But many might not realize Manilow also wrote some instantly recognizable jingles, including 'Like A Good Neighbor' for State Farm and 'Stuck on Band-Aid.' "Those are the two they keep playing 30 years later," he said. For writing those jingles, he was paid the grand sum of $500 each. "I was very happy to get that five hundred dollars," he said. "Nobody could have predicted that it was going to last that long."
They also discussed fashion, showing one of Manilow's more outrageous stage outfits. "It follows me like a bad smell, that shirt," he said. At least he still has his own hair and he's skinny because he doesn't "like eating." Someone tell him he can afford a sandwich now.
"My partner Nick Anderson and I, we watched Britney Spears get hounded by the paparazzi," said Manilow. "She couldn't go to Starbucks. She couldn't even live her life, you know? And that didn't happen to me when I was starting off. But it does to these young people."
Manilow also performed his song 'Bring On Tomorrow,' a sweeping piano ballad from the new album, his first of all-new original material since 2001's 'Here at the Mayflower.'
Well, Barry thinks it's a great idea and did something about it. Ryan Seacrest reports that Manilow called him the other day to address rumors that he'll be on 'Glee' -- rumors that were news to me. Barry told Ryan that he hasn't received a phone call from 'Glee' yet, but he's willing. "It would be great."
He's even picked out a song that he would like to hear New Directions, the glee club on the show, sing. "I would love them do to 'One Voice.' That's the only thing I'd love to hear them do, but if they want to do my catalog, oh, I'd be right there." 'One Voice' is a great choice, too. It's basically a chorus piece and very relevant for the show.
"I gather with my band and my singers in our dressing room, and we turn up the music, like Lady Gaga, and jump around and get ourselves crazy so that when we walk on the stage, we're filled with energy." Yeah, she has that effect on us, too.
Watch the video after the jump.
Co-hosted by Jane Krakowski of '30 Rock' and Zachary Levi of 'Chuck,' the special culminated in the lighting of this year's tree, which stands at a towering 76 feet high and is adorned with more than 25,000 multicolored bulbs. Watch our clip for a sample of the performance by the Rockettes, a peek at Shakira's rendition of 'Santa Baby' and a look at the tree lighting itself.
Watch the video after the jump.
Susan will appear on QVC on November 4 to launch her debut album I Dreamed a Dream. If you tune in, you'll see Susan talking about the CD -- it doesn't sound like she'll be singing live -- but they'll spin some cuts and urge you to order.
If you do, there'll be a bonus DVD of rare footage that you'll get along with the eclectic batch of songs she's recorded. How eclectic? Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses," The Monkees' "Daydream Believer," Madonna's "You'll See" and, of course, from Les Miserables, "I Dreamed A Dream."
Before I tell you more and present the video, I want to go on record saying that I like the idea of the ad. It's a collaboration between Dove and Wal-Mart, presenting real women. The thought is that there is Real Beauty in real women, not models or celebrities, but just everyday people.
The pressure was turned up a notch this week as each of the couples had to do two complete numbers for the first time. The results of all their hard work left the judges scores landing all over the map, from 21 to 29. Jonathan is back this week with his take on all of the performances, and some thoughts on those confusing scores.
We also got to a number of reader questions. So, read on past the jump to find out which celebrity is on Jonathan's partner wish list, how he got involved with the show, what some of his favorite musical numbers were, just what makes the foxtrot so hard, and what Jonathan thinks of the possibility that Paula Abdul would be on the show. Oh, and there is also a bit of a teaser about what the future might hold for our favorite pro.
Today: on TV Squad Daily:
- Barry Manilow regrets causing all this fuss about refusing to appear on The View.
- Kid Nation premieres tonight.
- BFF! Despite turning down an invite to appear on her show, Rosie O'Donnell said Oprah is a "force of nature."
I'm not at all amazed that another week brings another controversy to The View, but I am a little surprised at who is involved this time.
Singer Barry Manilow has refused to appear on the show today because he didn't want to be interviewed by Elizabeth Hasselbeck. At first I thought this was one of those "taken out of context" things, but Manilow himself told TMZ.com: "I strongly disagree with her views. I think she's dangerous and offensive. I will not be on the same stage as her." He explains more on his site.
It's a little odd because he actually was on the same stage with her more than once the past few years. Maybe he sided with Rosie in the Daytime Talk Show Wars (TM). I'm sure the gals on the show will be talking about this today and tomorrow. And all you readers can begin leaving your many comments below right about....now.
I was going to do a post on how odd it was that Barry Manilow appeared on both Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray the other day, at the same time (live on Martha's and taped on Rachael's show), but one thing happened that I didn't realize when I was switching back and forth between each show.
Martha actually called Rachael out on it, live on the air!
According to the NY Post, Martha said this:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'The Originals' at Comic-Con 2014: First Look at Season 2, Klaus' Daddy Issues and Returning Characters
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'The Judges Decide'
- [Video] 'The 100' at Comic-Con 2014: More Grounders, Linctavia and Fearing The Reapers
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 5 Battle of the Block?
- 'SHIELD' and 'Agent Carter' at Comic-Con: New Season 2 Characters and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Marvel TV @ Comic-Con: S.H.I.E.L.D. Adds Mockingbird and Hydra Baddie, Agent Carter Flirts With a Stark
- Community Season 6: Dan Harmon Teases More Paintball, Orgy Episode and... the Return of Donald Glover?
- Outlander: Watch the New Trailer
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Casts Lance Hunter — Is S.T.R.I.K.E. Coming? Plus: Details on Lucy Lawless' Role
- Mary-Louise Parker, Peter Sarsgaard Board NBC Miniseries The Slap
- More From TVLine
- Jada Pinkett Smith Talks Playing A Villian on 'Gotham'
- 'Expendables 3' Star Wesley Snipes on His Return to Hollywood
- Top 5 Extras Who Completely Failed Their Scenes
- Nicolas Cage's Scrapped Superman Movie Should Have Totally Happened
- Susan Sarandon on Using Mushrooms, Acid and Her Love Affair with Bowie!
- More From ET