More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revolution' Creator Eric Kripke Answers: Will the Story Live On?
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.6 Photos: A Visit from April's Mom
- 'Constantine' Series Premiere Recap: John Constantine Makes a Big Entrance
- The 10 Best Looks of 'Project Runway' Season 13
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- More From BuddyTV
- Castle Scoop: Krista Allen Cast as Former B-Movie Star
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Supernatural's Jensen Ackles
- Ratings: Constantine Does Sub-Dracula Numbers, Blue Bloods Hits Highs
- Constantine: Will You Go to Hell and Back for NBC's New Drama?
- Grimm Season 4 Premiere Recap: Trubel-ing Times
- More From TVLine