December 29, 2014
by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 18th 2009 10:06AM
The success of Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon recently inspired me to assess the ten best movies about television. TV has been a fertile source of entertainment for filmmakers. The TV turf is also a popular setting for TV shows, and there have been some all-time great shows about the tube. Here are nine that I think warrant special recognition -- in no special order.
1. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
It all started at WJM-TV in Minneapolis. The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the perfect sitcom blend of home and work, and work happened to be the local TV news team. As Mary Richards, the associate producer, Mary Tyler Moore was the single girl America loved because she was real, funny, gorgeous and lovable. At work, the news was mangled nightly by Ted Baxter, the quintessential news reader anchorman who loved every dulcet tone of his voice and had no idea what he was reporting. In perfect irony, when the show came to an end, most everyone at WJM -- Lou Grant, Murray Slaughter, Sue Anne Nivens, Mary -- were fired. Only Ted was spared!
by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 18th 2008 8:02PM
She's trying one more time. That'll make it three attempts, but who's counting. Three attempts since the new century, that is. Anyway, the point is that Geena Davis's new police drama, Exit 19, has been greenlighted by CBS. The Oscar-winning actress (for The Accidental Tourist), is going from playing the first female president on Commander in Chief, to an eccentric New York homicide detective who's also raising two kids -- sans spouse -- in suburban Long Island.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Does Kenya Forgive Porsha?
- 6 Reasons to Watch Amazon's 'Mozart in the Jungle'
- [Videos] 'Pretty Little Liars' Winter Premiere Preview: Did Alison Kill Mona?
- 7 Christmas Episodes That (Almost) Make You Believe in Santa Again
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Episode 5.18 Photos: Can Spencer and Caleb Find Mona's Missing Laptop?
- More From BuddyTV
- The Comeback Season 2 Finale Recap: 'Months and Months of Pressure — It All Just Finally Blew'
- An Undercover Boss Rewards Waitress With a Boob Job: Yea or WTF?
- Glee: Meet the Season 6 Newbies!
- First Impression: Will ABC's Galavant Make for a Fun Knight?
- Homeland's Portrayal of Pakistan as 'Grimy Hellhole' Angers Officials
- More From TVLine