But while his comedy shows may be getting bigger in size, Gardell is decreasing in size himself. He's lost 25 pounds, or "one chin," since the show began. Gardell said that his producers were behind him in his weight-loss journey, assuring him that they would write the changes into his character's story. Even with the support, Gardell admitted that "sometimes the cake wins."
"I thought her speech when she won the Emmy was incredibly genuine, and it's a real reflection of who she is," Gardell said.
But when Craig Ferguson asked if he feared this could impact their relationship, Gardell was confident it won't. "She hasn't talked to me since she won it," he joked. "I'm sure she's just busy."
"I'm still getting those looks like they're not sure," he explained. "I get that look on the street like, 'Are you on TV or did you fix our toilet? I know I know you from somewhere.'"
If that's the case now, it's only going to be a matter of time before Gardell's face is known by more people. If nothing else, McCarthy's success in 'Bridesmaids' could draw more viewers to the second season of 'Mike & Molly' this fall, which would help Gardell's star rise as well. It's a win-win-win (the third one is for us, because we get another season of their irresistible adorableness).
[Warning: Spoiler alert.]
Things are going well, as policeman Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) spends some "sexy time" with teacher Molly Flynn. But when the weekend is over, Mike has trouble letting go. Not that this presents a huge problem for Molly (Melissa McCarthy).
When it's time for Molly to leave, Mike makes an impromptu speech, listing his favorite things about their time together -- which includes the pair eating "kettle corn" ... in bed. He continues: "My favorite part of this weekend was waking up in the morning, seeing you laying next to me ... your tiny feet popping out of the covers. ... The 'other stuff' was great, but that's the memory I'll be keeping 'right here,'" Mike says, pointing to his heart.
Creator Mark Roberts and executive producer Chuck Lorre ('Two and a Half Men,' 'The Big Bang Theory') wanted to present a comedy that more accurately reflected the America we see outside our windows rather than the one reflected back to us from our televisions.
Enter Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) and Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), two overweight singles who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting.
Craig Ferguson probably doesn't know much about Gardell, but the actor and his family are definitely familiar with the host. "My Aunt Judy adores you. Will you say hi to Aunt Judy?" pleaded Gardell.
Ferguson gestured for some cash. Gardell rummaged up a $20 bill. The host then got some particulars (like where she lives) and gave her a saucy shout-out.
The girl, Molly, is going to be played by Melissa McCarthy. The fact that Melissa McCarthy will be in 'Mike and Molly' has made me want to watch it. How great is it that Sookie from 'Gilmore Girls' is getting the star turn! For fans of 'Gilmore Girls,' Sookie was always an adorable sidekick to Lorelai, and Melissa McCarthy was wonderful in the role. She was equally kooky and lovable on 'Samantha Who?' as Dena. I have no doubt that she's going be be terrific on 'Mike and Molly.'
(S03E07/S03E08) Crazy ho! - Earl Hickey
Seeing how the first Cops episode was my personal favorite I was psyched to see another one. I love seeing all the gang back together again; one-legged girlfriend, now-deceased kidnapping victim, throat cancer survivor, gay Kenny and the addition of Billy Gardell as Officer Hoyne was a smart casting move.
The great thing about these kind of episodes is that they seem like a bunch of random jokes and scenes strung together documentary style but when it's over, you realize that an intricately woven plot has just unfolded.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'DIG' Exclusive Clip: Will Debbie Be Saved?
- 'Supernatural' Interview: Jim Beaver Teases Bobby's Return is 'The Real Deal'
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' Predictions: Who Will Go Home in Week 6?
- 'American Idol' Predictions: Who Will Leave the Top 9?
- 'The Flash' Episode 18 Photos: Felicity and the Atom Visit Central City
- More From BuddyTV
- Supernatural's Jim Beaver on Bobby's 'Wistful' Heaven, Concerns About Dean
- Cougar Town Finale Recap: 'Deja View'
- Forever Creator: Abigail's Fate Will Be Resolved by Season's End
- Younger: Is TV Land's Sutton Foster Comedy Already Growing on You?
- Finding Carter Season Premiere Recap: Egg-citing New Developments
- More From TVLine
- Watch Jennifer Lawrence, Britney Spears & More Attempt to Be Funny in 1.5 Seconds
- From 'Fast & Furious 6' to 'Bad Boys 2': The 7 Craziest Car Chases in Movie History
- EXCLUSIVE! 'American Crime' Sneak Peek: Barb's Heart-to-Heart Gets Heated!
- Comedy Central Defends New 'Daily Show' Host Trevor Noah: Don't Judge Him By His Tweets
- First Look at Teresa Giudice Since Starting Prison Sentence
- More From ET