(S01E03) Much better! After the awkwardness of The Price is Right and the emotionally robotic Let's Make a Deal, CBS's Game Show Marathon finally came up with a game that was fairly enjoyable: Beat the Clock. There were two reasons for that. First, it's always good to watch celebrities knowingly make fools of themselves in front of an audience. Second, they didn't have to guess the friggin price of Aspercreme to win a prize!
Add to that the fact that Beat the Clock is one of those quietly classic game shows that has endured since it first premiered on television in the 1950's. In this game there's no getting close to the actual dollar amount, no pressure to choose what was in the box or what was behind door number three. It's basically a game of teamwork. And, if the team works really well then riches abound. The concept has been used other shows such as Double Dare and, Lord help us, Fear Factor.
There also one more reason why I could tolerate this episode a bit more than the last two: Paige Davis is just so spunky!
Back in the 1980s, two classic game shows, Match Game and Hollywood Squares, were combined into a one-hour show. The result was extremely underwhelming to audiences back then. Now, over 20 years later, they're trying this concept again... with seven game shows combined into one. Don't network executives ever learn?
Actually, this one looks to be a bit more interesting than The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour (catchy, ain't it?). It's called Game Show Marathon and it's premiering on CBS tonight. Hosted by veteran talk show maven Rikki Lake, Marathon combines seven classic game shows into one program: The Price Is Right, Beat the Clock, Card Sharks, Let's Make a Deal, Press Your Luck, Family Feud, and Match Game. Other than Deal, all of the other game shows have aired or are currently airing on CBS at one time or another.
Starting with The Price is Right, the show will pit six celebrity players against each other, who will attempt to win cash and prizes for home viewers. Game Show Marathon will continue to run twice-weekly until July, when it will settle into its Thursday night slot. TVgameshows.net profiles the game show and interviews Rikki Lake about the challenges of hosting seven different game shows at one time in a three-week period.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.14 Photos: Stefan and Caroline Get Closer
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'Enough is Enough'
- [Video] 'American Idol' One Singer to Watch: Maddy Hudson Performs a Beyonce Song with Emotion
- 'Scandal' Interview: Darby Stanchfield on Abby's Upcoming 'Gladiator Moments'
- [Video] 'The Bachelor' Preview: Kelsey Flips Out
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot News: NBC Orders Adaption of Andy Samberg's Cuckoo Comedy
- 12 Monkeys: Originals Actor Previews His 'Scary,''Delicious' Rabble-Rouser, Plus: Cole Jumps Into an Outbreak
- Pilot Season '15: Scoop on This Fall's (Possible) New Shows, Who's In Them
- New Once Upon a Time Season 4B Poster Deals Three Queens
- TVLine Items: Top Chef Renewed, BSG Vet Visits Fargo, Mom News and More
- More From TVLine
- Lindsay Lohan Tries to Pass Off Meeting Fans as Community Service
- Awesome Emma Watson Gives the Most Awesome Advice to a Young Woman on Twitter
- Jennifer Lawrence 'Screamed' When She Met Kim Kardashian
- Kanye West Sweetly Serenades North West In 'Only One' Video
- After Two Marriages, Sean Penn Says Charlize Theron Would Be First That Matters
- More From ET