The onetime 'ER' actor has booked a guest role on Showtime's 'The Big C' as Dr. Atticus Sherman, an oncologist whom Laura Linney's Cathy consults after her first cancer treatment fails, the network announced today.
Also joining the half-hour comedy: British actor Hugh Dancy, who has signed on for a recurring part, Deadline reports.
In other TV news ...
• Remember that time Bret Michaels got hit in the head with a stage piece at the Tony Awards? Well, he's suing CBS and the show's producers for not telling him how to exit the stage properly. [THR, Esq.]
• CBS corporate synergy alert! Julie Chen and Holly Robinson Peete of 'The Talk' and Drew Carey of 'The Price is Right' will appear on each other's shows in a crossover event scheduled for next week. [EW]
• Alton Brown has signed a new three-year deal with the Food Network. The star will continue to develop and host shows as well as appear on 'The Next Food Network Star,' 'The Next Iron Chef' and 'Iron Chef America.' [Deadline]
Poison frontman and 'Celebrity Apprentice' winner Bret Michaels has long been Charlie Sheen's close friend and sometimes partner in mayhem. During an appearance on 'Piers Morgan Tonight' (Weeknights, 9PM ET on CNN), Michaels expressed concern for his good buddy.
"I'm going to say this, and I'm not being politically correct," Michaels responded when Morgan asked what he makes of the current Charlie Sheen situation.
"The Charlie that I know ... he's a really great guy, and openly admits he fights demons, right?" Michaels continued. "And the same drive that makes a person like myself or Charlie go out there and be nothing but great with the public, nothing but great with acting, is the same drive that can make you crazy."
In fact, Bret and Kristi have dated, on-and-off, for the past sixteen years. But earlier this year, Bret survived a deadly brain hemorrhage. Afterwards, the rocker said he had "a second chance" at life -- one he didn't want to waste.
And so, on the finale of 'Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It' (Mon., 10:30PM ET on VH1), Bret finally knelt down and proposed to Kristi. "I want you to be my wife," he said. Gibson's voice quivered as she replied: " ... Are you sure?" she asked.
"With all those afflictions that you've suffered over the last year, I would like to make you an honorary Latino," George Lopez told him on 'Lopez Tonight' (weeknights, 11PM ET on TBS). He also wondered whether karma had anything to do with it, saying, "You must've done some crazy s---."
Michaels then discussed the next operation for his heart. We'd rather have heard whether Miley Cyrus' mom cheated on Billy Ray with him, but we can assume Lopez wasn't allowed to broach those rumors.
The macaroni rascals are under fire up North for violating the "programming strategies" of MTV Canada, according to The Hollywood Reporter. While the show is doing well with Canadian viewers, the CRTC, which is in charge of regulating Canadian television, sent the channel a letter that read, "After a review of your broadcast schedule, it would appear that several of your programs are not consistent with your nature of service."
The channel's license was originally given to Talk TV Canada, whose "original programming mandate to operate an all-talk format" still applies even though the network was rebranded to become MTV Canada.
In other TV news ...
• After 20 years at MTV, programming president Tony DiSanto and senior vice president of development Liz Gately are leaving the network to form their own production company. DiSanto helped bring 'Jersey Shore' and 'Teen Mom' to air, while Gately is responsible for 'Laguna Beach' and 'The Hills.' [LA Times]
• Bret Michaels' new VH1 show, 'Bret Michaels: Life as I Know It,' will premiere on Oct. 18. Instead of dating, the new series will focus on Michaels' home life with his girlfriend, Kristi, and his two daughters, Raine and Jorja. [TV Guide]
News Roundup: 'Big Bang Theory' is a Thursday Ratings Hit, Bret Michaels to Undergo Heart Surgery and More
There was good news and bad news for NBC. Good news first: 'The Big Bang Theory' didn't hurt 'Community' -- the sophomore comedy premiered with 5 million viewers, about the same as it had been performing in the same time slot last season. 'The Office' and 'Outsourced' also did well (8.4 million and 7.4 million). The bad news: '30 Rock' was crushed by its critically panned competitor, '$#*!,' with only 5.8 million viewers, and 'The Apprentice' only logged 3.8 million. Ouch.
