With the death of Capt. Montgomery in the 'Castle' season finale (uh, two-month late spoiler alert), the ABC cop-show-with-a-twist is getting a brand-new boss -- a woman.
According to TV Guide, former '24' star Penny Johnson Jerald will head up the 12th Precinct as Victoria Gates, whom the site describes as "a career-minded cop who spent much of her early career in Internal Affairs."
Contrary to Castle's buddy-buddy relationship with Montgomery, the writer and his detective shadow-ee, Beckett, will butt heads with the no-nonsense boss.
In other TV casting news ...
(S01E10) "You put ordinary people under enough stress, I think you'll find they're capable of anything. – Dr. Rush
While watching this episode of Stargate Universe, I kept thinking of the "Court Martial" episode of the original Star Trek series. Captain Kirk is tried for the wrongful death of a crewmate, but Spock discovers via a 3D chess game that the computer's system has been tampered with and presents the evidence at the trial. Yes, I'm that geeky.
Ok, so that's about all these episodes have in common, and there's only so much you can do with the "trial in space" story. It boils down to the characters, and in this instance, the battle lines were drawn even further in this compelling little murder mystery.
Brian J. Smith, who plays First Lt. Matthew Scott, sat down to answer fan questions. He said it's a little overwhelming joining a well-established franchise, but he tries to focus on the day to day aspects of filming. "You try not to think so much about the big picture," he said. "You try to just enjoy what you're doing as an actor each day."
He also talked about the most admirable quality of his character. "I think it's a sense of empathy," he said. "He's got a very rare quality, which is that he's able to really put himself into the shoes of other people. When he goes on missions and he's leading away teams on other planets or even on the ship itself, he takes the safety and well-being of the people he's with incredibly seriously. He's a really emotional guy, and I like that about him."
Here's the Q&A straight from our sister site, SlashControl.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grimm': 17 Nasty Surprises from 'The Stories We Tell Our Young'
- The Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Spark in the Park'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'NCIS' Season 11 Episode Photos
- 'Agents of SHIELD' Episode 10 Photos: Mike Peterson Returns to Fight Against Centipede
- More From BuddyTV
- Watch 'Downton Abbey's' Season 4 Christmas special trailer
- 'Haven' recap: Audrey and the Troubles go dark in 'When the Bough Breaks'
- 'Cupcake Wars': Justin Willman offers 'Comedy Cupcakes' cheer for the holidays
- FOX's 'Gotham' might star a 10-year-old Bruce Wayne
- TV ratings: 'Shark Tank' propels ABC to a win; 'Grimm' and 'Dracula' both up for NBC
- More From Zap2it
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs from The Walking Dead, Grey's, Sons of Anarchy and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Audra McDonald
- Ratings: Shark Tank Draws All-Time High Audience, Bones, Grimm and Dracula Rise
- Meet the Agents of NCIS: New Orleans — Plus a Few Off-the-Cuff Casting Suggestions
- Pilot News: Bunheads' Sutton Foster to Fudge the Numbers in TV Land Comedy Younger
- More From TVLine