If you didn't see it, let me tell you this much: Artie didn't kill the show; it was already dead when he got there. What he did was the equivalent of finding a dead squirrel (with awful, frat-boy hair), filling it full of firecrackers, then cackling gleefully as the guts rained down onto Jason Sudeikis and Paul Rudd.
Artie Lange's appearance on Joe Buck Live was boorish, crude, mean-spiritied, and blatantly homophobic. It was the kind of thing that'll probably end the career of the poor person who booked him on the show.
It's also something that we need a hell of a lot more of...
Considering the company that Artie keeps on Sirius Satellite Radio, being banned should not be a foreign concept to him. No doubt they'll talk about it on Howard Stern's radio show for days on end.
(S34E23) Wow. Way to go, Will Ferrell. Maybe they should just bring back Saturday Night Live alumni for season finales from now on, because this episode was spectacular. Ferrell brought back some old favorites and a slew of famous faces, from the familiar to the inexplicable, including Amy Poehler, Tom Hanks, Anne Hathaway and Artie Lange. Here are some video highlights from the evening (Hulu vids are US only. Sorry, kids... you can also watch these videos at NBC's website).
1st place to Nik:
2nd place to Fred: "C'mon, say it with me: Toga! Toga! Toga!"
3rd place to Rogphi: "What can I say... she's a hard habit to break."
This week, a scene from the latest episode of Kyle XY ...
1st place to Chris Wyant:
2nd place to Brent McKee: "I don't care what you say Henry, these things do not make us all look like professional poker players."
3rd place to Brooke Thorington: "Brush fires were ignored as thousands stood in line for Corey Hart's 'I Wear My Sunglasses at Night' comeback tour."
This week, a scene from this week's episode of Rescue Me ...
- Charlie Rose: a discussion of Muslims in America
- The Daily Show: Angelina Jolie (repeat)
- The Colbert Report: Toby Keith (repeat)
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Nicole Richie, Artie Lange, and Chrisette Michele (repeat)
- Jay Leno: Jessica Alba, Seth Rogan, and Lucinda Williams (repeat)
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Kevin Nealon and Dana Gould (repeat)
- Tavis Smiley: Bernie Mac (repeat)
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: George Lucas, Will Arnett, and Chris Isaak (repeat)
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Wolfgang Puck and Big and Rich
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Harold Perrineau and Bloc Party (repeat)
- Charlie Rose: artist Richard Serra (part 2)
- The Daily Show: Michael Barone
- The Colbert Report: Carl Bernstein
- The Late Show With David Letterman: Nicole Richie, Artie Lange, and Chrisette Michele
- Jay Leno: Bernie Mac, Chris Cornell, Cat Deely
- Jimmy Kimmel Live: Kevin Costner, Leslie Mann, and Patrick Wolf
- Tavis Smiley: Dennis Hopper
- Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Debra Messing and Nelly Furtado
- The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson: Carl Reiner, Jonah Hill, and Bright Eyes
- Last Call With Carson Daly: Olivia Wilde and Peter Bjorn & John
Case in point: he announced this morning that he'll guest star on six episodes of Rescue Me this season, playing a fireman buddy of Denis Leary's character of Tommy Gavin. Perhaps this is part of the development deal Lange signed with FOX last year, as the show is on FX. But it may just be a part of the fact that, no matter what he gets into in his personal life, producers know that Artie has a following and can deliver a good performance. Either way, it's good to see him getting more and more work. He just needs to get some sleep and stop being so "sick," as he has been lately.
Which role, you might ask? Well, I'll leave that for you to guess, but here are some clues: Artie told Howard that they were looking for a "New Jersey/New York" guy, with the requisite accent and regular-guy manner. So, either watch tonight's premiere or go to the show's website and figure it out. There seems to be conflicting stories as to why he turned the show down: executive producer Rob Burnett told Howard 100 News that it was due to "scheduling difficulties", but Artie just didn't think the concept was going to fly. Burnett told the Howard 100 folks that he hopes to have Artie on later in the season; maybe the crew will try to rob him instead of him being one of the robbers.
Well, this is...interesting.
Howard Stern continues his TV talk show tour to promote his Sirius radio show, and last week appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live, but not in the same studio as Kimmel. At first it looks like Stern is sitting down in the chair next to Kimmel's desk, but you quickly realized that Stern is in New York City (Kimmel tapes in L.A.) and is sitting in front of a green screen to make it look like he's with Kimmel. You also figure out what's going on once you see Stern and Kimmel attempt to kiss and they can't quite line up their, um, tongues.
Stern also gives Kimmel a free Sirius Stiletto radio. He did the same thing on Letterman last week. I wonder if Dave and Paul feel cheap now? Video after the jump! (Note: the video also includes a 90 year-old woman having an orgasm.)
For now, he'll still be doing Howard's show, because there is not sitcom vehicle imminent; but if a project does come along in ten months or so, he'll have to leave.
Anyway, it looks like Artie's fame is growing, despite the fact that Howard's show isn't on terrestrial radio anymore. My guess is that Artie can now let go on Sirius; his sense of humor and timing are really shining on satellite, and people are noticing. Also, Lange wrote and starred in a new independent comedy, Beer League, which will be out in September. It's getting good reviews at film festivals, so that may also be upping Artie's profile. Either way, good for him. He's one of the good guys in the business.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 7.4 Photos: The Heaven and Hell Ball
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Recap: Sexual Foibles
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 7 Premiere Recap: Who Are the Heretics?
- 'Project Runway' Recap: The Production Crew Get Makeovers
- 'Heroes Reborn' Recap: Butterflies in the Arctic
- More From BuddyTV
- How to Get Away With Murder Recap: 'Tonya, You Negligent Slut!'
- Scandal Recap: White House Frown
- Heroes Reborn Recap: Suicide Squad
- Sleepy Hollow Recap: Secrets and Spies, Plus: The Witnesses as Roomies
- The Originals Premiere: EP Talks Klaus and Cami's Hurdle, Hayley's Surprising Return and That Twisted Prophecy
- More From TVLine
- Two Looks One Star
- D.A. Requested Bobbi Kristina Brown's Autopsy Be Sealed for Fear of Potential Flight Risk, Harm to Witnesses
- What is Lupus, and Why Would Selena Gomez Get Chemo for It?
- Someone in a Dinosaur Costume Totally Aced This 'American Ninja Warrior' Course
- Nick Cannon's Kids Took Him to Chuck E. Cheese's for His 35th Birthday and It's Adorable
- More From ET