesn't suck. Fingers crossed.
Or maybe NBC is actually seeing Merlin as a quality scripted summer program and truly embracing a twelve-month programming schedule. The shorter thirteen-episode run fits better in the three-month season between seasons. So maybe that second season will make it to NBC in summer 2010? Or at least BBC America if NBC loses faith in it completely.
I haven't seen Merlin yet (it hasn't yet been broadcast in the States), so I can't comment on its quality. It's shown in a lot of different countries and has been renewed, so how bad can it be? Plus it has Anthony Stewart Head in it, who can even save shows like Little Britain from mediocrity.
Given the fact that British dramatic seasons are slightly shorter than their American counterparts (13 episodes as opposed to 22), I do wonder what they'll fill the other half-season with. Despite the shortened season, I have faith in the show's quality. BBC productions with American backing have produced big hits. For good examples, see Rome or Extras.
Our pals over at AOL have a fun new list up featuring their picks for the Top 25 ad icons of all time. As with any list, you can debate the results. I'll not spoil the list for you, but my pick was bumped all the way down to number nine. I bring it up here for two reasons. First, it's a fun trip down memory lane watching all of the old commercials. Seeing a young David Naughton singing and dancing about Dr. Pepper, or David Leisure pitching for Isuzu, is certainly a better use of your time than anything your boss had planned for today.
More importantly, given that this is Buffy week, a familiar face pops up on the list -- it's the one and only Anthony Stewart Head. If you're not of the Hanna Montana generation, you probably recall the series of spots for Nescafe from years gone by. They featured an ongoing story about a couple, Head and Sharon Maughan, tracing their relationship. It had all the classic bits. There was another woman, jobs getting in the way of their courtship, and even a Three's Company-style misunderstanding that gave him all the wrong ideas. In the end ... well, you can watch it all unfold, after the jump.
In a recent interview with Digital Spy, Anthony Stewart Head discusses his newest project on BBC One, The Invisibles, but he also drops an update on the state of Ripper and posts his thoughts on the Buffy Season Eight comic.
Who's the King of Comic-Con? Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon? Kevin may have pulled ahead with this afternoon's Heroes announcement, but Joss' fans come bearing gifts. Seriously. At least half the people asking questions had gifts to lay at the master's feet. Fortunately for us, Joss came equipped with a gift or two himself.
If you don't want one Buffy Season 8 spoiler, don't follow the jump.
From Tom Kapinos (Dawson's Creek), Californication, revolves around a single father trying to raise his child while dealing with sex and drug addictions. And finally, Insatiable tells the story of a small town where everyone has an addiction. It will be headed up by Linda Wallem (The Comeback, Jake In Progress).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelorette' Runner-Up Nick Viall: ' I Think Shawn Really Enjoys My Misfortune'
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: The House Flips and New Targets Emerge
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 5: Vanessa's 2nd HoH Photos
- 'Graceland' Recap: Mike's Addiction Worsens
- 'Under the Dome' Recap: It's the End of the World as We Know It
- More From BuddyTV
- Empire Season 2 Wish List: Guest Star Caveats, Tough Cookie, Sexy Jamal
- Castle Season 8: Ann Cusack Cast as Mystery Woman With Ties to [Spoiler]
- How to Get Away With Murder Season 2: X-Men's Famke Janssen Lands Arc
- Cancelled Too Soon: Pushing Daisies, Constantine, Forever & 17 More Shows TVLine Readers Will Always Miss
- Ratings: Astronaut Wives Club Rises, Big Brother Ticks Up
- More From TVLine
- Jennifer Lawrence's Amazing Bikini Body Tops Amy Schumer's Human Pyramid!
- EXCLUSIVE: These 'How to Get Away With Murder' Bloopers Are to Die For!
- Johnny Depp Will Creep You Out in New 'Black Mass' Trailer
- EXCLUSIVE: Kristen Wiig and Alexander Skarsgård Share a Kiss in New ‘Diary of a Teenage Girl' Clip
- Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross Welcome Baby Girl
- More From ET