As part of Rancic's double mastectomy, which will dramatically reduce the chance of the cancer's recurrence, she'll also be undergoing a breast reconstruction. "I'm doing reconstruction at the same time, so they might come out looking even hotter ... Bill helped pick them out and everything. I'm like, 'Bill, that big, really?' He always said he wasn't a boob man, but that's not true," she joked.
Bill said they're both doing okay, and that Giuliana expects to return to work next week. He also thanked viewers at home on her behalf for all their support: "It's definitely helped Giuliana get through this." The two-hour surgery went well and Giuliana is now recuperating at home.
Bill said that although it was "heartbreaking" to see her have to undergo the surgery, "we're looking at this as a gift" because the cancer was detected in the very early stages. He also said it's helped the couple focus on what's important in life.
She sat down with host Ann Curry and revealed that a tumor was discovered when she had a mammogram as part of her ongoing IVF treatment.
"Through my attempt to get pregnant through IVF, we sadly found out that I have early stages of breast cancer," she said. "It's been a shock."
However, Rancic said that the prognosis is good. She will undergo surgery this week and then have six weeks of radiation therapy.
"Maybe it's time to kind of start thinking about having a kid again," Giuliana said.
Bill's response was a little odd. "Whatever you want to do, I support," he said. But isn't he supposed to want it as much as she does when it comes to having a baby? That's not an endeavor you support your wife in, it's one you participate and commit to as fully as she does.
She didn't tear up talking about her love for Bill, or his love for her, but rather Bill's love for Chicago and his friends. As the part was scheduled for after his actual birthday, apparently Bill was a little sad.
"Bill never said, 'I want some gift from my mom'," Giuliana said. "It was always, 'I just want to see my friends.' ... Bill loves you guys so much, and he loves Chicago so much, and everywhere he goes in the world he can't ever get Chicago and his friends out of his heart."
"That story is definitely out there," Giuliana agreed, but she didn't say definitively that this is something they were going to do. She did, though, admit that it was one of several things they were considering, as nothing else has been working and they do want to have children.
Specifically, Giuliana would like to reach back to her own roots. "I'd love to adopt from where I'm from," she said. "I moved from Naples, Italy when I was a little girl and we were there recently, and I thought it would be really special to adopt an underprivileged kid from there."
Handler turned her attention to Bill and asked about his upcoming show, 'America Now,' with Leeza Gibbons. Bill describes it as a "news-you-can-use show," but that's not what Handler was wondering about. Why's he doing a show in LA if he doesn't like it in LA?
"Do you still hate LA?" she asked.
"I don't love it here. But if I'm gonna be here, I might as well make some money, right?" Plenty of people go to undesirable places for jobs, though most people wouldn't consider sunny Southern California so undesirable.
According to the TheWrap, NBC is bringing back the celeb-free version of 'The Apprentice' for the first time since 2007, with a recession-era twist: "Real people" contestants who've been hit hard by the bad economy will get a chance to reverse their fortunes by wowing boss Donald Trump.
The return of the original premise has been rumored for some time. Trump recently declared himself all for it, telling reporters, "I will be very involved if they bring back regular 'Apprentice,'" he said. "I'd be very involved in the casting again."
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Bill Rancic (the original Apprentice winner) got married this past weekend to an E! News anchor.
- Fox will be bringing us a new reality program. It's like Smile You're on Candid Camera only probably without the smiling, since people are getting arrested.
- Sanjaya's family is putting their house up for sale and "going Hollywood" which seems like a really really bad idea.
E! reports that Bill popped the question by taking DePandi on a helicopter ride over his hometown of Chicago, then treating her to deep-dish pizza, chocolate cake and champagne.
Bill is still working for Donald Trump, in various capacities. His newest job is to play 'sidekick' to Trump on the next edition of The Apprentice, which premieres on NBC on January 7.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grimm': 17 Nasty Surprises from 'The Stories We Tell Our Young'
- The Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Spark in the Park'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'NCIS' Season 11 Episode Photos
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Episode 10 Photos: Mike Peterson Returns to Fight Against Centipede
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Saturday Night Live': Paul Rudd hosts with returning favorites - Watch videos of the best and worst sketches
- Paul Rudd hosts 'Saturday Night Live': Kristen Wiig, Fred Armisen, Will Ferrell and 'Anchorman' cast stop by
- Watch 'Downton Abbey's' Season 4 Christmas special trailer
- 'Haven' recap: Audrey and the Troubles go dark in 'When the Bough Breaks'
- 'Cupcake Wars': Justin Willman offers 'Comedy Cupcakes' cheer for the holidays
- More From Zap2it
- Paul Rudd Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches
- What to Watch Sunday: Race Finishes, Mentalist Fall Finale, Bonnie & Clyde Ride Again and More
- Reality Check: Breaking Down The Voice's Final 5! Plus: Alex & Sierra's X Factor Supremacy
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from The Walking Dead, Grey's, Sons of Anarchy and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Audra McDonald
- More From TVLine