Though 'Grey's Anatomy' nabbed 14 million viewers, the ABC show was actually down. The not-so-great performance of new show 'My Generation' (5.2 million) did not bode well for the network either. The CW's 'The Vampire Diaries' actually managed a gain (3.6 million), even with all the competition at 8PM.
In other TV news ...
• The History Channel's hit series 'Pawn Stars' is getting its own spinoff, called 'Rusty Nuts.' The new show will focus on Las Vegas restoration guru Rick Dale, who fixes up antiques for the 'Pawn Stars' gang. [The Hollywood Reporter]
• 'The Celebrity Apprentice' winner and 'Rock of Love' star Bret Michaels will undergo heart surgery in January. The procedure is supposedly to fix Michaels' heart defect, and not related to the brain hemorrhage and stroke he suffered earlier this year. [E!]
But before we even get to the winner, let's deal with the only reason that most people watch this show: the swimsuit competition! It's a little pointless for us to describe the swimsuit section of the show, but if you continue on to the next part of the article, then you can watch a video of the hottest women in the world dancing around in bikinis. So; there's that.
Even if Mary Ellen was part of this week's group of performers, last night's Top 48 performance show was quite entertaining and offered some mind-blowing acts -- including Murray's tiger act and ArcAttack's lighting performance.
Sadly, only four will move on tonight. But all is not lost for the great acts who were sent packing tonight -- there will be a wild-card week where a few of the rejected acts will get a second chance. Let's hope Howie will be sane when the judges decide who comes back and doesn't fight to give Chipps or Mary Ellen another chance.
More on the wild cards, the YouTube week and this week's results, coming up!
The rocker, who pre-taped his appearance on 'America's Got Talent' llast night, told TV Squad that he has taken some very recent meetings with 'Idol' decision-makers.
"We'll see what happens," Michaels said. "They've got a lot of big names in there fighting hard who would like to do it. If they were to ask me, I'd be excited and would do an amazing job."
A likely conflict Michaels has with the show's 2011 production schedule, however, is already-scheduled heart surgery. The winner of 'Celebrity Apprentice' is set to undergo a procedure to repair a hole in his heart after the new year.
The rocker and reigning 'Celebrity Apprentice' winner will join 'Today' correspondent Natalie Morales in hosting the Miss Universe Pageant on Aug. 23.
Taking a break from his tour with Lynyrd Skynyrd, the 47-year-old rock star will be pairing up with the 17-year-old singer and actress to sing the hit 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn,' a tune Bret first sang back in 1988 with his band Poison and which Cyrus covers on her new release 'Can't Be Tamed.' Earlier this year, Cyrus sang backup on Michaels' single 'Nothing to Lose.'
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- 'The Good Wife' Recap: Is Alicia Ready to Start Over?
- More From BuddyTV
- Vampire Diaries Wedding Photo: First Look at Jo and Alaric's Big Day
- Mike & Molly Video: Margo Martindale Returns to Get Peggy's Goat
- Mad Men Recap: Move It or Lose It
- Girl Meets World Season 2: First Video Features Eric's Arrival, Feeny's Return
- Revenge Recap: 'Eternally Yours, Victoria Grayson'
- More From TVLine
- Mariah Carey Disses Nick Cannon in New Break-Up Track? 'Boy You Actin' So Corny Like Fritos'
- Brad Pitt Blames Face Scrape on 'Wearing Flip Flops'
- Kelly Ripa, Thomas Roberts to Be Honored at GLAAD Media Awards
- Demi Lovato Dedicates a Song to ‘American Hero' Bruce Jenner During Concert
- Kim Richards Checks Into Rehab
- More From ET