April 27, 2015
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 26th 2010 3:10PM
Game shows used to flood the dial of my TV back in the 1980s and '90s. And that was when my TV could only pick up eight channels, three depending on the weather.
Back then, almost everything from daytime fare to the occasional prime time bit of airtime starred game show hosts. Their purpose on television was solely to wear smart suits, make sure their teeth reached the optimum level of whiteness and keep the game moving but entertaining.
Now that game shows are making a slow but steady return to television, it seems the traditional role of "host" has turned away from the traditional "game" emcee like Chuck Woolery, Wink Martindale, Bob Barker and Art Fleming and more towards lively hosting personalities from other walks of entertainment life like Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Howie Mandel and Guy Fieri. Does this mean that the role of the traditional TV game show has gone to that great big "Curtain No. 2" in the sky?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- 'The Good Wife' Recap: Is Alicia Ready to Start Over?
- 'Mad Men' Recap: Is This the End of Sterling Cooper?
- More From BuddyTV