All right, let's get into this Cop Rock thing that the A.V. Club has just mentioned as one of the top "lamentably lost" television shows. Trust me folks, the show was not something to lament about. In fact, I'm sure there are people out there who wish the show would just be lost and buried deep into the ground.
I guess you could say that the concept of the show was unique. Created by Steven Bochco, who was known as the driving force behind the police drama Hill Street Blues, Cop Rock combined said police drama with musical theater. Each episode of the short-lived series, which ran on ABC from September to December of 1990, began with a music-video style credit sequence with theme music by Randy Newman. Then, throughout each week's program, characters would break out in song and dance during the middle of a scene. For example, a jury would sing out "He's Guilty" in Gospel format, or a lineup of Hispanic suspects would proclaim racial discrimination in a pithy little ditty.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Final Rose: Josh and Andi's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Phaedra Parks Taking Time Off from Filming 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- [Video] 'Covert Affairs' Exclusive: Uncovering Secrets
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 5 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: Confronting Nick and Fantasy Suite Sex
- More From BuddyTV
- Sex and the City's Ron Livingston Cast as Paul Revere in AMC Comedy Pilot
- Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actress in a Drama? Take Our Poll!
- Ratings: Ninja Warrior Hits 2-Year High Vs. All-Time Low Bachelorette Finale
- Castle's Molly Quinn Talks Teary Finale, the Alexis-Kate Tension That Follows
- First Look: Hot in Cleveland's Elka Makes Like Wonka in Animated Outing
- More From TVLine
- Martha Stewart on Blake Lively's New Lifestyle Blog: 'I Mean, It's Stupid'
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett's Jazz Album Gets a Release Date
- What Baby Bump? Zoe Saldana Nude For Women's Health UK
- Ariana Grande On Her Late Grandpa and Falling Out of Touch With Her Dad
- 'Fifty Shades' Trailer Sets a 2014 Record
- More From ET