April 25, 2014
by Adam Finley, posted Jun 4th 2006 12:06PM
Either I had completely forgotten about this, or I never actually knew about it in the first place, but back in the 1980s, Ren and Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi worked on an updated version of Bob Clampett's Beany and Cecil, one of the best cartoons ever made. Now, Clampett was a huge influence on John K's style, so if anyone was going to try and bring this old cartoon back and revamp it for a new audience, I figure he was the best choice. Of course, I think it would be impossible to ever duplicate the brilliance of the original, but based on this full episode I found on YouTube, they did a pretty decent job. There seems to be very little information on this cartoon, and as far as I can tell, IMDb doesn't even have a listing for it. I'm fairly certain voice actor Stan Freberg provides the same voices (Cecil, Dishonest John, etc.) in this cartoon as he did in the original, though I can't be positive about that.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Seth Meyers Hosting 2014 Emmy Awards
- Did ABC's Black Box Get Inside Your Head?
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Before and Aftershocks — Plus Your First Look at Burke's Return
- CBS' Bad Teacher: Did It Pass or Fail?
- American Idol Top 6 Results Recap: Maybe I Didn't Vote for You, Quite as Often as I Should Have
- More From TVLine
- Aaron Carter Opens Up About Addiction Struggle
- Justin Bieber Released from Customs (VIDEO)
- Hang Ten with Hollywood's Best Surf Films
- Tori Spelling Acknowledges Her Cheating Past on 'True Tori'
- Bryan Singer Calls Underage Sex Abuse Allegations 'Vicious,' Pulls Out of 'X-Men' Promo Events
- More From ET