The British producer will be expected to "infuse [the show] with fresh perspective and innovative ideas that will serve as a blueprint for a successful fifth season," according to HGTV senior vice president of programming Freddy James.
Burnett introduced competition-based reality programming to American audiences. In addition to his work on 'Survivor,' Burnett has produced everything from 'Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader,' to 'The Apprentice' to MTV's 'Bully Beatdown.'
In 2007, his work on 'Survivor' won him an Emmy for Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Special Class).
'Design Star,' which just wrapped its fourth season in September, is a bit of a departure from Burnett's resume. Which means he may have to spruce it up a little to compete with the intensity of his other shows.
How much money? According to the show's producers it's up to the parents -- but promises to be in the at least hundreds of thousands of dollars category! (Read: No official sponsor for the show yet.)
Bryan Dattilo's had to out-think crafty Sami Brady on 'Days of our Lives' for years; now he's trying to outsmart a bunch of 11-year-olds on 'Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader,' the syndicated game show hosted by Jeff Foxworthy.
"I had never seen the show before but my brother is a big fan of Jeff and his 'jerky' jokes," said Dattilo, who has played Lucas Roberts on 'Days' since 1993. The actor didn't have to go through the rigorous pre-test that regular potential contestants do (believe us, it's not easy), but he caught a few episodes in the green room prior to taping. He talked to AOL about the '5th Grader' experience, plus what's next for Lucas on 'DOOL.'
As for the animated series, with the show set in the world of NASCAR, I worry that the premise is too narrow. But if anybody can turn a show about the redneck's sport of choice into a bona fide hit it would be the guy who helped turn the Blue Collar Comedy Tour into a national phenomenon. This guy gets the working class and they love him right back. I suspect he'll be gently poking fun at them much like his "You might be a redneck" jokes. If he goes too gentle, he can just call it King of the Track and be done with it.
Out of the five nominees, AG not only got the most votes from the TV Squad staff but also our readers (getting about 50 votes more than Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?).
The show may not require a lot of brain power, but it is so physically demanding that some competitors leave the arena seriously injured.
Each week, four competitors (two women and two men) test their physical and mental strength, endurance and confidence in a series of wacky and challenging events such as the Joust, the Wall, Hang Tough and The Eliminator.
1st place to Usama:
2nd place to Josh: Tony: "...and, in a nutshell, that's why sub-prime loans have led to a staggering amount of foreclosures and a precipitous drop in the stock market." Jeff: "I'm sorry, the answer was 'doggy.' We were looking for 'doggy.'"
3rd place to Jacob: "Well, it is a lot funnier when I actually use the sock puppets."
This week, a scene from the latest episode of Private Practice ...
1st place to Chris:
2nd place to Bus: "After this incident, Larry was still only the second biggest pimp at the comic book convention. The first being Josh Livingston who tripped and felt Princess Leia's boob back in 83'."
3rd place to ac: "Don't worry Wonder Woman the room is sealed. Catwoman will never be able to get in."
to Chris: "Boy the Legion of Doom is looking great this year Show Girl"
This week, a scene with Tony Hawk on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? ...
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader kicks off its second season next month with four one-hour episodes and a two-hour season premiere.
The premiere airs Thursday, September 6 at 8:00 p.m., followed by a new episode every Thursday, save for one episode airing on Friday, October 5.
I've only watched a few episodes of this series, but I can only take so many minutes of a yammering jackass behaving in a manner that proves he's not only less smart than a fifth grader, he's also vastly more immature.
- At 8, CBS has a new Pirate Master.
- ABC has the special Fast Cars & Superstars at 8, followed by the Cavaliers/Spurs game.
- FOX has a new Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? at 8, then a new So You Think You Can Dance.
- TBS has four excellent episodes of Friends starting at 8, including the one where Ross dates the girl with the messy apartment and Chandler falls for Joey's girlfriend.
- At 9, TLC has a new American Chopper.
- USA has a new episode of The Starter Wife at 9.
- At 9:30, HBO2 has a making-of special about John From Cincinnati, then the movie Brick.
- At 9:45, HBO has a first look at Evan Almighty.
- At 10, NBC has a new Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
- There's a new Ultimate Fighter on Spike at 10.
- At 10:30, Comedy Central has a new Showbiz Show with David Spade.
Check your local TV listings for more.
It's a safe choice, but I'm not sure it's the smartest one. Is there really anything to be gained by putting House there? It's already the number one scripted show on television. That post Super Bowl boost might be put to better use giving it to a new show, or one that is still growing. My pick would be Bones. This season saw its ratings grow to the point that it is on the verge of being a top 20 show. The added exposure could push it over the top.
There is one caveat with that idea though. If the slot were to go to Bones, they would have to be sure to not make the same mistake that Criminal Minds did. Their post Super Bowl episode was far too dark and gorey. Bones certainly has the occasional cringe inducing moment, but they also have a good sense of fun when they go for the laugh. Given enough lead time, they could make the perfect showcase episode for the spot. Really though, as long as it isn't Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, I'm ok with it either way.
The Black Donnellys (Mon., 10PM, NBC) series premiere
There are no original ideas in the movies -- everything's a sequel, prequel or "re-imagining." So, it's no surprise that this new show from Oscar-winning movie producers Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco (Crash) tries to be an Irish version of The Sopranos. The Donnellys comprise four brothers: hothead Jimmy, gambling Kevin, artistic Tommy and baby Sean. When Jimmy kidnaps Kevin's bookie, the brothers find themselves facing off against the Italian mob.
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? (Tue., 9:30PM, Fox) series premiere
Class is in session! Reality TV maestro Mark Burnett presents this new game show that tests just how much adults have forgotten since their elementary school days. Over three days this week, host Jeff Foxworthy will asks questions about everything from math to grammer to American history. And instead of using a lifeline or asking the mob, contestants can turn to some pint-sized experts: a group of real fifth graders.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Kicks Off with Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- UnREAL Finale Preview: Rachel's Choice, Quinn's War, Broken-Hearted Jeremy and Season 2 Scenarios
- Stephen Colbert's Late Show Promos Wield Magic, Mitt and a 'Dreamboat'
- The 100 Season 3 Video: Cast Talks Jaha's Revenge, Lexa's Return & More
- More From TVLine
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire's Kerry Bishé on Donna's Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn't a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Probably Going to Be Pissed Off if There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- More from Vulture
- 'I Am Cait' Gets Emotional and Educational During a Road Trip With Some New Friends
- Cara Delevingne Shows Off Pink Hair at Girlfriend's Concert in Montreal
- Eliza Dushku Got Kicked Out of Hotel Room to Make Way for One Direction
- Jericho the Lion Is Alive Despite Reports
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys a Girls Night Out with Shania Twain: 'Music is Medicine'
- More From ET