October 21, 2014
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:10PM
Game shows used to flood the dial of my TV back in the 1980s and '90s. And that was when my TV could only pick up eight channels, three depending on the weather.
Back then, almost everything from daytime fare to the occasional prime time bit of airtime starred game show hosts. Their purpose on television was solely to wear smart suits, make sure their teeth reached the optimum level of whiteness and keep the game moving but entertaining.
Now that game shows are making a slow but steady return to television, it seems the traditional role of "host" has turned away from the traditional "game" emcee like Chuck Woolery, Wink Martindale, Bob Barker and Art Fleming and more towards lively hosting personalities from other walks of entertainment life like Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Howie Mandel and Guy Fieri. Does this mean that the role of the traditional TV game show has gone to that great big "Curtain No. 2" in the sky?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.6 Photos: It's Halloween Time Again
- 'Gotham' Episode 6 Photos: Facing Demons of the Past
- 'Bones' Episode 10.5 Photos: Brennan Meets Her Rival
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Episode 10 Photos: Tyra Acts as Makeup Artist
- 'Reign' Episode 2.4 Photos: Let's Dance!
- More From BuddyTV