by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 21st 2010 1:03PM
Another week, another story from Hollywood about a beloved TV show being turned into a feature film. Last week it was 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' and this week it's ... 'I Dream of Jeannie.' Yes, yes, they've talked about this one before. But that was then and this is now and the Los Angeles Times reports that 'I Dream of Jeannie' is back on with Sheila Callaghan, one of the scribes on 'United States of Tara,' has been handed the assignment. That means whatever the writers from 'National Treasure' and 'Mulan' and 'Bend It Like Beckham' who've taken a swing at it in the past few years weren't able to make it work.
There is an essential problem with 'Jeannie,' as anyone who knows the shows realizes. How do you make the story of a love-crazed, subservient slave-like genie who lives in a bottle and calls her astronaut boyfriend master relevant. That's a tough nut to crack, but maybe casting the role of Jeannie would be a start.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bakery Boss' enlists a drill sergeant to help Kristi G's Cupcakes & More
- 'The Voice': Behind the scenes with the Top 5 in the recording studio
- 'Scandal,''Orange Is The New Black' in, 'Modern Family' out of AFI Top 10 TV list
- 'The Sing-Off's' Jewel: A cappella 'was a dying art form before this show came along'
- 'Californication' announces series finale: Season 7 will be its last
- More From Zap2it
- 'Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Reign, Once, Mindy and Other Shows Are Faring
- Exclusive Sneak Peek: The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Battle Centipede's Next Gen Super-Soldier
- What's on Your TV Wish List for 2014? Speak Up!
- RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 Trailer: Spilling Tea, Stalking Prey, Blowing S*** Up!
- Showtime Cancels Californication
- More From TVLine