"I think you forgot to sing a song about what's weighing on everyone's mind in this room," Stonestreet told hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood. "The divorce of Kim Kardashian and What's-His-Name."
Anchor Robin Roberts was interviewing Paisley, who was named CMA Entertainer of the Year and will co-host the awards with Carrie Underwood in November, and asked him what his favorite song to perform was. "Anything new that's a hit, anything that's brand new, because you haven't worn it out and you're still experimenting with it," said Paisley, noting he was learning in front of the fans.
Roberts pointed to the boy in the crowd, who was hoisted on his father's shoulders, and suggested Paisley use him as inspiration. The father said it was his son's fourth birthday, and that Paisley had been his favorite "ever since he was two" years old. "His whole life," Paisley said. It doesn't get too much more brand new than that.
Watch the video after the jump.
The show will feature musical performances as well as skits, pairing Underwood with Dolly Parton, Kristin Chenoweth, 'Idol' season 7 winner David Cook and Christina Applegate.
Underwood recently spoke to reporters via a conference call about her special, plus her own thoughts on the holiday season. Here's what she had to say.
The problem with that, as I'm seeing it, is too many of the recurring segments just aren't working as well. An entire segment each night is devoted to these comedy correspondents, and eleven episodes in, they're more miss than hit.
Tonight, Owen Benjamin (The House Bunny) brought in a video of himself traipsing around LA offering to write jingles for smaller businesses. As with every other video segment they've done, it just went on and on and on. Even worse, none of the songs were funny.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that it's been a couple of years since I've seriously watched American Idol. I've caught episodes here and there, but haven't sat down with a full season in a while. I bring this up because I'm not sure if it's just that I've been away from it a while or if this year's group of finalists is especially good. We're still not even to the Top 10, and no one's performance was a complete disaster. Sure, I had my favorites, but nobody embarrassed themselves, which seems new to me.
What I love/hate about the results show is how, even if the contestants manage to get through the performance show embarrassment-free, that inevitably comes to an end the next night. Between the Ford commercial and the group sing, I have never watched a results show without spending a good portion cringing.
Speaking of cringing, tonight's result is kind of surprising, and I think it's going to polarize a lot of people. Someone who I thought would make it pretty far in the competition got the lowest number of votes. But does that mean he or she is going home?
(S07E17) It's crunch time. A trip to the semi-finals was riding on the results tonight. One couple would fall just short of that goal. Would it be the steady, season long leader, Brooke? Or the young, and sometimes erratic, Cody? Have fans warmed up to big Warren Sapp? Or do they prefer their championship athletes to be of the faster variety, and favor Maurice? And what of Lance & Lacey? Is it just Len, or have fans turned on them too? The answers, are after the jump, along with a rundown of the various performances and taped packages. Those include my favorite results show performance of the season, and my most hated piece of filler as well.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'The World Has Turned and Left Me Here'
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4 Premiere: Ranking the Looks of 'Made in Manhattan'
- Halloween Scarefest: Your Guide to Finding the Perfect Spooky TV and Movie Marathon
- 'Constantine' Interview: Angelica Celaya Says Zed Is 'Running Away'
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from 'An Innocent Man'
- More From BuddyTV
- Bob's Burgers Sneak Peek: Tina Tries to Scare Up a Halloween Date
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Video: Terry (and Terry) Learn All About 'Silent Disco'
- Arrow First Look: Charlotte Ross Debuts as Felicity's Smoakin' Mom
- Starz's Magic City Returning as Movie; Bruce Willis, More to Join Original Cast
- Is S.H.I.E.L.D. Security Lax? Could Flash Use Paperweights? Good Wife Gal MIA? Ziva Remembered? And More TV Qs!
- More From TVLine
- Teresa Giudice's Teen Daughter Releases Scandalous Music Video, But Did It Really Cost $10K?
- Stylish Amal Clooney is Everyone's Favorite Halloween Costume
- J.K. Rowling Celebrates Halloween by Releasing a Wicked, New 'Harry Potter' Story
- Chelsea Handler Slams Instagram for Removing Her Topless Photo
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About the 'Pitch Perfect 2' Cast
- More From ET