A history of reality television (part five): I take this millionaire bachelor to be my geeky newlywed date - VIDEOS
For some, watching relationship-based reality programming is not their idea of a pleasant night in. Why should they watch shows about finding and keeping love when it takes so long to find that right person in real life? Yet, since the mid-'60s, viewers have turned-in to watch others search for their soul mate. Or, at least their soul mate of the hour.
Of course, in the time of the Reality Revolution, the way love was found on television changed a bit. Rather than asking a simple set of questions to a set of bachelors or bachelorettes sitting behind a wall, men and women would compete for the love of a well-to-do bachelor or bachelorette, or a rapper/model, or a washed up 80s hair band star. They would even compete to see if their love could withstand an onslaught of temptation.
Sometimes they would find their one true love on these reality show. Other times they would be tossed away, their hearts broken, like a piece of paper. Along the way they would be love, sex, fights, sex, heartfelt moments, and sex. With reality programming being what it is, the viewers ate it all up.
A day hasn't gone by where we haven't received some sort of tip or email asking us, the TV Squad, how to get on [insert reality show here]. Unfortunately no, Simon Cowell does not work for us, and Donald Trump isn't my BFF, so we really can't help all that much.
The folks at RealityWanted.com often send us a list of new and existing reality shows that are looking for new, er, talent, and they've given us permission to make mention of them here. We'll try to make this a regular feature as often as we get a new list.
This time we have Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, Big Brother and other new shows.
- At 8, ABC has two new episodes of Just For Laughs, then the special Elvis: Viva Las Vegas.
- CBS has a new Power of 10 at 8, followed by a new Big Brother.
- NBC has new, two hour episode of The Biggest Loser at 8.
- The CW has the season premiere of Beauty and the Geek at 8.
- There's a new Lincoln Heights at 8 on ABC Family.
- ESPN has two new episodes of the World Series of Poker starting at 8. They're followed by a new episode of The Contender.
- At 9, Sci-Fi has a new Eureka, then a new ECW.
- Discovery has a new Dirty Jobs at 9.
- Food Network has a new Rachael Ray at 9, then a new Have Fork, Will Travel.
- At 10, A&E has a new Criss Angel Mindfreak.
- FX has a new Damages at 9.
- TLC has a new L.A. Ink at 10.
- HBO has a new Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.
- Also at 10: Food Network has a new Glutton For Punishment.
Check your local TV listings for more.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Oh goodie! Reality TV is preparing to make its fall comeback, which will include more of Beauty and the Geek and The Pussycat Dolls.
- The creator of The Simpsons is spilling all kinds of fun facts lately, in hopes it will make you want to watch The Simpsons Movie.
- Kelly Clarkson is giving us too much info in interviews lately.
The video's embedded below, or you can subscribe to this podcast via our feed. Plus, you can also download the file directly
Before American Idol totally takes over the landscape next week when the top 24 start "singing," lots of stuff is happening on, you know, the rest of television. Jack Bauer's on for two hours tonight, while a new season of The Amazing Race revs up Sunday. Here are AOL Television's picks of the week.
24 (Mon., 8PM, Fox)
Seriously, where do 24 presidents find their awful advisors? Monster.com? In particular, the Palmer brothers need a better headhunter. In season two, David Palmer's chief of staff, Mike Novick, organized the Cabinet to use the 25th amendment and declare him unfit for office. Now, Wayne Palmer's chief of staff, Tom Lennox, and vice president, Noah Daniels, are conspiring to enact tougher security measures -- without Palmer's approval. Just goes to show, only Jack Bauer can be trusted.
Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show (Tue., 8PM, USA)
Maybe dogs get stressed out, just like us. They have to replace children and spouses for many owners, look good as celebrities' accessories and perform well at dog shows like Westminster. Next thing you know, we'll want them to attend college. It must be overwhelming. Consider the award-winning whippet named Bohem C'est La Vie, who escaped from her cage after Westminster last year. The police, psychics and group prayers couldn't find her. Hey, even pups need vacation time, too
I love 'Laguna Beach.' So much so, I even love its spawn. The ditzy models of '8th and Ocean' grew on me, and I fully expect to become completely addicted to this sun and surf reality drama. The show will follow seven young Maui residents who, according to MTV, spend "their days sunning and their nights partying with no rules and no one to answer to." Can TV really get any better than that?
- At 8, FOX has the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
- CBS has a new King of Queens at 8.
- PBS has the premiere of Wired Science at 8, followed by a new American Masters on Annie Leibovitz.
- ABC has two new episodes of According To Jim at 8, followed by the premieres of The Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency, then a new Primetime.
- NBC has new episodes of Friday Night Lights, Deal Or No Deal, and Medium.
- The CW has the two hour season premiere of Beauty and the Geek at 8.
- At 9, Court TV has a new Forensic Files.
- At 10, HBO has a new Inside The NFL.
- TV Land continues their M*A*S*H marathon.
Returning: 7th Heaven; Gilmore Girls; Smallville; Beauty and the Geek; Supernatural; One Tree Hill; All of Us; Girlfriends; Veronica Mars; WWE Smackdown; America's Next Top Model; Everybody Hates Chris.
Out: The Bedford Diaries; Blue Collar TV; Everwood; Living With Fran; Modern Men; Pepper Dennis;
New: Runaway; The Game; Palm Springs.
Moving: Everbody Hates Chris (to Sundays at 8); All Of Me (to Sundays); Girlfriends (to Sundays); The Game (Sundays); One Tree Hill (Wednesdays at 9).
Check back here later in the day for any updates that may come from the official Upfront presentation. Detailed descriptions of the new shows are after the jump below.
[Thanks to The Futon Critic for the info.]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- The 30 Best Auditions of 'American Idol' Season 14
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilots: CBS Adds David Shore/Bryan Cranston Drama, James Patterson Riff
- Pilots: ABC Orders Comedies About Johnny Knoxville, NBA Odd Couple, Genius Kids, Plus 4 Others
- Ground Floor Cancelled at TBS
- Glee Recap: Love in an Elevator
- Pilots: ABC Orders College Conspiracy, Modern Oil Boom Dramas, Others
- More From TVLine