The other day Questlove, drummer of The Roots, was taking a break from the grueling day of being the house band at 'Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.' He goes to the commissary at NBC's 30 Rock headquarters and notices that they have a special menu that celebrates Black History Month.
Great, right? Well, judging by the menu above, it wasn't all that great. Questlove snapped that picture and posted it to Twitter with the caption, "Hmm HR?"
What's funny is that how, in this ultra-connected society, this has become a real story, and not just a strange, not-meant-to-be-offensive-but-is-anyway occurrence. According to Mediaite, not only did the NBC corporate folks respond with a tweet (under a little-used @NBCU account) that the sign was taken down, but NBC's own African-American issues web site The Grio interviewed the cook who made up the menu. That interview is after the jump.
Not according to Wanda Sykes, who riffed on 'The Jay Leno Show' (weeknights, 10PM ET on NBC) about the cuisine being served in the NBC cafeteria. "Jay, what is happening at NBC? Is the whole damn network on medical marijuana? What the hell is going on over here?"
Ok, maybe she's got a point. But really, it's sort of cool that the cafeteria served groovy Old South food. We'd like to know, what's the matter with that?
Watch the video after the jump.
Today kicks off Black History Month. Although February is the shortest month of the year, our favorite networks have more than made up for it with a plethora of programs. BET, HBO, PBS and Fox have lined up compelling shows and specials that commemorate both Black History and the Civil Rights Movement.
Highlights after the jump ...
I'm attempting to round up as much information as I can on upcoming specials and programs dedicated to Black History Month. If I've missed anything in my search, let me know in the comments and I'll include it in a future post.
A&E, Nickelodeon, BET and the History Channel will air repeats and new specials in honor of Black History Month. They include:
Biography on A&E:
Monday, February 12 at 4:00 a.m.: The Harlem Globetrotters
Tuesday, February 13 at 4:00 a.m.: Dionne Warwick
Friday February 16 at 4:00 a.m.: Bob Marley
Tuesday, February 27 at 4:00 a.m.: Whoopi Goldberg
Death all around
Despair my blanket
I pluck a pretty pink posey
Here's another addition to my list of upcoming television programming honoring Black History Month:
According to Sitcoms Online, TV Land will be re-airing the Wayne Brady talkfest That's What I'm Talking About on February 3. The three-part series featured Brady as he conversed with big names in black entertainment and politics such as Al Sharpton, Spike Lee, D.L. Hughley, Harry Belafonte, Diahann Carrol, Wanda Sykes and many others. TV Land does not currently seem to have any information on what time the repeats will air, but you can watch clips from the shows here (I had to sneak through the back door with my Google key to find the site).
I'll be sure to post about other TV shows and specials dedicated to Black History Month as they become available. If you know of any I missed, let me know in the comments.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Vampire Diaries' Quotes from 'Fifty Shades of Grayson'
- 'American Horror Story: Coven': 17 Shocking Moments from 'Head'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'Three Ghosts'
- 'Nashville': 2 Jaw-Dropping and 12 Surprising Moments from 'Tomorrow Never Comes'
- 'Scandal' Fall Finale Recap: The Devil Came In
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The X Factor': Restless Road think Alex and Sierra will win
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kurt Sutter gets medieval pilot at FX with Brian Grazer
- 'Saturday Night Live' adding black female cast member in January
- 'Scandal' fall finale recap: The devil came in through 'A Door Marked Exit'
- 'The Michael J. Fox Show' Season 1, episode 11: Annie puts Sting into Mike's 'Christmas'
- More From Zap2it
- Post Mortem: Scandal EP Breaks Down the Fall Finale's Big Twists — Including [Spoiler]'s Return
- Parenthood Recap: A Heartbreaking Twist, Forbidden Feelings and a Surprise Return
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Altar Egos
- The X Factor Season 3 Semifinal Results Recap: What Doesn't Kill You Makes a Fighter
- Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on 'Delena' Troubles, Katherine's Future and More
- More From TVLine